My next project? 1921 Packard Coupe.

Sorry about the absence but we have just spent three days touring in the High Country of the Australian Alps. The VW Jetta TDi performed admirably. With Helen navigating we did virtually the whole 1,000 mile+ trip without puting a wheel on a "highway". This involved quite a bit of gravel and single lane roads. Great stuff!

Now someone asked about the Packard Fuelizer. I have just copied the following out of the 1922 Packard Information book for the 1-26 Single Six

Hope it helps more than it confuses.

Bernie J.

post-51681-143138515267_thumb.jpg

post-51681-14313851527_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138515284_thumb.jpg

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

Hi All

I would like to take this opportunity to introduce my number 3 son Nic.

Nic has just recently landed in Kansas with a Rotary Exchange Group from South Australia. He will be talking to Rotary Groups about Renewable Energy. Any Kansas based Rotarians out there say Hi to him. Here he is photographed with his son Julius.

Bernie J.

post-51681-143138515334_thumb.jpg

Hello again

I have just sent an e-mail to Pulfer& Williams about a reproduction ID plate for a Series 1 Single Six. It appears that they have not made one previously and require a photograph of an original one. Can anyone supply a good clear photograph that they can use.

While on the subject of "wanted". Firstly thank you Ken, I look forward to receiving the priming cup.

Next I need to obtain one useable hood latch to match the three I have. I have the four "posts" that it latches onto but also need the plate that attaches under the post to protect the paint on the side of the hood.

Bernie J

post-51681-143138515689_thumb.jpg

Now someone asked about the Packard Fuelizer. I have just copied the following out of the 1922 Packard Information book for the 1-26 Single Six

Hope it helps more than it confuses.

Bernie J.

Bernie, that would be me. Very educational, sounds like a good concept but did it actually work?

About the ID plate, I have a few in my collection and will check to see if any go back to 1921.

Hello again

An old car enthusiast's life is never dull. While work is coasting along on the Packard I think I may have mentioned that the Lagonda Rapier decided to throw the solder off the generator armature. This has now been rewound and this afternoon being Good Friday I decided that the old adage probably still applies. The better the day the better the deed. This being so I cleared a space on my usually untidy bench and set to work. But I should explain, with the Rapier the generator is gear driven. (Lagonda never trusted belts & pulleys) The water pump is driven by a dog engagement at the front, while the distributor is driven by a pair of bevel gears from the rear. Any way four hours later it is all together, the distributor re-timed and the engine running. Oh yes the Generator is putting out a nice 10 amps until the voltage regulator kicks in.

One thing, as the gear on the front is mounted on a parallel shaft with a Woodruff key, the nut at the front has to be tightened to at least 80ft/lb.

Bernie J

post-51681-143138517734_thumb.jpg

post-51681-14313851774_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138517746_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138517751_thumb.jpg

Hello again

I have just sent an e-mail to Pulfer& Williams about a reproduction ID plate for a Series 1 Single Six. It appears that they have not made one previously and require a photograph of an original one. Can anyone supply a good clear photograph that they can use.

Bernie J

Bernie,

I found some Packard plates but I don't think they are what you need. One is dated 1923 but it is a delivery plate. The other one looks like a true ID plate but appears to be much newer than your car. If the delivery plate is useable let me know, I have one from 1928 that is in much better shape.

post-51036-143138519529_thumb.jpg

post-51036-143138519535_thumb.jpg

Hi Don

Thank you again. I think that the delivery plate could fill the bill. I will copy your photograph from here and send it to P&W to see if it is suitable for them to make a repro plate for me.

It is interesting to note that my car's Chassis Number is U28317 making it 4722 earlier than the recipient of your plate. The question arises just how many Single Sixes Packard made each year?

Bernie J.

Guest 1928Packard526

Bernie —

A bit of searching in Kimes book on Packard yields these figures on Single-Six production, by year:

1920 — 1,042

1921 — 6,374

1922 — 13,883

1923 — 14,500

1924 — 9,505

Reference: Packard, A History of the Motorcar and the Company, Editor, Beverly Rae Kimes, p. 806

Later,

Pete P.

Hello KenHupp

Your priming cup arrived in the mail to-day. It looks fine and just in time to go to the platers with the others.

Week ago I mentioned our son Nic's visit to Kansas. If you would like to see where he is and where he has been you can visit his blog on VTT Renewable Energy Exchange from D9500 to D5710, 2011 - The location for information on the 2011 VTT Renewable Energy from Rotary International D9500 to D5710, progress and daily thoughts, pictures and more.

http;//vttkansas2011.posterous.com/

Bernie J.

Hello Don

Could you please post a photograph of the 1928 Delivery plate. The people at P & W would like to see a clearer example if it is the same as the 1923.

Bernie J.

Bernie,

Here is a photo of the 1928 plate, not sure it will help as it is similar to the '23 but not the same. at least it shows the plating and painted areas better, good luck.

Don

post-51036-143138525538_thumb.jpg

Thank you Don

With a price difference between $65 for a 26-32 plate that P&W have in stock and $450 for a one off pre-26 plate that will have to be specially made, I think I know which way I will go. Apart from all the people who read this thread who is going to bother to read the plate and then say "Gotcha! That is not the right plate! This one has the extra "Ask the man" logo and the number of Patents held is different!

Which is better, no I-D plate or one that is a couple of years later? At least it would have the correct chassis number. and an approximate delivery date. What do the experts think....no plate or a repro from two years later but with the correct info?

Bernie J.

Hi Willys77

Looking at the number of posts you have made in the last week it is no wonder you don't own a Packard let alone have time to restore one from a pile of junk! With my very limited financial resources that Aus$385 will almost pay for a new tyre and tube for the spare wheel. Not everyone who restores a Packard is a multi millionaire. Some of us just appreciate quality and fine engineering.

Bernie J.

an Impecunious Enthusiast.

Hi Mal

Thanks for the e-bay links. Sadly neither are the one I need. As originally the 1st Series I-D plates were hidden on the driver's side of the bulkhead up behind the dash. Unless someone lies on their back under the steering wheel they are not going to see that it is missing. When the rebuild is finally complete I will be putting one of my own "Restored by......" plates somewhere inconspicuous on the car. Somewhere where it won't jump out at judges to give them a fright.

Bernie J.

Just in case anyone was wondering about my "Brass Plates" attached is an example This one attached to an early 1930's Austin 12/6 Sports special called "Bramble" All my restored cars are given their own name in this case Bramble as the pile of bits that went to make the car were recovered from a blackberry patch. "Bottomley" was a 1928 Morris Cowley was rescued from the bottom of an overgrown garden. "Cackle" a 1923 Citroen 5CV found in a hen-house......

Bernie J.

post-51681-143138527038_thumb.jpg

Almost no work on the Packard again this weekend but all in a good cause. David & Veronique McC's visit was a great success. It was good to see their 1929 Roadster and even better to actually meet them in the person. Today has been taken up with the VSCC (AUS) Autumn Leaves run in the Lagonda. That is correct, here down under it is actually Autumn or as most readers would better understand "Fall". Great days motoring in the Lagonda, about 120 miles over some beautiful country with lunch at a small winery. Life does not get much better!

Bernie J.

With my mind firmly back into gear I am pleased to report that some progress has been happening with the Packard. Aaron has been hard at work with the body and he tells me that another two or three weeks should have his part finished. I am delighted with the progress so far but I will let you form your own opinions. Meanwhile Crankshaft Rebuilders have been hard at work too and tell me that they have just about finished with all the machining work on the motor. Crank grinding and reboring etc and I should be able to start re-assembly work in a few days.

Bernie J.

post-51681-143138530357_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138530364_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138530373_thumb.jpg

At the rate that Aaron is working I will soon have to be thinking about paint colours.

Several options have passed through my mind, Dark Green and Black, I used that on the Dixie Flyer, Chocolate Brown and Caramel has been a strong favourite but really is not "traditional" for early 1920s, which brings me to the original "Packard" Blue and Black. Can anyone provide me with a sample of the correct Packard Blue as used in 1923?

Any other suggestions?

Bernie J.

Thank you "B"

As the fenders, top of the hood and rear deck would be black that probably is not an issue. Remember it has become an open car. Judging from the little that remained of what I believe was the original paint, it was black with blue along the sides. ie. Black fenders and above the waist line with blue on the sides of the hood doors etc. My first priority is for traditional Packard sophistication and elegance. To my mind on many of the restored Single Sixes the blue is too light. It seems that the Brown & Beige combination was used more during the later 1920s That is still probably my first choice still but I would sooner not upset the traditionalists too badly. I believe that with any Packard it should be all about "Elegance, good taste and style"....

Bernie J.

Hi Earl

Many thanks for the paint colour numbers. I will have a look at then as soon as I get a chance. Right now my ideas are like Melbourne (Australia) weather changing at least four times a day.

Bernie j

Hi Chris

That is still my favourite too, only time will tell. First I need to check out available colours in upholstery hide and top material.

Meanwhile I have the prop-shaft apart. Does anyone have any words of wisdom in overhauling the uni-joints??? The front one seems OK but there is some (a little) wear in the rear one. I won't know more until I remove all the 88 year old grease & gunk but first I have to replenish my supply of de-greaser.

Bernie J.

I have just collected the first batch of things from the platers. Wow! I thought that the work they did on the parts for the Dixie Flyer were good but the headlamps and radiator shell for the Packard. I don't even want to unwrap them to photograph them. I may pluck up enough courage over the weekend. On the subject of things to go to the platers. I have just been sorting out a batch of small parts and guess what... I found the fourth hood latch! Just a day after I have sent off the money for the one I have bought on e-bay this week.

Your idiot friend!

Bernie J.

Some of you may remember I was rather shattered to find that the water-pump came out in eight pieces. Having asked around no one seemed to have a spare body so there was just one solution. Repair the thing. With some help from son Steve the job is done. Steve cleaned up my bronze welding repair to the flange on his lathe and I was so inspired with the result I decided to try completing the repairs today. Starting after lunch I have proved conclusively that eight really can go into one! All it needs now is a new shaft and some new packing gland material and it will be ready to go back onto the engine.

Bernie J

post-51681-143138535585_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138535597_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138535604_thumb.jpg