1920's Car in Durango?

Guest Bill Jones

Guest Bill Jones

We would be thrilled to find out the make of this car owned by a member of my family in Durango, our best guess the picture was taken around 1928?

Many thanks for your help. - Bill:

post-66082-143138165006_thumb.jpg

Guest Bill Jones

Thanks for the two replies, so it is either a Dagmar or a Hudson, I'll look for pictures of these two makes.

I have tried to enlage the hood and rear wheel if that helps any?

Thanks again, - Bill:

post-66082-143138165096_thumb.jpg

post-66082-143138165097_thumb.jpg

I don't think it is either a Dagmar or a Hudson. The body has a Hudson look about it but this car has front wheel brakes and Hudson didn't get them until 1927 by which time they had moved on from this style of body. Dagmar had an angular radiator - like an exaggerated Willys-Knight - and this car's is rounded. The hood on this car is too short for Hudson and the profile of the front fender doesn't match. I don't know what it is - perhaps it is from one of the more conservative makers - Stearns-Knight for example? Otherwise it is an older car retro-fitted with four wheel brakes. It is on a very long wheelbase so is something expensive when new.

Guest Bill Jones

I don't have a better shot of the rear fender, but this shows some chassis hardware and the door a little better?

Thanks again for the help - Bill

post-66082-14313816562_thumb.jpg

Guest Bill Jones
How about Marmon 1924 or maybe later.

Leif in Sweden.

Leif, It sure looks like you have found it, the picture had lines on it though so a little hard to see, could you please send it via my e-mail address or let me know where you found the picture.

Many thanks, - Bill: :)

Guest Bill Jones
The picture is from Standard Catalog of AMERICAN CARS 1805-1942.

Leif in Sweden.

Leif, I found what looks like the same picture in the "Old Cars Weekly" website and it certainly looks like a "Marmon Model 34 of 1924 vintage".

Details like; windshield, doors, wheels, side windows, running board etc. do certainly look right. It was 6 cyl. 34 hp. & 132" wb.

I will now try to find out more, and have sent pictures to the "Marmon Club" to see if they can add some history.

My thanks to Leif, and to everyone who contributed to the search.

Will keep you posted.

Best Regards. - Bill Jones.

Definitely a 1924 close-coupled four-door model 34. A sporty model in a four door sedan. This body model came out in 1922 but it has to be a 1924 because 1924 was the first year with four wheel brakes and they didn't make a close-coupled sedan any later. A slim possibilty exists that someone put front brakes on a 22 o23 but that is probably not likely.

Guest Bill Jones

Could you explain 'close-coupled' please, haven't heard that term used on cars.

Here's a nice picture of the 1924 Marmon just sent to me.

Thanks again everyone.

post-66082-14313816675_thumb.jpg

Guest Commodore

I found this definition.

"Close-coupled sedan is similar to the Sedan, this body style is shorter and thus usually accommodates only five passengers. The rear quarter windows were eliminated".