where to get steering hoses made, MI

special55

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some suggestions on where to get power steering hoses made up for my 55 Special. I tried several leads I have and nobody wants to touch them. I never even get to talk price they just say they can't make them.

I can't figure it out. I would think any of these outfits with the materials and equipement could easily knock these out. I have the old hoses that can be used for patterns and the fittings could be reused off these if needed.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich

Rich

NORS hoses that looked like the original used to show up on ebay. Buick suppliers like CARS can supply generic hoses that are functional. I could not find anyone that could or would reuse my old hose fittings. But I did get the local NAPA to make me a high pressure hose by making 2 different size individual hoses and then adapted the 2 together. It is very important to have the 2 size high pressure hose, otherwise the system will be noisy.

Willie

I make my own using only the original two ends with OEM fittings that are "rebuilt". The center reducing fitting I make from scratch. It's a simple job for a lathe and entails a bit of silver soldering. McMaster-Carr has the hose For a couple of bucks a foot. My local tractor dealer has the correct high pressure crimping machine and crimps it all together as a favor. Total cost for a new hose that looks OEM is about $10............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

Thanks for the info guys

I was thinking NOS but I'm concerned what sitting on the shelf 50 years would do to the rubber.

Hey Willie,

I had read that about the pressure hose and that's why I have stayed away from the usual suppliers. They don't seem to have the correct configuration.

Gary,

Thanks for the info. I'll give Joel a call and see if he can help.

Thanks for the info guys

I was thinking NOS but I'm concerned what sitting on the shelf 50 years would do to the rubber.

Hey Willie,

I had read that about the pressure hose and that's why I have stayed away from the usual suppliers. They don't seem to have the correct configuration.

Gary,

Thanks for the info. I'll give Joel a call and see if he can help.

If all else fails I plan on begging Bob to make me up a set ;)

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for the help.

Joe,

I spoke to Mark at Knight's and told him you sent me. As soon as I described the two different diameter hoses required for the pressure hose he ran screaming like the others. He seemed like a quality guy though and I appreciate the lead.

Gary,

I spoke with Joel and he said no problem just send them his way and he would make them up. Said he even had to deal with three different size diameters at one time. So it looks like he is the guy. Thanks for the info and I will let you know how it works out.

Rich

• 12 years later...
On 2/9/2010 at 6:52 PM, special55 said:

Thanks again for the help.

Joe,

I spoke to Mark at Knight's and told him you sent me. As soon as I described the two different diameter hoses required for the pressure hose he ran screaming like the others. He seemed like a quality guy though and I appreciate the lead.

Gary,

I spoke with Joel and he said no problem just send them his way and he would make them up. Said he even had to deal with three different size diameters at one time. So it looks like he is the guy. Thanks for the info and I will let you know how it works out.

Rich

Well bud,it's coming up on 13 years purdy quick,did they make your hoses the same with the two different size hose? I need to find someone to make me a set now.Just had my steering box rebuilt.

Thanks in advance. Rod

On 2/5/2023 at 5:26 PM, Nailbitten said:

Well bud,it's coming up on 13 years purdy quick,did they make your hoses the same with the two different size hose? I need to find someone to make me a set now.Just had my steering box rebuilt.

Thanks in advance. Rod

Go to anywhere that makes hydraulic hoses for construction equipment.  They can make the hoses for you.  Should be simple, easy-peasy.

• Like 1