Anyone here had experience with Hagerty Insurance?

Ronnie

My local insurance agent, who currently insures my Reatta (as a daily driver), is recommending that I go with Hagerty Insurance so I can get classic car rates. My agent would handle all the paperwork and would be my first contact if I have a claim but Hagerty would ultimately be responsible for paying the claim. The Hagerty premium is very reasonable and there is no ($0) deductible which I like. The insurance is for what he called a "guaranteed value" policy for a set amount. Is that good? I would like to hear your opinions and experiences with Hagerty before I make a decision to sign up with them.

Also, the agent asked me what amount I wanted to insure the car for. He said the minimum amount they would insure is $5000. I have an '88 model that is in really good condition but it has 109k on the odometer. Any ideas what amount I should insure it for?

Any comments are welcomed and appreciated.

I have Hagerty Ins. on my Reatta and '59 Vette. Hagerty requires all insured cars be garaged and a car for each licensed driver in the family excluding the cars they insure. I have my low mileage '91 insured for $12K. The Vette considerably more of course. Labrat

I have had JC Taylor for little driven cars for years and am happy. Does require a secured garage but generally there is no limitation on driving occasionally. I do have three other cars and an RV with Geico.

Suspect Hagerty is similar though they do seem to spend more on commercials.

I have my Reatta, Z28 and '79 Trans Am with Safeco ('69 T/A is included with a packaged policy with Lloyd's). Safeco allows to insure for a stated value on the cars. They do require interior/exterior pictures of each car annually, you must have a car that is a daily driver and the car can't be driven beyond 2,500 miles annually (you can increase that to 5,000 miles for a nominal fee).

I have filed a claim with Hagerty and was quite happy with the transaction.

They sent an adjuster out and determined what needed to be repaired. They took the prices for the parts I had to find and added that in. It was close to the agreed upon value of the car but I had no issues with them wanting to total the car.

Another item, is the Hagerty Road Club, I had one trip where I used the 4 times for tow trucks and each time it was good. You get that with your policy too.

Been with Hagerty 10 years, have 3 cars insured and have filed a claim. I will keep using them.

Guest re-reatta

I have Grundy for my '90 coupe. Unlimited mileage costs $138.00 a year for agreed value of $7500.00.

I'm curious as to how to arrive at an "agreed value" with Hagerty. Does the car need to be appraised?
My insurance agent gave me a Hagerty application that had a box to enter the value of the car. I used the "High Retail" value from the NADA website for my car. That is what my agent recommended. I was happy with the values NADA shows for my car. It might be wise to get an appraisal if you have a show car quality vehicle.

My insurance agent took photos of the inside, outside, trunk and under the hood. He sent the application and photos to Hagerty. He said I should hear from them in 3 to 14 days. Will wait and see what happens next.

Guest dmaugus

Thanks for the response Ronnie. That's what I needed to know!

Keep us informed as to what you hear from Hagerty.

I received an email today from Hagerty insurance telling me I have been approved for coverage. The email directed me their webpage where I was able to download a copy of the policy declaration pages and the policy. They also directed me to contact my local insurance agent if I have questions about my coverage. At least I can talk to someone locally if I need to.

I hope they will be as fast to pay a claim, (if I ever need it), as they were to accept my payment. :D

Thanks Ronnie for starting this.

I have 3, I drive, not at the same time. I need to supply Ins. to tag them but I only drive 1 for a period of time whilst I work on the others. Any thoughts on saving money???

I don't think Hagerty is the coverage you need since, if I understand you correctly, you use one car as your daily driver. Here is the restrictions I remember for Hagerty's insurance.

• Each licensed driver in your home must have an insured daily driver vehicle.
  • The "classic car" you are insuring cannot be your main source of transportation.
  • The car you are insuring cannot be driven over 2500 miles per year.
  • The car you are insuring must be stored in a garage.

Guest mhuffy
Thanks Ronnie for starting this.

I have 3, I drive, not at the same time. I need to supply Ins. to tag them but I only drive 1 for a period of time whilst I work on the others. Any thoughts on saving money???

I have had Nationwide Insurance for 25 years. My agent tells me to add and delete coverage as I need. While sitting in my garage, I only keep a minimal comprehensive coverage. When I was planning on going to Iowa, I added the collision and liability, etc. I didn't go and canceled the coverage. This was all at his suggestion. He had me go to a specific shop to have my car appraised and some pictures taken in case there ever was a claim. I can even add and delete coverage myself online if I need to make a last minute change on the weekend or something.

I considered looking into the other types of coverages, but there are a lot of restrictions that I didn't want to deal with. Doing it this way was a few dollars more than that, but significantly less than keeping full coverage all the time.

May not be for everyone, but seems to work for me. Hope this helps.