Glass Markings

Starfire61

Does anyone know when GM adopted the "Soft-Ray" trademark for its tinted glass?

Did the "Soft-Ray" mark replace "E-Z-Eye," or were both used interchangeably for awhile?

I have a newer windshield in a '62 Olds Starfire convertible which I'd like to replace with one having the correct markings.

Thanks for the info-

Chuck

Guest Bob Call

I thought it was interesting that this report says that the Camero plants were primarily supplied glass by LOF and Firebird plants were primarily supplied by PPG. I would have thought that since the glass dimensions are the same for the two cars GM would have had only one supplier.

Yeah, do judges know that each car manufacturer had a trademarked name for tinted window glass and what are those names as opposed to glass manufacturers trademarked name? Also, do judges know to look for date codes on window glass? So, if I have a 63 GM A body car with a GM OEM replacement windshield with a 64 date code do they deduct points? If I have a 64 GM A body car with a GM OEM replacement windshield with a 63 date code do they deduct points?

Edited by Bob Call (see edit history)

Chuck

This report states that Soft-Ray was a GM trademark. I states that E-Z Eye was a glass manufacture trademark. So original correct replacement glass for your Olds would be Soft-Ray. E-Z Eye would be an aftermarket replacement glass not a GM OEM glass.

CRG Research Report - 1967-69 Camaro Window Glass

All the original OEM glass in my 50's GM cars was marked LOF E-Z-EYE.....Bob