Clutch nightmare in a '42 sedanette

Guest Matteo bosisio

Guest Matteo bosisio

Hello everybody....i'm new in the block!!

Here's my trouble....on my 42 sedanette i've been fighting with the clutch for a while, so i'm looking for advises.

2 years ago i repainted the car, so i bought a lot of new parts as rubbers ect ect so i decide to intal a brand new clutch with pressure plate, bearing and thruout...whole deal!

this was a nightmare ...after i've got the car looking good and back on the road..3month later i experienced vibrations passed 40 mph...then it kept going worst....so after a painful search thru the whole mecchanics of the car....i found out that it was the brand new (re-manufactued) pressure plate badly machined that was going out of track and making the all car shaking....so again i've got a new one from the manufacturer...well this one does the job...but shakes when start to move the car...rought and badly...makes no fun the drive...i guess the diafram spring is deformed.....ani't get one more from this guy.....getting parts for me is expensive and troubly beacuse i live in Milan, Italy......Please anyone has experienced something like this and knows where buy good parts for ?

thanks guys

With the engine off and you depress the clutch, does the clutch move in and out easily or is it hard to operate. If it is hard or sticks or hangs up in certain spots, that could be the problem. You would need to look at the clearances and condition of the transmission input shaft to the clutch spline. Make sure the splines for the transmission are really clean.

I replaced the clutch (rebuilt pressure plate, new clutch disk, new throwout bearing and pilot bearing) on my 1948 Buick special sedanet. Got them all from Kanter. The first disk they sent was the wrong one but they sent the correct one the next day. Never had any problem.

There is one little problem that may occur if you are not aware of it. It is the No-Rol or Hill-holder if the car is equipped with one. This is a small hydraulic device connected to the clutch pedal by a rod and the brake hydraulic lines. When facing uphill and stopped, you were supposed to press on the brake with the clutch pedal all the way to the floor. If you release the brake the hydraulic device kept the brake fluid from returning to the master cylinder thereby stopping the car from rolling backwards. As you let the clutch up from the floor the hydraulic device would let the fluid return to the master cylinder, unlocking the wheel cylinders, and the car would move forward. If this is not adjusted correctly, it will drive you pazzo until you figure it out.

If vibration is the problem, you will have to asssure that all the new parts you installed are correct and balanced.

Bona Fortuna!

Joe

Guest Matteo bosisio
I replaced the clutch (rebuilt pressure plate, new clutch disk, new throwout bearing and pilot bearing) on my 1948 Buick special sedanet. Got them all from Kanter. The first disk they sent was the wrong one but they sent the correct one the next day. Never had any problem.

There is one little problem that may occur if you are not aware of it. It is the No-Rol or Hill-holder if the car is equipped with one. This is a small hydraulic device connected to the clutch pedal by a rod and the brake hydraulic lines. When facing uphill and stopped, you were supposed to press on the brake with the clutch pedal all the way to the floor. If you release the brake the hydraulic device kept the brake fluid from returning to the master cylinder thereby stopping the car from rolling backwards. As you let the clutch up from the floor the hydraulic device would let the fluid return to the master cylinder, unlocking the wheel cylinders, and the car would move forward. If this is not adjusted correctly, it will drive you pazzo until you figure it out.

If vibration is the problem, you will have to asssure that all the new parts you installed are correct and balanced.

Bona Fortuna!

Joe

Thanks guys.....yep all parts are smooth and operate right....fortunatelly i do not have the hydraulic on the clutch,,,,,,few years back i had an Hudson with the drive master...i'm stoborn so i had to have it work.....but I never bought stuff from Kanter...but the 2 bad pressure plate i've got them from Bob's,,,,you guys are right i may try to take the pressure plate to a good machine shop here.....about the fine Italian machines....well, i have to deal with lots of them for work...so i drive american classics....those never left me on the side of the road.....

Guest Matteo bosisio

Thanks guys.....yep all parts are smooth and operate right....fortunatelly i do not have the hydraulic on the clutch,,,,,,few years back i had an Hudson with the drive master...i'm stoborn so i had to have it work.....but I never bought stuff from Kanter...but the 2 bad pressure plate i've got them from Bob's,,,,you guys are right i may try to take the pressure plate to a good machine shop here.....about the fine Italian machines....well, i have to deal with lots of them for work...so i drive american classics....those never left me on the side of the road.....

Matteo:

Some Buick owners are installing late 50's Chevy clutches and clutch discs in their Buicks. (the same clutch as used on 59 vette) I do not know all the secrets to doing it, however it is mostly a bolt-on operation with the parts to watch being the throw-out pivot and the length of the actuating arm. Is your flywheel balanced???

I would think a chebby clutch should be findable in Italy with little problem.

The original style clutch used in that Buick is long obsolete and good ones are getting hard to find.

Bill

Guest Matteo bosisio

Thanks Bill,

i will investigate this solution....in April i will be visit friends in Texas, so it will be the right time to get the proper parts.....i will take the clutch out, so i can start look into the modification. yes, flywheel and armonic balancer are fine...the problems that i suffer is only while start moving the car after as soon as i relief the clucth and gets attached to the flywheel everything is fine....it is unpleasable because causes the car to shake durin the biginning of the motion......