Christmas car memories

boblichty

What is the oldest car you can vividly remember going to grandma's house for Christmas, OR, was there ever that special new car in your drive Christmas morning as a total surprise?

I can remember between 1949-51 my dad had a 1949 Ford Customline 4dr sedan, it was light green, with 3-rib fender skirts, and it was a six cyl, stick.

I would ride up on the package tray (so much for safety) in the back window to watch the other cars as we drove from Akron to New Philadelphia to grandmas for Christmas eve. I could not have been more than 4 to 5. By five I already knew the difference between the 3 rib factory fenderskirts and the plain Foxcrafts. Geez, no wonder I turned out this way.

Approx. the same time I got a great Christmas present, it was a Ideal Toy 54 Corvette model kit about 18" long. I don't know what happened to that one, but I have two of them in my personal collection today.

The first car I actually remember was a red Plymouth Savoy. It would have been an early fifties one since I was born April 30th, 1951. They got me one of those seats for young kids that had hooks that fit over the back for the front seat. It had an off-white plastic steering wheel and a red horn button that I could push to "beep" the toy horn.

Good thing we were never in a accident. :rolleyes: I would have gone through the windshield car seat and all. :eek: Most of today's parents would be appalled at the thought of their child riding around in one of those. :D

I still have the Barbie car that I got when I was probably nine or ten. It is a 60's era Austin Healy. Peach colored body with aqua interior. Mint condition. So are the Barbie and Midge that rode in it. :)

post-36313-143138149741_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shop Rat (see edit history)

Ahhh....I remember it well. It was a "Stardust Blue" 1957 Plymouth 9 passenger station wagon. My mom and dad drove from Royal Oak, Michigan over to Southfield to my Aunt Virginia's house where my grandmother lived. There was no "Southfield Expressway" at the time and we had to wait for the miles long Massey Ferguson tractor train to pass. We just sat there, all five kids watching the giant flakes of snow piling up around us. It seems that my dad always hit that spot at just the right time just as the train was moving through the area. Definitely a wintery night to remember.

Merry Christmas! Nobody here can top that gift! from 1953-1960 the family car was a 1953 Buick that was also my first ever new car ride. I remember leaving the dealership I was 2 years and 4 months old. Still have the receipt Dad got with it. :)

Christmas car memories. One I will never forget, Christmas 1952, my parents gave me a 1916 Peerless 7 Pass. touring car. I still have it.

My earliest memory is from the late 50’s in then family 1956 Dodge Sierra Wagon, a blue and white two tone, traveling from Warren MI to Royal Oak MI for the annual Christmas get together at my grand parents. This required taking 13 Mile, which was gravel at the time across the Red Run Drain. Coming back was always a concern, especially in the snow, after my dad had a few Merry Christmas drinks. This annual trip, with 3 brothers and 2 sisters, went on until the mid 60’s. I almost ended up with the wagon as my first car. I still have a fondness for the car and keep my eyes open for one.

Guest kencary

The oldest car I remember on Christmas outings was my Dad's '59 Pontiac Catalina. My mom had the '51 Pontiac as the grocery getter, but we drove the new car to visit folks on Christmas.

I remember my dad would put me on his lap and let me think I was driving. Later, as I got tired, I remember laying across the huge front bench seat with my head on my mom's lap and my feet on my dad's. I can still see the faint green glow of the Pontiac dash as I drited off to sleep.

No seatbelts, not car seats, but somehow I survived and the memories do as well.

Ken

I am amazed how vivid the memories presented here are. We all had to be very little kids at the time, and now mostly old baby boomer geezers. Goes to show you that we were headed to a lifetime of being radical car nuts from almost birth.

My memory is not as good as it once was. I used to be able to remember everything, whether it happened or not.