1957 Glidden Tour

Guest Steve Hughes

Guest Steve Hughes

I own a 1911 Oakland that I purchased a couple of years back. Among the items that came with the car were some Glidden Tour bibs. There was a pair from 1957, car #107 with the AACA logo on it. Apparently this was one of the years that AACA was the host club. The other pair was from 1994, car #185 with the VMCCA logo on it, so apparently their year to host the tour. I am wanting to know if there are records from those earlier tours that would have the registration information. I would like to know who the owner was for each of these tours, and if in fact it was the 1911 Oakland. The car is titled as a 1910, so it may be listed that way in the registrations. Do any of you know if these records exist, and if so who has them?

Steve,

According to the files that we have here at the AACA Library & Research Center, car #107 in the 1957 Glidden Tour was a 1912 Buick Touring car owned by Peter F. Yeisley of Nazereth, PA.

We do not have a detailed roster of participants for the 1994 tour.

If you need more detailed information simply visit the library's website (www.aacalibrary.org) and fill out our Research Request Form.

Thanks!

-Chris

Guest Steve Hughes

Chris,

Thanks for your quick response. I just joined AACA, and intended to do a research request but had not gotten that done yet. That is the next step I guess. I have to admit that it is a bit of a disapointment to learn that the 107 car in 1957 was not the 1911 Oakland. It makes me wonder now how that bib happened to be associated with my car. It will take a bit more investigation I guess. Thanks again.

Steve,

If my memory is correct, the 1994 Glidden was hosted by VMCCA in Kerrville, Texas (the AACA Sentimental Tour is there this March).

I didn't drive my 1912 Oakland on that one, but did the tour in my 1927 Chevy Roadster.

As soon as I can find my tour book, I'll let you know what car/driver had Tour # 185

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Hmn! I never thgought about it before but I wonder if the AACA Library would like to obtain copies of the AACA Tour books for reference. I could furnish a copy of the 1999 and 2009 tour books for Vintage Tour if they are interested.

Judy

Guest Steve Hughes

Marty,

Thanks for the response, and good luck in finding that tour book. I try to keep those things too, but I hope you have a better filing system that I do. I was hoping that there would be a reader of the forum that had attended and kept the tour book. I didn't hold out much hope for "first hand" recollections of the 1957 tour so it is great that the AACA Library had a copy of the registrations from that tour.

Judy: I would think that anything that might be of interest to some members would be of interest to the Library. As long as you have copies, why not just send them in. They will file them either in the library or the circular file, whichever they choose.

Steve,

I am the editor for the AACA 75th web site. I am in the processing of posting 75 years of the club's history including meets and tours. This information is coming from the newsletters of the AACA, The Bulletin and Antique Automobile (AA).

The article that ran in the Winter 1957 AA about the 1957 Glidden was brief. But if you would like to see some pictures as well as read about the 12th, or 1957, Glidden Tour, please click on this link:

1957 Glidden Tour

Judy

Guest Steve Hughes

Judy,

Thank you for your reply and research you did to find this link. I had found this earlier thanks to a google search. It is an interesting article and group of pictures. It did not have any mention or pictures of either a 1910/11 Oakland or car #107, so did not help in my search as to the history of the Oakland. Great read, however. The fun is in the hunt.

Hmn! I never thgought about it before but I wonder if the AACA Library would like to obtain copies of the AACA Tour books for reference. I could furnish a copy of the 1999 and 2009 tour books for Vintage Tour if they are interested.

Judy

24T42,

You should send an e-mail or PM to Bookreader. She could tell you if the Library needs those books.

Steve

It may be possible that the owner of the Buick was also the owner of your Oakland. Perhaps he sold the Buick and kept the tour banners, putting them all into the Oakland. Just a thought. It may be possible to get information about Peter F. Yeisley of Nazereth, PA, and see if he owned an Oakland in 1957.

Guest Steve Hughes

West,

That thought had crossed my mind as well. I'm not sure of the best way to get information about Mr. Yeisley, however. I imagine a research request from the libraries of various clubs (AACA, VMCCA, HCCA) to see if he is listed in the roster of 1957 or the nearest one published and what he lists as cars owned. Unfortunately there are a lot of collectors that have too many cars to list everything that they own and only provide a sampling of their collection. It is probably worth a try. Do you have any other suggestions as to how to get information on him?

Steve -- I just took a minute to check for the'12 Buick in my 1957 Register and found this. 1912,Model 29,serial #1286,engine#1145,4cyl,25-28HP,touring body,fully restored,owned by Peter F Yeisley.There is no record of him under the Oakland listing. I will have more time to look at the other cars tonite,in the meantime if you have the serial number, engine # ect.of the '11 Oakland please post it as it may have been in someone elses garage prior to the '57 books printing ---Bob. The register lists by car makes and does show multiple listings.Probably over a thousand cars.

Edited by Seldenguy (see edit history)

Guest Steve Hughes

Thanks, Bob. The serial number of the Oakland is 52825. I don't find the engine number in my files, and it is way too cold and windy to go out to the shed to look for it. Hopefully the s.n. is sufficient for now. I appreciate your efforts. Is the book you are checking the 1957 roster for the AACA, or some other register for 1957?

Thanks

Guest Steve Hughes

Bob, Here is some other pertinent information that might be helpful. The car is titled as 1910 so might be listed as such. It is a Model 33 touring, 4 cylinder, 30 hp. It has been re-painted, but is mostly un-restored.

Steve- The register shows two other cars besides the Buick, a1916 Cadillac and a 1930 Packard owned by Peter Yeisley. The register was a joint venture by the Veteran Motor Car Club of America(VMCCA),the Horseless Carriage Club of America(HCCA)and our forum host, the Antique Automobile Club of America(AACA). The register was compiled and printed by the AACA. Under the Oakland listing there are two 1911 model #33s,also there were two 1910s, none of them matched your serial number.I also mistyped the register contents earlier, there are between 6 and 7 thousand entrys--Bob

Edited by Seldenguy (see edit history)

There were 9 - 1912 Buicks on the 1954 Glidden:

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CADMINI%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:RelyOnVML/> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--><link rel="themeData" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CADMINI%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_themedata.thmx"><link rel="colorSchemeMapping" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CADMINI%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_colorschememapping.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:DontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <w:DontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <w:DontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> </w:Compatibility> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1107304683 0 0 159 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} @font-face {font-family:Georgia; panose-1:2 4 5 2 5 4 5 2 3 3; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:647 0 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Georgia","serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:12.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:12.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:12.0pt; mso-ascii-font-family:Georgia; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Georgia; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} </style> <![endif]--> <table class="MsoNormalTable" style="width: 6in; margin-left: -3.25pt;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="576"> <tbody><tr style=""> <td style="padding: 0.75pt; width: 35.85pt;" width="48">

25<o></o>

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt; width: 14.25pt;" width="19">

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt; width: 381.9pt;" width="509"> Buick 1912—Edward Lawrence. Noroton. Conn.<o></o>

</td> </tr> <tr style=""> <td style="padding: 0.75pt; width: 35.85pt;" width="48">

42<o></o>

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt; width: 381.9pt;" width="509"> Buick 1912—Peter F. Yeisley, Nazareth, Penn.<o></o>

</td> </tr> <tr style=""> <td style="padding: 0.75pt; width: 35.85pt;" width="48">

71<o></o>

<o></o>

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt; width: 381.9pt;" width="509"> Buick 1912—Leona B. Johnson, West Kingston, R. I.<o></o>

83<o></o>

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt; width: 381.9pt;" width="509"> Buick 1912—Leonard F. Colpitts, Ballard Vale, Mass.<o></o>

99<o></o>

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt; width: 381.9pt;" width="509"> Buick 1912—Sterling K. Wright, Shelburne Falls, Mass.<o></o>

116<o></o>

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt; width: 381.9pt;" width="509"> Buick 1912—Edgar E. Rohr, Manassas, Va.<o></o>

</td> </tr> <tr style=""> <td style="padding: 0.75pt; background: white none repeat scroll 0% 0%; width: 35.85pt; -moz-background-clip: border; -moz-background-origin: padding; -moz-background-inline-policy: continuous;" width="48">

134<o></o>

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt; background: white none repeat scroll 0% 0%; width: 381.9pt; -moz-background-clip: border; -moz-background-origin: padding; -moz-background-inline-policy: continuous;" width="509"> Buick 1912—Frank E. H. Johnson, Lincoln, Mass.<o></o>

</td> </tr> <tr style=""> <td style="padding: 0.75pt; background: white none repeat scroll 0% 0%; width: 35.85pt; -moz-background-clip: border; -moz-background-origin: padding; -moz-background-inline-policy: continuous;" width="48">

217<o></o>

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt; background: white none repeat scroll 0% 0%; width: 381.9pt; -moz-background-clip: border; -moz-background-origin: padding; -moz-background-inline-policy: continuous;" width="509"> Buick 1912—C. H. Fahrr, Greensburg, Penna.<o></o>

230<o></o>

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt; background: white none repeat scroll 0% 0%; width: 381.9pt; -moz-background-clip: border; -moz-background-origin: padding; -moz-background-inline-policy: continuous;" width="509"> Buick 1912 Edmond L. Hanson. Grand Meadow, Minnesota<o></o></td></tr></tbody></table>

Buick #25 won an award:Outstanding woman driver

Leona B. Johnson, West Kingston, R. I., Car 71, 1912 Buick.

If you like to read the review of the 1954 Glidden and 31 pictures that appeared in the Antique Automobile, click on the following link:

1954 Glidden

Do you which one of the above is yours?

Enjoy!

Guest Steve Hughes

Bob,

Thanks for the information. That pretty well rules out Mr. Yiesley also owning the Oakland as an explanation as to how his bib ended up with my car. The Register sounds like a wonderful resource. It would be nice to have one. I don't suppose that there are very many of them left out there. If you wouldn't mind I would like to have the information on the four Model 33 Oaklands that you did find.

I guess I will need to concentrate my investigative efforts on the current time back on the history of the Oakland. The guy that I bought the car from did not have it for very long. He had gotten it from the estate of a G. W. Read from Odessa, TX. I tracked down Mr. Read to a car club in Odessa, and was able to talk with a friendly gentleman there who knew Mr. Read. The story goes that Mr. Read had owned the Oakland and numerous other cars for quite some time (who knows how long that is). Supposedly he had inherited them from "his uncle". He didn't know the uncle's name. Thought the last name might have been Smith (that narrows it down), and that he thought he was from Independance MO. That is as far as I have gotten in tracking down the history at this time.

Hopefully Marty Roth will be able to find his tour book for the 1994 Glidden Tour to see who is listed as the #185 participant. It would make sense if it were Mr. Read since he is from Odessa and the tour that year was in Kerrville, TX. Not sure how to find out who Mr. Read's uncle was, however.

Thanks again for your help.

Guest Steve Hughes

Judy,

I think you jumped a cog in the sequence of things. I don't own a 1912 Buick. I have a 1911 Oakland, and it came with a 1957 Glidden Tour bib #107. Turns out that bib #107 was registered to a 1912 Buick owned by Peter F. Yeisley which is number 42 in your above listing from the 1954 tour. I have found that Mr. Yeisley was also on the 1953 tour with a 1916 Cadillac Touring which matches information that Bob found in the "Register". I also noted that there was a 1911 Oakland Touring in the 1953 tour owned by a Paul Walker of Oxford, MA. Probably not the same car, however.

Thank you for your interest and effort in my endeavor to find some history on my Oakland.

Steve-- You mentioned that your car was registered as a 1910, of which there were two listed in the register, but neither of them were model 33's. Both were model 25's. The two model 33 '11s are: serial# A-5406,no motor#,touring, fully restored, owned by John L. Miller. And serial# A-5211,motor# 53963,touring, fully restored, owned by Harold H. Walther.I also checked with Chris Ritter at the library today and they have the 1957 register, plus the 1961 and 1968 editions. Glad to be able to help. ---Bob

Edited by Seldenguy
Typo on date (see edit history)

Guest Steve Hughes

Thanks for the help Bob. For those of you following my research story, I have a new theory as to how the 1957 tour bib that was registered to a 1912 Buick ended up with my 1911 Oakland. I dug out my 2000 roster for the HCCA, and Mr. Read, whose estate my Oakland came from, also had listed a 1912 Buick model 29 touring. I suspect that the bib had stayed with the Buick from Mr. Yeisley's time until Mr. Read's collection. Then when Mr. Read died and his collection was liquidated, those involved did not know the connection of the bib to the Buick. I now wonder if the 1994 Glidden Tour bib that I have is also for the Buick. I haven't found out about the car / driver for the 1994 tour yet. Bib # 185. If any of you have the 1994 Glidden Tour information I would appreciate finding out who registered #185.

Thanks all.