Car Dealers and Keys

Dandy Dave

I recently bought an older vehicle from a Dealer in Massachusetts. When I picked it up there was only an ignition key with the vehicle. None for the trunk or doors. A New York State dealer told me that it is a law in New York State that a Dealer must provide 2 sets of keys with a vehicle new, or used. Is this also a law in Massachusetts? Dandy Dave!

How do you get the door open? Normally the door and trunk key are the same? In a worst case you can pull the door panel and then the lock cylinder to get the code off the door lock cylinder. I think it is still on the cylinder. From that you should be able to get a key cut at the dealer or good lockmith.

Dave,

I have no idea. I realize it is too late for you, but when in the negotiation phase, not having seen a complete set of keys, that was when this issue would have been easy to address. After they have their money, it is more difficult to get them to provide anything that you have not already demanded.

What type of car is it? Depending on what it is, there are lots of economical ways to get the keys that you need cut.

On a lot of the older cars you could remove the rear seat and stick a long screwdriver in the lock mechanism in the trunk, look for a vertical rectangular slot in the middle, no need to pry or force, it should open right up.

Guest glenn33

I don't think I've ever bought a car, new or used, that I didn't inspect the trunk if it had one. Before the sale is the time to find out about keys...

The car I bought had a button in the glove box to open the trunk with. So, I did see in the trunk before I bought it. It was only after I wanted to lock the doors that I realized that I only had an ignition key. A lot of older cars had two keys. This one is in the middle of the transition. Through a friend I had two door and trunk keys cut from the vin number at no charge. It is good to have friends in the right place in times like these. I just wondered if it was a law, or someone was pulling my leg. Dandy Dave!

Guest dokks6t9

When I purchased my 40 Olds, it had only one set of keys.. I no like!!! On my first visit to a hardware store, (a True Value),the clerk, who was new, said she would try and find a key that would be "close", but maybe no cigar. I figured what do I have to lose?? She came up with a key for the ignition, and found one that was close for the doors and the trunk. She also came up with one for the glove box, which I thought was too good to be true. She cut all three, wished me luck, and I left the store. I tried the ignition key first, and lo and behold, it was perfect!! I then tried the door/trunk lock, and much to my amazement, it was also a go!! The last one I tried was the glove box. I had no confidence in this key, but, you guessed it; it worked also!! Batted 1000, and I went and had two more sets made, from the originals.. How's that for luck??