Strange Car on EBAY

Guest Model T Nick

Guest De Soto Frank

I'll agree, it's a bizarre pieces of machinery...

I'm not sure any of those things aresteam-engines... don't see anything that looks like valve-gear.

My guess is they are either air-compressors and / or water pumps... maybe this was some sort of of tag-along sprayer rig ?

It appears that the rear axle is Hotchkiss drive, and is connected via shaft to a sliding-gear transmission which is, in turn, bolted to the front pump / whatver-it-is...

The two pumps mounted amid-ships seem to be run by chain from the rear wheels; there appear to be brass check-valves in the piping running from their heads...

Don't see any boiler or burner remnants...

???

Guest De Soto Frank

I have seen some ancient agricultural sprayers ( on steel wheels ) where the wheels were geared and ran a pump, similar to the horse-drawn sickle-bar mowing machine... back in the days before we had shaft PTO bewteen tractor and implement, or even tractors for that matter...

Those bronze / brass check valves on the plumbing from the heads of the rear pumps are for liquid; they're not for air-tight sealing... at least by design...

I'm baffled... I don't see any profiles on the cylinder jackets resembling valve-chests... ???

Obviously it's a perpetual motion machine. The turning of the rear wheels powers the large diameter pumps in the rear which force air into the smaller diameter front 2 cylinders which transmit power via the driveshaft to the rear wheels. Just give it a push and away you go....

Dave, when I saw the "car", that was my first thought, and wondered if he was the high bidder. hahaha....George.. where are you??? You bidding on that car?????? If you are, good luck!!!...B

Guest buzzflood

I came across that vehicle this morning, took a bunch of pics, and started the thread, "Can anyone identify the pictured vehicle?" DAVE A responded and let me know that this thread had already been started. I have more pics, if anyone wants to see additional details.

Guest buzzflood

I posted a few additional pics of this vehicle in the thread, "Can anyone identify the pictured vehicle?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->"