What is Considered Antique?

Guest Dee Jay

Dan caine, Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum.

Unfortunately, wikipedia got that one wrong, like a lot of other stuff.

I have never edited a wikipedia entry. Maybe it is time to start.

My head hurts too.

Guest Siegfried

Now this is what I would call a REAL down home Discussion. Personally, my antiques cover the decades 50tys, 60tys, 70tys, and 80tys. However, being a car, motorcycle/scooter, truck lover of everything motorized I have a really tough time NOT admiring a vehicle that has 25 years and longer. By some definitions 25 years is not antique, and that may be true for some, but for me, as previously stated, 25 is a good year.

I truly admire any pre-war vehicle that is still being driven. By pre-war I'm referring to the teens and earlier. I also like the ones from WW1 to WW2, but the teens and earlier are just so incredible to see going down the road. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

My Granddad, and my Great Grandmother were in the antiques business for many, many, years, going back as far as the teens and 20's. As a young un, in the 1960's, I remember asking him how old something had to be to qualify as a genuine antique. He replied, "100 years old." and he was in his 50's then. According to his Wisdom, My 1915 Buick has 5 more years to go to be a genuine Antique. :P All you folks with those "Late Model" cars have a long way to go according to Gramps. ;) Gramps would catagorize things newer as, "Collectibles." :)

So what you have is a genuine collectable antique car. In New York state, the plates do not say anitque, but "Historical" I wonder is any state has "Antique" written, on the plate?

My great grand mother made it to 102. She was a "genuine antique person." :D That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :P Dandy Dave!

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

At the risk of continuing this discussion, I will answer your question Dave.

Remember that the law does not always make much sense either.

In North Carolina, under General Statute 20-79, the answer to your question is Yes! It makes no sense to me that anything pre-war is eligible for a Horseless Carriage Plate here, but yes, anything over 35 years old in NC can have a plate that says "Antique Auto". Anything from 1943 or older can display a plate that is labeled "Antique Auto" or "Horseless Carriage", whichever the owner wants.

Here is the text of that particular section of the NC G.S. 20-79:

Historic Vehicle Owner. – Issuable for a motor vehicle that is at least 35 years old measured from the date of manufacture. The plate for an historic vehicle shall bear the word "Antique" unless the vehicle is a model year 1943 or older. The plate for a vehicle that is a model year 1943 or older shall bear the word "Antique" or the words "Horseless Carriage", at the option of the vehicle owner.

My Granddad, and my Great Grandmother were in the antiques business for many, many, years, going back as far as the teens and 20's. As a young un, in the 1960's, I remember asking him how old something had to be to qualify as a genuine antique. He replied, "100 years old." and he was in his 50's then. According to his Wisdom, My 1915 Buick has 5 more years to go to be a genuine Antique. :P All you folks with those "Late Model" cars have a long way to go according to Gramps. ;) Gramps would catagorize things newer as, "Collectibles." :)

So what you have is a genuine collectable antique car. In New York state, the plates do not say anitque, but "Historical" I wonder is any state has "Antique" written, on the plate?

My great grand mother made it to 102. She was a "genuine antique person." :D That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :P Dandy Dave!

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

As I have said many times, the 100 year old rule applied to furniture, household objects and works of art, not cars.

And the only one that uses that description anymore is U.S. Customs because they don't want stuff brought in duty free. Otherwise you could bring in any old junk and argue it was antique or collectible.

I am sorry my question caused so much controversy. The thought of that happening never entered my mind,despite what some may believe. I simply had a question and did not know where or how to access the information so this seemed to be the appropriate place to ask.

DJ, You came to the right place to ask that question. The responses merely show the controversy and various opinions that exist on this particular subject.

For further entertainment start another thread and ask for the definition of a restored vehicle. :eek: :D

Real answer is that it depends on where you are. In Florida an antique registration is for cars built after 1945 and which are at least 30 years old (this has been around for a while). For a few years Florida had a rather ugly "Collectible" plate for cars over 20 years old. This was last issued in 1999.

Key point is that an antique registration is more for tax purposes than anything else. The registration costs less, may be permanent, and is for a vehicle used primarily for parades and exhibition.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

..... Real answer is that it depends on where you are. .....

That is not correct for the original question as asked by the person that started the thread.

They asked "According to aaca guidelines, what vehicles are considered antique?"

The correct answer is vehicles that are twenty-five years old or older.

It has nothing to do with where someone is.

That is not correct for the original question as asked by the person that started the thread.

They asked "According to aaca guidelines, what vehicles are considered antique?"

The correct answer is vehicles that are twenty-five years old or older.

It has nothing to do with where someone is.

There are simple questions, but there are, rarely, simple answers

400 points!;)

LOL... My old friend Lee use to sit at the bar and ask that very same Question, "How far is up?" and then answer, "There is no up." I use to say to him, "Well, What about down then? How far is that?" Followed by dumb looks....:P Dandy Dave!

Guest Siegfried

[quote name=So what you have is a genuine collectable antique car. In New York state' date=' the plates do not say anitque, but "Historical" I wonder is any state has "Antique" written, on the plate?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dandy Dave,

The Pa. antique plates, there are two of them, state:

1. 'Pa Antique Historic Car' - This is the original purple with white lettering plate that Pa. used for years.

<O:p</O:p

2. 'Antique Vehicle' - Is the statement on the new Pa. Antique plate. The new plate features a picture of an antique car.<O:p</O:p

I'll always prefer the original plate because it really stands out to the vehicle following you, and most drivers will give you a bit more room between their car and yours. Why? Who wants to ram an antique, especially when you have no idea what it going to cost you and your insurance if you do.

Here's another Pa. plate for you. The Pa. Classic plate may be acquired for your vehicle if it is 10 years old, or out of production. The plate is white with purple lettering, and states 'Pa. Classic Car'. The classic car plate color scheme is reversed from the old antique plate.

The same driving/use restrictions apply to both the Pa. antique and classic plates. The difference is the age of the vehicle for the plates. Also, a Pa. classic plated vehicle must be inspected yearly just like a daily driver vehicle. A Pa. antique plated vehicle does not require yearly inspections.

In view of the discussion, I find it rather interesting that the Pa. Dept. of Transportation choose 25 years for antique, and 10 years for classic. I wonder why?

By the way, I like the use of 'Historical' on the New York plates. It is, in my opinion, more meaningful.