Sign in to follow this  
Guest BJM

1985 Riviera Steering Wheel Detail Inquiry

two things

1 I live in Wichita and can you tell me where the car is located, I would like to take a look at it

2 Shift kit? I have been very unhappy with the shifting on my 84. I have had it worked on several time and each time it get a bit better but never good. The car shifts great, but it seems to shift to early and then falls on its face, I have to manualy down shift it. Does not make very good driving experience. I have had the cable adjusted and a spring Kit added. You guys seem to have a lot of info on this tranny, any new ideas would be appreciated. I want to drive it to Iowa but I just dont trust it yet. The car has less than 60K miles

I'm not exactly sure-- but do you (Booreatta) know if when you've had your trans worked on if the person has changed up the shifting? Basically changing at what speeds it would shift. A prior Riv owner I know had this done by someone who rebuilt the transmission. The person told the guy it would shift better and do this and that better --- it did nothing but make the car shift frequently and just perform bad all around. If this has been done I'd have it put back to specs and add the shift kit and cooler like Paul suggested. He's been around the block a few times in his Toro and gives very good advise. Just my opinion. Remember once you get it fixed to only use overdrive during crusing speeds and you'll save on the life of the trans, have better accelleration in town and really not notice a change in gas mileage around town.

Edited by sosuzguy
adding (see edit history)

Here's a link to the other W-15 optioned car in Wichita.

1985 Buick Riviera Champagne Coupe. A Buick Riviera at EUROTECH SAAB Wichita KS

Take a look at it and let us know what you think. Don't let on to the seller what he has if he's not aware of the rarity of this option. ;) Perhaps someone who would appreciate it can do some wheeling and dealing and come up with a nice car for themselves.

Added note: After reading the options tab, I'm sure the sellers don't know what they have. As one of the options, they list "vinyl buckets."

If your transmission is lugging in o/d or drive when you think it should downshift, the TCC (Torque Converter Clutch)solenoid needs to be replaced; the torque converter is not unlocking properly; it's not expensive to fix.

Ed

Edited by RivNut
Added note (see edit history)

Ed I will swing by and take a look at that car. If anyone wants any info let me know. I will get by there the next couple of days

Guest BJM
two things

1 I live in Wichita and can you tell me where the car is located, I would like to take a look at it

Let me know when and if you go look at it. It shows 88K for $4900 and the car in Indianola Iowa has 115,000 miles and he is requesting $4995 although I have offered on it and received a negotiated price - I have not committed to buy it.

The difference is 27,000 miles and 27,000 miles is 27,000 miles. You can't get them back. It's hard to compare the 2 cars apples to apples though because the IOWA car has big, clear photos with nothing to hide and the Wichita KANSAS car has itty bitty photos - I suppose we can get those blown up or go to their webiste and get bigger images.

I would have to say - I've seen 3 W15 Rivieras and all are the same color so unless someone comes in with another 1985 W15 Riviera they are all the same color exterior/interior.

Jale.

I used to be the Regional Coordinator for the ROA in eastern Kansas, and I'm good friends with the guy who used to be the RC in central Kansas. (My region was the Riviera Owners Heart Land, and his was Riviera Owners Central Kansas. Together we were ROCK and ROHL :D) Perhaps he still knows of someone who we could get to do some spying for us. I'll call him tonight and ask him.

Ed

Guest BJM
Here's a link to the other W-15 optioned car in Wichita.

1985 Buick Riviera Champagne Coupe. A Buick Riviera at EUROTECH SAAB Wichita KS

Added note: After reading the options tab, I'm sure the sellers don't know what they have. As one of the options, they list "vinyl buckets."

Ed

Ed,

Also the dealer description notes RWD. another error. I see scuff marks on the leather portion of the steering wheel and the rear bumper does not look quite as nice as the IOWA car but overall that too is a nice W15 car.

I was just reading that advertisement and it notes leather on the doors. Wow that quite an interior package. I have only seen Porsches have optional leather interiors. Those can add $10,000 to a Porsche and they hand fit the leather to the dash, door panels.

Is that chrome extension on the left side just a dummy extension not hooked to a pipe?

Ed

The 2nd owner had dual exhaust installed. I'm not sure which brand of mufflers he used but it sounds great - not loud but a real nice tone. At the Buick Owners of Maryland show 2 years ago, 3 of the 4 owners of my old W-15 met and we had a group picture taken. We've been unable to locate the 2nd owner.

The show was held at Miller Motors in Baltimore, MD. which happened to be where the car was originally sold in 1985. The owner of Miller Motors was the salesman who originally sold the car and recognized it immediately and joined our group and remembered the first owner and greeted him by name. He told us that he could vouch that the car had been properly serviced over the years and even searched company records and found some of the old service orders.

When first I bought the car I found 2 small holes in the trunk lid where the original dealer's sig had been mounted (before tape). I knew from the paperwork in the glove compartment that it had been bought at Miller Motors which was only 2 blocks from where I was born and raised. So, one rainy day I drove (not the Riviera) from my home in PA to the dealer to see if I might be lucky enough to find an old style sig that originally came on the car. The guys in the service dept. searched the shop and found 1 brand new old style sig and gave it to me with a request to bring the car back so they could see it.

It's experiences like this that, at least to me, make a car and our hobby a little more special. I couldn't have enjoyed owning and showing the car any more even if it had cost many times my original $5,700 purchase price.

Don

Edited by DonRich90 (see edit history)

I went back to look at the description again and the scuffs on the steering wheel. It looks like there might be a couple of imperfections on the right side of the drivers seat as well. But what really caught my eye this time when I looked at the pictures were the speaker housings on the lower door panels. I know nothing about the unit, but is this a part of the Bose system that was available on these cars? I can't tell by the picture of the dash either. Anyone know for sure?

Booreatta, send back some addtional pictures if you can without making someone too curious. Take if for an "unaccompanied" test drive and take your camera with you. ;)

Ed

I went by the car lot this am and the car was not there, the little guy in the office said that the car was out for a day or 2 and maybe sold. I was told that I needed to check back on Saturday. That is what I will do.

Guest BJM

I inquired about the Wichita car and offered $3000. I was countered that $4300 was as low as they could go right now.

I offered the dealer locally $3000 for his car and he countered $3500. Seriously, except for surface rust underneath - the body, chrome, plastic fillers, paint, interior are very nice and so 115,000 miles - it is superior to the other car in Wichita.

I wish I could contact the original owner listed on paperwork in the glove box but I think I have worn out my welcome on inquiries. The dealer has been cordial and patient and come down on price. If I keep bothering him, I look like a player.

I think for $3500, this is a good car to get into the hobby with. No one knows on this forum but I usually only do full body off projects on older Buicks. I have had my share of drivers including several boat tails, but none as overall nice as this car.

If I detailed the engine compartment (which I'll bet the dealer has done already) and chipped away at chassis appearance - I think this could bronze or silver at the BCA Nationals.

booreatta - do check in on the Wichita car and update when you can on the condition.

Jake,

I've got 127,000 on my '85 coupe and would drive it anywhere in a heartbeat. The only thing I've done to it mechanically was to have the driver's side valve cover pulled and have the rocker arms replaced where the EGR valve feeds the junk back into the engine. I've read a couple of threads by other guys, one of which was a dealer who said that he had that done routinely to the Rivs, Toros, and Eldos he got in with the 307 Olds motor. That got rid of a pesky tick I had.

I guess what I'm saying is that 115,000 miles on that engine is not that much to be concerned about. Two more things. !) If I had room at the house, I'd be on my way to Iowa in a heartbeat. 2) If I could get the dealer to give me 1500 - 2000 in trade for my 97 JXi Sebring Convertible, I might be headed to Iowa anyway.

Ed

Guest pfloro

Hi Ed:

YES, the Wichita Riviera has the GM/Delco Bose Music System... The bulging speaker assembly at the bottom front of the door panel house both the speaker & amplifier (25 watt). I believe the GM order code was 'UU8'. I've enjoyed the system in my Toronado for 26 years (dealer pick-up birthday is today!). 10 or so years ago, I upgraded to a direct fit receiver with single CD player. Of course, I kept the original cassette receiver. Anybody who likes music will really enjoy the Bose system. It's that good. On my car, it was the second most expensive option (about $900) after the Astroroof ($1100 ??).

Over time, certain capacitors on the amplifier circuit board deteriorate. This causes popping sounds from that particular amplifier. The parts are easily obtainable. Fortunately, I have the schematic diagram of the amp which indicates the values of these caps. My left front amp has been popping for almost a year & I hope to get to it over the summer...

Paul

I just talked to Thad Watters about his car in Indianalo, IA. I told him that I'd run across the ad on autotrader.com and was looking for a Riviera without a vinyl top just to get him talking. After talking with some interested party in Baltimore, he's aware of the W-15 package and that there were only 647 cars optioned this way. But it hasn't seemed to effect his price.

Trying to see where he stands with the car, I brought up the idea of a trade involving my '97 Chrysler JXi convertible. After doing some checking, he said that with him not seeing my car (and I was truthful about it) and me having only seen pictures of his car - the ones on autotrader- he's willing to trade me for $2,000. We have parent teacher conferences next Thurs. and Friday so I won't be called in to work (I'm a retired teacher and I sub now and then) and if the cars still there, I'm very tempted to drive the JXi to Indianola and see if I can drive the Riv home. It's only a 3-1/2 hour drive for me, so if nothing else, I'll have had a nice outing.

Ed

Guest BJM

Ed,

That sounds great. I stand behind my assessment. The interior and body are amazing, the dealer has a good reputation (as good as any dealer)

I simply could find no blemishes on the body. You know that GM rough under paint coating they used back in the day all around the lower parts of cars? It's still in place and in good shape. the seams under the car - weld ups - are fine.

Several entries back on this thread I mentioned the only rust I saw was on the bottom of the drivers door and it's incidental. Some people freak out over rust of any sort but this would be easily removed by light sanding and there is a company in Wisconsin called Tower Paints that can provide a perfect match PPG paint in a can to touch it up - none of it is visible from the outside.

Seals all seemed tight. Doors closed nicely.

I am not ready to buy yet and have no issue losing out - especially to a fellow member - but it is still on my radar.

Bryan,

That is just terrible about the 50 Buick! Hope there is some way that you can recover your money from them! That is just another black eye on the collector car hobby that it doesn't need.

79 to 85 Riv's are just not bringing any money at all. Even rare cars like the one in this thread don't seem to bring anywhere near what they should. A good friend had a very nice 1984 Arizona Riviera that was LOADED and couldn't get the money some crappy used Neon would bring. I have an 85 T Type with a rebuilt 3.8 Turbo V-6 that I can't get $1250 out of. The body is rough but not rusted away and you can't buy a used turbo motor for that money, let alone get a restorable car or a heckuva parts car with a ton of extra parts! Not sure what it is about the 5th generation Riviera's but they are an under valued, under appreciated car in the collector market.

Tim

Jake,

Have you contacted the local law enforcement agency of the "seller" who defrauded you out of the money? I don't know the particulars of Texas law, but that is clearly a violation of some type of fraud statute.

The other possibility is a small claims action in civil court, which would be a little difficult to pursue from long distance, but may still be an alternative.

I can understand that if the transporter showed up to pick up the car, he may be entitled to his payment, as it was not his fault that there was no car to pick up when he arrived, but still it seems that at least a partial refund should be in order. As for the transporter, if you hired him from a Hemmings ad, I would at least fill out a Hemmings complaint form on him.

Jake,

You never know that the police are not going to care unless you report it. If Texas law is anything like most states, this fraud is a felony. It is certainly worth a phone call to the police department to see. As long as you have the documentation available, I would urge you to pursue it. Crooks cannot continue to get away with this sort of thing if the crimes are reported. If they are never reported to the police, they can continue to do this sort of thing over and over again.

Don't limit yourself to the local police. The trucker has to have an ICC license as well. There are all sorts of interstate transportation laws that have probably been broken here; get the feds involved. I'd bet that the Texas Attorney Generals office would be interested in any scams that are taking place in his state as well. You might be able to put a scare into the guy if he thought he were going to lose his carrying permit.

Cost very little to file a claim in small claims court. It could be that it would cost the trucker more to appear than it would for him to pay up.

Bryan what state all this happened in is a mute point. Makes no difference, the bottom line is that although this was all out wrong it is considered a civil issue and police do not enforce those. Civil issues almost always require litigation. From my police experience in the matter the police would take a report and have to turn it into the district attorneys office for review to see if the DA would be willing to prosecute this case as a criminal matter. Otherwise you can pursue it as a civil matter. Things like this isn't as cut and dry as a police officer witnessing a speeder or going to a house where a domestic has taken place and there are all parties involved at the location.

Jayson,

I don't know what you mean by "From my police experience in the matter".... but I just retired after a 30 year law enforcement career. In fact, I am still an Auxiliary (meaning volunteer) Police Lieutenant.

As I indicated earlier, I am not familiar with the Texas State Statutes, but I am quite familiar with a lot of cases in multiple states where crooks have been sucessfully prosecuted for similar fraud cases. I also know that a lot of crooks get away with a lot of fraud because the victims don't bother to report it to police because they feel embarassed to have allowed themselves to be victimized.

It is really important for the victim and other potential victims out there to report such crimes. Allowing these types of frauds to go unreported allows the criminal to continue to perpetrate additional frauds.

Jake,

You may or may not be able to get your money back by reporting this crime to the police. But, If you do not report it there is a 100% chance that you will not get your money back. As I posted earlier, you should report the crime.... because that is what it is!

Your correct I suggest he make a report and go from there. My experience is years of working in a Sheriff's Office. If it was one of those situations where one party claimed this and the other said something different that got into contractual issues involving some sort of fraud etc... those were referred to the DA's office for review.

Edited by sosuzguy
elaboration (see edit history)