Roger's handcrafted 1:12 scale models

Thank you to all! However, I'm not surprised from the reactions: when the frame was pictured in brass, it was looking artificial or unreal as everybody knows that frames are not made with brass. With a little paint on it, many ungainly details are gone and the illusion is much better.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

By chance, I had a steering box to photograph and measure. This is again a complicated casting part; on top of the form, its function is adding some complexity.

I had the good fortune to find in my remaining parts from an other age a worm and pinion which could be usable for that purpose. The distance between axles is indeed very near to the calculated distance; sometimes compromises are necessary.

The input and output shafts are made with brass (what else?) but I'm using steel inserts into the "casting". This will prevent to get too much play in a short period of time: brass on brass is not the best, brass on steel is much better. Hardened steel on steel is the best, but we are dealing here with a static model!

With my weak machine, I could manage to have less than .01 mm (.0004") play between the shafts and inserts; by necessity, there will be some play between the worm and pinion, otherwise I could not turn the steering wheel.

The box is not yet ready: some details must be added as well as the valve body. The pictured screws on the side cover will be replaced with more realistic ones when the box is ready.

post-66721-143138641509_thumb.jpg

post-66721-143138641517_thumb.jpg

post-66721-143138641521_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

You have less slop in your miniature box than I have in my real one.:mad:

Maybe...Do you know that the '56-'58 Cadillac steering box are very similar? The steering from my Brougham is, for that vintage, very precise, much more than the ones from my two '56 Cads, even if the steering box is the same. There was a big change for '57 at Cadillac: ball joints for the front suspension, which explain why the Brougham is more agreable to steer than the other two.

With a properly adjusted/restored steering box, you should have a much better behavior than you have now. The adjustment at the Pitman arm is one thing; you may need larger balls and other bushings. I see already your problem: to remove the steering box from a Continental is a major task; on the model it will be more easy to install as the steering shaft will be assembled with a screw to the worm shaft.

It's now ready. Of course, I still need to do the Pitman arm and the universal joint at the steering shaft. Later...

I may have to reshape the LH exhaust manifold. Its outlet is very near from the steering gear's valve body; I will see for sure when I can put the engine on the frame.

As the box is temporary installed, I can look for the idler arm and modify the frame.

post-66721-143138643472_thumb.jpg

post-66721-143138643492_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I have only detected one flaw in your frame. In the lower left of this picture is a tubular frame member. On the 1:1 the passenger side is blocked off at both ends with a fitting in the center of the inboard cap. This chamber creates a vacuum cannister that serves the Treadle-Vac as a vacuum reserve for the power brakes. It is hooked to a spring-loaded check valve on the booster that charges the cannister with vacuum while the engine is running. If the engine were to stall the check valve closes, providing approximately three applications of power brakes before the reserve gives out.

This is correct, Barry. By the way, you asked already some time ago (months ago!) if I was aware of it. In the real car, the ends are probably closed with a welded plate; I will not do that on the model. It will be easier to me to turn a hollow cylinder and insert it at the correct place. For a long time, during the construction, I used these tubes as a guide to avoid too much distorsion.

Anyway, thank you for your comments!

• 2 weeks later...

As I had not right on hand the large stock needed to do the converter housing, I began with the transmission's extension. The main part is mostly done on the lathe, with some milling. As pictured below, the extension is practically finished, with the exception of holes for the rear mount and for the speedometer gear. I took a short cut: I id not a separate cover for the access hole to the governor; why? The answer is easy: the extension is well hidden by the frame; most of the work I did will not be visible.

It's not quite the same with the converter housing: with a wide open hood, it can be seen. The people at Franklin Mint did spare here: there is just nothing after the engine on the Mark II model from this company, just the bottom is represented!

The picture is showing that housing while the part is not finished: the lower part needs some heavy work; the housing for the starter motor is to be done too.

I noticed from the pictures I have from a real housing that the above part is more rounded than the lower one; I did the entire form on the lathe, then with a good file, I did the correct shape for the upper part.

post-66721-143138656282_thumb.jpg

post-66721-143138656291_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well...I'm back from vacation; this is the reason there was no update. Today, I could complete the torque converter housing. Some holes are missing, as well as the sheet metal parts (the cover at the engine's side and the duct for cooling). This small part is the assembly of about 15 pieces!

I assembled it to the engine, together with the starter motor. It seems that I did my home work well; I had just a small interference between the engine block and the starter motor.

I will continue now with the transmission's case, another nice casting part!

post-66721-143138679609_thumb.jpg

post-66721-143138679623_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

This time, I will try to show how many separate parts are needed to form a casting with just flat brass. I'm showing the beginning: the flange of the case which attach to the converter's housing soldered to the bottom of the transmission and another picture showing the case (or what is done) to the housing.

Up to now, the case is done with 4 elements.

post-66721-143138681247_thumb.jpg

post-66721-143138681257_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Today, I finished the LH side of the case. With the addition of 5 pieces, the total count is now 23 for a total weight of 12 grams (.4 oz).

The next task will be the oil pan for the transmission. Unfortunately, I forgot to measure the depth while measuring the transmission and my pictures are no good to evaluate that. I hope that somebody from the Mark II forum will help again!

post-66721-143138689814_thumb.jpg

post-66721-143138689819_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

With the exception of a few details which will be added later, the transmission is basically finished. I even sprayed some primer on the main case as this part is really finished. The oil pan needs some cosmetic improvement as well as the oil refill tube; this part will be just inserted in the pan and fixed somewhere (I don't know yet where it is attached).

The screws you can see are not all the definitive ones; I used what I had on hand.

I will now do the front engine supports, assemble the transmission to the engine and drop the assembly on the frame. Maybe some rework will be needed; I don't know yet.

post-66721-143138695239_thumb.jpg

post-66721-143138695248_thumb.jpg

post-66721-14313869526_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you for the updates, Roger. Mounting the engine and transmission on the chassis will be an important milestone, I guess.

You bet!

And this happened this morning. As anticipated, there were some interference; the main one was between the exhaust collector and the steering gear. I have some pictures from the real car, but I cannot evaluate the distance between both elements.

I tilted a bit the manifold (the flanges will no more correspond exactly with the ones from the block) and I lowered a bit the valve body. At the end, I have a gap of .5 mm (0.02").

The other interference was between the oil pan and the second crossmember; a slight modification of the pan was the solution.

As expected also, the alignment left/right and front/rear is not perfect as many tolerances are added up.

Those imperfections will not be seen once the model is completed but I'm just unhappy that this happens...

I will have to do a device to calculate exactly the distance between the top of the air cleaner and the top of the frame (which is called point zero). With a rough measurement, it seems that I will have a gap of .5 mm (again 0.02") between the air cleaner and the hood...Therefore, I must know exactly where I am to maybe modify some elements to get more clearance; 2 mm would be nice (0.08").

post-66721-143138697314_thumb.jpg

post-66721-143138697338_thumb.jpg

post-66721-143138697354_thumb.jpg

post-66721-143138697374_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

What great work. I can hardly wait for the first engine start. Just too realistic!

Thank you John! First start: it seems that I forgot to make pistons, crankshaft and other small internal parts...

For the moment, I'm fighting with the engine's height; it seems that the top of the air cleaner will be about 2 mm above the line of the hood. I will have to cheat with the body!

'56 Mark II had an air cooling transmission. After the drive train was on the frame, I had to complete the transmission with those 2 sheet metal parts. I had enough pictures to understand the shape; anyway, I had to do 2 wood forms to shape the metal.

As those parts are more or less ready, I cleaned them and gave a coat of primer.

Right now, I don't know with what I will continue: A/C compressor and brackets for it plus generator or front suspension. You will know soon!

post-66721-143138711365_thumb.jpg

post-66721-143138711376_thumb.jpg

• Like 1