RPO codes revisited

padgett

OK, the most complete list I have found is 187 pages of small print (best viewed at 200%) . However some are a bit obscure and not all were in the above.

Just went through the Reattae SPI stickers and can anyone shed more light on the codes below, think it was discussed before (still cannot get the search to work rite).

MXO MERCHANDISED TRANS AUTO PROVISIONS, O/D (in addition to ME9)

R97 CONTROL SALES ITEM NO.100

V73 VEHICLE STATEMENT USA/CANADA

YP8 MERCHANDISED PKG, CONVERTIBLE

0ZN COMPUTER SEL SUSP

1SA OPTION PACKAGE 01

1S7 DISCOUNT OPTION PACKAGE

Note these are sorted in the EBCDIC coding IBM & GM used before ASCII became common so numbers come after letters on the SPI sticker. This helps in deciding if a zero or oh, seven or Z.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest keller

FWIW, that list appears to be pretty new. Several codes I know by heart (i.e. LC2 = 86/87 Turbo Regal / GN engine, LM9 = 84/85 TR / GN engine, N89 = 86/87 T wheels) are already re-used for other things in that list. So I expect that other codes are re-used for other items as well.

If you want to see a list that is likely more in step with the Reatta era, try Buick Turbo Regal Option Codes (Regular Production Options - RPO) (at the bottom). See if that is more in line with what you expect.

I agree with Scott that GM tends to reuse some of the "marketing" codes over.

I suspect that some of the Reatta codes (1SA for example) may have been to get dealers to order both the 16 way seat and CD player at a discount to them. I would need to do a lot of research comparing window stickers with Service parts labels to actually figure out what was going on, but since the Reatta had so few options, the codes had to be some scheme to sell more options.

MXO transmission code should be in your list as it shows up in other documents.

V73 code is more a statement that it was not "export" and every Reatta I have seen has

that code. Purely Canadian cars will have a V97 code that adds the things unique to Canadian car requirements.

OZN = the single leaf rear spring

The "1SA" RPO code is used on lots of GM vehicles to indicate a "package" of other options. My Suburban has the 1SA code, and it differentiates the "LS" model from the base-level model. The LT model was 1SB. Only difference between 1SA and 1SB was cloth vs leather seating. (And the CD player that was optional on the Chevy LT, and included in 1SB on the GMC version.)

All GM vehicles that I have looked at also have 'computer selected springs'. Though in the case of the Reatta, I bet the selection size is limited to like one choice.

Interesting - YP8 gave this: "(MERCHANDISING OPTION)(4EC97 + YP8= 4EC67) CONV(YP8)"

67 is GMese for a convertible but was not used in the Reatta, all were "EC97". Looks like the covertible was considered an option.

List can be specified by make model and year back to 1976 so very useful. RPOs give years used which is nice.

1SA is supposed to be an option package. Since all of my cars have it I wonder if it might be floor mats.

Still nothing specific for R97 or 1S7 (not 157).

That might work - all three have 1SA but only the two 'vets have 1SZ (thought was 1S7 but now think 1SZ). Am sure there must have been a code for the Portfolio, is the only thing I can think of the '90s have that the '88 does not.

Yeah well the Reatta didn't really have the standard-step GM option packages. I know F'rinstance when I was trying to find my first Trans Sport in the fall of '06 (the metal-bodied replacements had been out for months) I scoured every dealership in a 300 mile radius to find one leftover with the 1SE package.

Here's a pic of a '92 Skylark brochure that I happen to have handy at the moment. 1SA isn't listed as that is the base configuration.

photo-4-1.jpg

My ruby red 92 Riv has the 1SA Base package (lowest level) whereas my midnight blue 92 Riv has the 1SE Prestige package (highest level). The 92 Riv line also had a mid-level 1SD Premium package which included the 6-way power reclining passenger seat (AC1), twilight sentinel (T82), and auto day/night rearview mirror (DD8). The 1SE Prestige package had all those plus trunk electric pull-down (A91), remote keyless entry (AU0), heated driver mirror (DK2), and theft deterrent system (UA6).

Both my 92 Rivs have the "1SZ" RPO code. It stands for "Discount, option package N"...the "N" equals 1,2,3,4,5. These numbers tie back to the particular package that is on the car; i.e, 1=A (Base model) 4=D (Premium model) 5=E (Prestige model) as examples.

On my 92 ruby red Riv, it has "1SA - Base model" and "1SZ - Discount, option package 1" where the "1" stands for Base model "A".

On my 92 midnight blue Riv, it has "1SE - Prestige model" and "1SZ - Discount, option package 5" where the "5" stands for Prestige model "E".

Guest kennyw

Indian Motocycle :> correct spelling used codes instead of names for parts. The reason back then was most parts order were sent by WIRE. codes were shorter then names and the WIRE cost less to send. A real mess now when going through the parts books. Some parts are just listed as codes with no descriptions...........Ken

As I see it , the original inquires were about descriptions surrounding 1SA/B/C, etc. and 1SZ of which I provided based on GM literature I've acquired. Sometimes the code descriptions can be criptic. But since I personally don't know who at GM creates the RPO codes, I can only speculate that the meaning behind the 1SZ Discount Option Package description might be a GM or dealer allowance or sales incentive. What would be your interpretation?

I understand the concept of discount packages (everything at Chebby used to involve bumper guards and Pontiac used to have two tone paint specials) I just have trouble understanding what, on a no option Reatta, would qualify and be known whan built.