"Special Award"??

Guest Econovanman

Guest Econovanman

I received corespondence from the AACA as to my car was being considered for a special award from what the judges saw at the Charlotte show this past April-asking for additional pictures of my car to be sent in which I did......I am wondering what happened with this special award? how many cars got it?-anyone know??

I am assuming the "Special Award" you are refering to is one of the AACA National Awards presented each year. A decription of all the National Awards is located here:

National Awards

For some of the awards, one award is presented to one vehicle in each division (Eastern Division, Southeastern Division, Central Division, and Western Division)., For other awards, only one is awarded.

A letter is sent to all members whose car is being considered for a National Award.

Typically, the letters don't say which award a car is being considered for. The photos requested help them to determine which cars will win the awards. Once the National Awards Committee makes their decision, the VP of National Awards sends out letters in December to the winners. The awards are presented at the National Awards Banquet during the AACA Annual Meeting in Philadelphia. A complete list of the National Award winners for 2009 should be available soon after the Annual Meeting in February.

The actual awards are kept on display at the AACA Nationa Headqurters in Hershey, Pennsylvania. The recepient of the award receives a recognition award to take home and their name is added to the award in Hershey.

A friend of mine received the first letter a few months back from the National Awards VP stating his car was being considered for a National Award. He received a second letter earlier this week stating that his Pontiac had won the award.

I received corespondence from the AACA as to my car was being considered for a special award from what the judges saw at the Charlotte show this past April-asking for additional pictures of my car to be sent in which I did......I am wondering what happened with this special award? how many cars got it?-anyone know??

A friend of ours, who sadly has since passed away, got the same letter several years ago. My husband took his 35mm camera and got some beautiful shots of Fritz's car and Fritz sent the best one in. His car won one of the National Awards and the photo was printed in the AACA magazine. So make sure you send a nice, clear photo rather than just a snapshot. Think Glamour Shot. :)

The results were sent out last week to the winners of national awards and to those that did not make it. In any case, just to receive a nomination is a high honor indeed.

As you can see from Bruce's post there are many categories for National Awards including special service awards to individuals. There are 61 awards that will be given out to car owners in Philly in February and nice awards they are!

The results were sent out last week to the winners of national awards and to those that did not make it. In any case, just to receive a nomination is a high honor indeed.

As you can see from Bruce's post there are many categories for National Awards including special service awards to individuals. There are 61 awards that will be given out to car owners in Philly in February and nice awards they are!

Congratulations to all the nominees and those that won a 2009 National Award!

Back in October I was so very honored to receive the letter informing me that my vehicle had been nominated for a 2009 National Award.

On Christmas Eve I received a letter with the results along with a very nice Certificate acknowledging my nomination.

Again, Congratulations to all the winners of the 2009 National Awards and to all the other nominees as well.

A couple from our region received the nomination letter a few months ago for their 1926 Pontiac, then last week hey received the second letter that they won the award. Looking over the list, we narrowed it down to 1 of 2 possible awards. This is the first member of our small Region to win a National Award in a very long time; if ever. They are very excited and are looking forward to attending the awards banquet.

I found if you do not make it the first time, your car may be nominated again. My car has been nominated three times, and like the earlier two did not make it this year. Still quite an honor just to be nominated.

The trophy for the best import is the S.F. Edge trophy ? The cars that beat me every time were well deserving. Think the last time I was nominated the two seat Bugatti from the Nethercutt collection took it. Saw the car at Hershey that year, no problem seeing who should have won!

Just be happy that they notified you won. In 2005, I won 2 service awards - the Ann Eady and the Spark Plug Award. I didn't receive a letter on either. I had also won 2 Master Editor awards that year. National assumed that I was coming because of the Masters so they didn't notify me. Their plan almost back fired as I almost didn't go that year and so I was late sending in the registration. I did get a inkling something was up when I received a call from the VP of National Awards asking me I was going to Philly that year.

I must admit they did surprise me :D but it would have been nice to receive a letter to put in my AACA scrapbook.

Judy