1939 Chrysler Hayes bodied club coupe

Guest redcalumet

Guest redcalumet

I have an original unrestored 1939 Chrysler Royal Windsor club coupe with the special Hayes body. I know this is a rare Chrysler with only 239 produced in 1939. I have copies of the factory announcement letter sent to the dealers along with photographs of the prototype being made in the Hayes factory. This car was never included in the factory brochures.

I need help establishing a fair selling price on the car. I have owned it since 1966 and have always kept it in good running condition. It has factory overdrive, radio, turn signals and has new Firestone wide whitewall tires. Mileage is 95,000 but the engine, transmission and overdrive unit had been rebuilt before I bought it. It was repainted in the early 50's and was originally the dark Haig green.

I have posted photos which should help determine the condition of the car. Can anyone tell me what an approximate selling price would be? I am located near Dayton Ohio and my phone number is 937-698-5815. Thanks for your help.

ps I only attached three photos due to upload problems. I can email more photos.

post-66095-143138163895_thumb.jpg

post-66095-143138163912_thumb.jpg

post-66095-143138163916_thumb.jpg

Guest redcalumet

Yes, it would be a shame to modify this car. I knew of one other one years ago but it had been cutup and rodded. If there are others out there that need restoration, mine would serve as a perfect example of how they were when new since it has every part present and has never been messed with. Where are you located in Dayton? I am just outside of Troy.

There was a guy in the wanted/for sale forum who was looking for a '39 DeSoto or Chrysler coupe. I know he liked the lines of the '39, but may not like the crisp edge on the lower part of the to to body intersection on the Hayes body. I like both.

Guest Deuce coupe

I guess it is me you are talking about ;)

Yes, I am still looking for... Concerning bodies, I like both as well, with a little preference for the regular ones;

I contacted redcalumet by email with no response yet...

Thanks,

Guest prof pat

Great looking car, wonder why they never put them into actual production, great lines. No a CHY fan, but after looking ....this may change.

mine would serve as a perfect example of how they were when new since it has every part present and has never been messed with. Where are you located in Dayton? I am just outside of Troy.

Red

I've always admired the Hayes-bodied coupes, and yours looks like a great one with which to begin a project. I'm in Washington Township/Kettering area. A friend of mine has talked with you, and has forwarded to me more of the photos that you have. Good luck with the sale. I hope to see it finished some day, as I'd love to do a feature story on one in Antique Automobile magazine.

• 1 year later...

Did this car ever sell or does anyone have any idea where there are any other Hayes body coupes?

My father had one(Royal Windsor) and I was raised going on car tours in this car. Some of the best memories I have. He was known as the 39 expert for the WPC club as well as a founding member. Unfortunately, he sold the car in the 80's in Utah.

Bill Adams Jr

Did this car ever sell or does anyone have any idea where there are any other Hayes body coupes?

My father had one(Royal Windsor) and I was raised going on car tours in this car. Some of the best memories I have. He was known as the 39 expert for the WPC club as well as a founding member. Unfortunately, he sold the car in the 80's in Utah.

Bill Adams Jr

This car was sold.

• 9 years later...

I would like to know the break down on these 1939 Hayes Coupes.  One source says 1000 bodies were delivered, another says 1016 were delivered.  DeSoto--264, Dodge--363, Royal Windsor--239, New Yorker--99, Saratoga --35, and no Imperials.  So does anyone really know?

DJW