6 or 12 volt?

Guest Richard Moore

Guest Richard Moore

I am restoring a 47 Super.Interior will be close to original with cloth material.Motor a stock 263 straight eight,tranny stock three on the tree.Color not a stock maroon(blue is on I D tag).Wiring is shot and will be replaced.Now the question.Do I convert to 12 volt? I would like to hide a satelite radio or ipod in the glove box.What about my stock radio and instruments?This is my first restoration.I love the look of this car which was made the year I was born.Any imput by you more experienced folks would be appreciated.

Hey Richard. A very nice car you have there. And an interesting subject, which has been bantered around a number of times on this and a lot of other forums I'm sure.

The final answer is, it's your car, do what you want. Just for the record though, if you convert to 12 volts you cannot call the car restored. And if you stick with 6 volt, make sure you use heavy guage wires for everything, especially the heaviest wire you can get for the battery to starter.

Good luck, and post some pics. We love to see these era cars.

'

Guest kencary

Richard,

6V is clearly more period correct and you will also save a bunch of aggravation over the gauges and such. You can buy 6V to 12V inverters if you want to run a 12V hidden radio or some other item.

You can also buy a little box that broadcasts your iPod or MP3 player over the stock AM radio.

If you do go for a 12V conversion, go with a 12V generator rather than an alternator. The alternator just does not look right under the hood of an old car.

Ken

Guest kencary
I used this adjustable resistor from a trailer brake controller to reduce the voltage to the 6v radio.resistor.jpg

Your gauges will need no attention and will work fine on 12v.

Willie

I agree that oil pressure and ammeter should work, but the gas tank sender surely must be electric and perhaps the temperature sender.

How can you use a 6V gas tank sender on 12V without at least a resistor?

Also use of a resistor to reduce voltage is dependant on the resistance of the 6V device connected to 12V. Based on Ohms law (V=IXR) the voltage will divide based on the resistance of the load.

What this means is that a resistor can only be used as a voltage dropping device on something that has a constant resistance/current draw. For example a resistor can be used to drop the voltage to a light bulb, but you could be in trouble trying to use this to drop 12V to 6v for a radio because the resistance of the radio changes as the volume changes.

Ken

17 years ago, I bought and restored a very low mileage 1954 Chevrolet 210. It was totally stock, except that the original owner had converted it from 6 volts to 12 volts in order to install a modern air-conditioner system in it sometime in the early 1960s. I fixed some light collision damage, repainted it in the original colors, installed correct new upholstery, replated the chrome, put new wide whitewall tires on it, and generally made the car dependable for daily use. It had 39,000 miles and had been a local car since new. When it came time to sell it, I took it to swap meets and to an antique car auction in Fort Worth. I will never forget the man who looked it over for a long time, loved it, and was all ready to buy it for my price (we were down to discussing the logistics of how to get it to his house, etc), when I told him it had been converted to 12 volts. Suddenly, he lost all interest in it, and walked away. I ended up selling the car many months later for much less than I had in it.

I will never convert a 6-volt car to 12 volts. Never. When you do that, you ruin it, as far as I'm concerned. You lose part of the uniqueness and charm and character of what makes antique cars such a great experience. I feel the same way about people who put modern engines in old cars. If that's what you want, then go buy a new car, and stop making irreversible changes to the original old ones that are still left.

Okay, now I'll get off of my soapbox. Sorry, but you touched a raw nerve.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Sherman, Texas

1948 model 71

1949 model 59

1950 model 76-R

1959 Electra 2-dr.

1962 Electra 225 4-dr. ht.

1963 Wildcat conv. 4-spd.

One HUGE issue with converting a buick straight 8 to 12v is the starter solinoid. These are a unique solinoid and were made in 6 volt only (unless you have access to WWII tank parts). I have seen too many of these ruined by putting 12 volts to them for too long. If you fry the coil windings then they can't be rebuilt.

I have heard rumors of a place in Los Angeles that can supply a modified 12v starter but I do Not know where nor do I have a name.

I wouldn't do it. A seperate 12 lawn mower battery will drive a radio for a long time.

Bill

Guest 8Straight

The decision for me was quite simple. I agree fully with Pete Phillips. Keep it original!

The only thing I miss in my 52 Special is FM radio. Short term, I have a portable radio and a small 12 volt booster pack to run it. Long term I have a 6 volt to 12 volt on it's way from Charles Meyer (6V to 12V Converter) They can be found a lot cheaper but I like the 8 amp capacity and the built in relay so the stereo's clock and amp circuits can be wired correctly. The ignition switch controls the radio power but leaves the clock power on.

I'm working on a way to conceal the stereo without modifying the car permanently. If my plan to separate the detachable face with a ribbon cable goes well, I'll post some pictures of the project one day.

I got off track there. One other consideration is was what if you kill the battery somehow and need a boost? I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think 12 volts could be safely applied to the starter side of the solenoid to crank the engine. Hopefully with enough power in the battery to run the ignition.

• 4 weeks later...

Richard; I'm coming in kind of late on this post but I agree with other posters on keeping your car 6volt. I have a 47 super as well and have never had a problem getting most elec. parts, many are available at local parts stores or Bobs out in Ca. ,and changing your car over will probably affect the value of it.

As far as the radio maybe this will be of interest to you, My wife and I drive or car all over and I wanted to have a cd player and be able to use my XM in my car as well , what I did was make a console out of marine grade plywood, painted it the same color as the interior of my car and mounted a power inverter inside and a radio on the front, I also put in a three hole accessory port to charge cells and plug my XM into, I drilled two holes in the top with a large hole saw for cup holders and a recess at the rear to hold misc. stuff. . The best part is, It's removable so if I'm showing my car I can take it out easily. It plugs in to a harness [just used a trailer plug and an antenna splitter so my AM still works] that can be hidden easily.

Just a thought Don

47 Model 56 C

• 3 years later...

Keep it 6

You can dump an 1/8 audio audio signal from an mp3 player into the antenna circuit using an AM radio modulator (120 bucks). If you are handy with electricity you can dump the signal from a mp3 player into the amp section (volume pot) of your radio for about 10 bucks and a few solder connections. Then run the cord to the glove box and call it a day. I do this with my Iphone and stream pandora. Someday i will make up USB adapter so i can charge my phone. Should be a matter of a few resistors to knock down the 6 or so volts to a nice 5 volts + - .25 which is what every USB / phone charger desires.