1953 Glidden Tour Participant List

Chris Paulsen

Chris,

Banner #262 was registered to a 1907 Buick belonging to George E. French, Latrobe, Pa.

If you go to the AACA 75th web site, you can read the article that appeared in the Spring 1954 issue of the Antique Automobile.

1. Go the AACA 75th web site
  2. Mouseover TIMELINE on the top menu
  3. Mouseover 1950s
  4. Choose 1953
  5. A list of available articles will appear. You want #8 1953 Glidden Tour.

There were four 1910 Fords on the tour:

1. #117 Ford <sup>'</sup>10 T—La Rue Royer, Milton, Pa.
  2. #204 Ford '10 T—Norris H. Corey, Sutton, Mass.
  3. #256 Ford <sup>'</sup>10 R—Raymond Bassett, Wildwood, N. J.
  4. #337 Ford '10 R--Wm. Brunt, 2-i Maple St., Massena, N. J.

Judy Edwards

Web Editor, AACA 75th web site

Chris, I just dug out my December 1953 AACA mag. It does have quite a bit of info on the Glidden, but not a complete listing of entrants. They list only the 1st,2nd, and 3rd place winners of the various classes. Sorry, but #262 was not listed. My VMCCA library does not go back that far. Perhaps someone will be able to help with their records. But I do think a call/Email to the AACA library would give you the info. --Bob

Edited by Seldenguy
Hard to beat that internet !! (see edit history)

Reason: Hard to beat that internet !! --Bob

Actually, it's hard to beat the work that Judy Edwards has done on the 75th Anniversary Site of this web site. She has uploaded untold amounts of information about our club from the very beginning, at great costs to her, since she has had to purchase old AACA magazines to complete this enormous project.

Wayne

Edited by R W Burgess (see edit history)

I was on the 1953 Glidden with my 1916 Peerless. 1917 was the cut off date so my Peerless was one of the newer cars. I had just finished restoring it, I was 17 years old. My Dad didn't trust my mechanical ability so he and my mom followed me with their new car. Hardly anyone trailored their cars back then. We drove to Cleveland for the start and then went to Columbus, Toledo, and Greenfield Village. It was the Ford 50 year anniversery and many Fords joined us at Dearborn. On the way to the judging field a down pour came and my Peerless ignition flooded. I was really upset. The Ford people towed me to one of the garages where I spent one of the most memorable afternoons of my life. In the garage was the 999 and the Ford mechanics were getting it ready to run for an exibition run. And Pete DePalo was there who was going to drive it. James Melton was there with his Rolls, he did not want to get it wet. The Ford mechanics got my Peerless dried out and running but I spent the rest of the afternoon with the mechanics, the 999 and Pete DePalo. Later that afternoon my parents tracked me down but I didn't want to leave. What a day for a 17 year old car nut.

My car didn't win anything but I received an award for being the youngest in the AACA to have restored a car. I wanted to buy the life membership in the AACA but my Dad talked me out of it because old cars was just a passing fancy. That was 56 years ago. I still have and tour in my 1916 Peerless.

Guest windjamer

Thanks for posting that Green Dragon.Half the fun of our hobby is talking with new and old friends at a meet or show or reading VARY interesting storys here on the forum.:)