One Marque-itis

michel88

Like many of the forum members I have been a car guy since I was a child. I could identify all the makes and years. I am interested in most old cars and trucks and will usually look at almost all the cars in a show.

I was told about a cruise in type of car show at our local Home Depot and decided to take my 63 Riviera to it last Saturday night. My Riv is a very nice driver class car that has won a few trophies at our Buick Club shows. When I drove into the show I noticed it was mostly Chevys, Corvettes and Street Rods. I did not see any other Buicks.

To say the car owners were unfriendly is an understatement. I tried to talk to some of them but they were not very receptive to anything I had to say. No one even took a look at my Riv and after a while I left. It seemed like they were only interested in their type of cars and nothing else. I can see being forcused on just your type of car but it would be nice to expand your horizons and look at other cars as well. I think you could have driven in the show in a Duesenberg and unless it was bright red they would have not noticed it.

Not all car shows are the same. Depending on the sponsor, site, etc the vehicles that show up will vary considerably.

I went to a show this weekend (no entry fee) sponsored by the AACA with over 300 cars and there was a cut off date on the age, I believe it was 1985. There was a good varity of cars that included street rods, older trucks, lots of "A" & a few "T" Fords. The good news, the show was not overrun with Corvettes and Mustangs.

I did not get an exact count but we had a minumin of 6 Buicks, 4 Corvairs, 3 Hudsons, 3 Studebakers and 1 Locomobile. etc

We have a once a month get together in a small town that the sponsor call morning coffee. It is sponsored by the local Aston Martin, Bentley and Lotus dealer. Guess what shows up, lots of sports cars, last month there were 2 GT40 Fords.

The type of cars dictate the type of people, don't be one of them, go around and talk to people with different/unusual cars and make them feel like someone cares about their "orphan"

I noticed it was mostly Chevys, Corvettes and Street Rods. I did not see any other Buicks.

To say the car owners were unfriendly is an understatement. It seemed like they were only interested in their type of cars and nothing else.

Hello Michel88, I can picture your cruise night in my mind as I have seen it myself a hundred times. With the huge variety of old car history it is amazing that the local cruise night scene could be narrow, but it is and may have gotten worse over the years. Years ago as a very young man I went to my first ever Saturday cruise night with my 1963 Pontiac, ready for the surge of interest I was sure would greet such a rare and interesting convertible. I was there for at least two hours and my only visitors were two middle aged street rod types who looked inside, one said "it ain't got a four speed" and they walked away. Welcome to the world for the Buick/Olds/Pontiac owner, I guess. And a Duesenburg? Only of interest if powered by a 350 crate motor, thank you.

This is why I support the AACA, all makes are appreciated, no street rods, and the more unusual the better. Vive le difference! Todd C

I was at the AACA show on Sunday that Barney wrote about. I spoke to the owner of a 1973 VW Thing for at least a half hour. A street rod guy asked me all kinds of questions about my 55's factory air conditioning. I have been to shows where snobbery and cliquish behaviour was the rule. I just decided to sit and enjoy the day (under a shade tree) and field questions from the folks who wanted to talk cars. My son Woody came for a

little while BTW.

I live in a predominately Chevelle/Nova/Camaro/Mustang area, but if I take the '53 Buick to a show it's like a flying saucer...people love it, usually. People in the area tend to like the Corvair too, but the only comments the Skylark gets is an occasional "nice car," or "pretty car." I guess I live in an OK area for cars, even if Chevy Chevy Chevy is the norm...

Central IL is a wasteland of Chevys and street rods. I do notice, however, that people are warmer to my 1963 Pontiac now, and my 1979 Trans Am is a star everywhere it goes. In fact my wife marvels that it brings attention from all age groups too, including young kids, so that is kind of nice after all these years.

Michael, I am so glad you wrote that post. I feel exactly the same way. I'm at the point where I am okay missing the rest of the local cruises. I'm also at the point of forgetting about the rest of the local shows too. I'd rather put the entrance fee in the gas tank and take a nice ride.

That being said, I have found my 56, and most older unmodified cars, have been attracting more attention lately. But I also think it's because a lot of people see a clean slate ripe for modification. Shows like Ooverhaulin seem to have fed that fever. Meanwhile the GS gets more attention when I'm out for a drive. Of all groups too, it's from older motorcycle guys, who always recogonize it as a GS.

No fancy chrome wheels, tiny tires, or six foot exhaust tips for me. No blowers, extra carbs, or disc brakes either. Just a plain jane unoptioned GS that is in pretty good shape. Without that other stuff it's not attractive to the other owners at gatherings, who all seem hellbent on add ons that are glossy and extreme.

The funny thing is none of those cars ,for their mods, seem to be any faster . But Bling appears to be the in thing.