Need weatherstripping?

Guest Telco

I know there's a fellow with a bunch of Reattas on a shelf that has weatherstripping available, but I don't see that as being a long term viable thing for everyone seeing as eventually he's going to sell out. However, Metro MP makes weatherstripping for low volume cars, sometimes, if the demand is there. If you are interested in getting new replacements, you might drop them an email asking them if they plan to make weatherstripping for our cars at any point. If there's enough interest, they may start doing it. Here's the email addy:

newproducts@metrommp.com

The only weather stripping that is hard to get is the convertible side strips for the top. I always have good coupe weather stripping available.

A couple of years ago at a large car show I talked to the rep for Metro and because of the low demand they were not interested in making the strips.

I got the idea that even as many and a couple hundred wasn't enough.

Guest mounthopewalt

I heard a rumour that Reattas share a similar weatherstrip with a certain vintage Corvette.

An auto restorer told me that they substitute weatherstripping on antiques using universal shapes, and have always been able to close the gap.

If anyone has found a solution for the Reatta coupe or convertible, let us know.

Hmm, ya know, a C4 Corvette does have roughly the same size door opening, and has the same sort of seal across the top. Thanks! I know a few local lots that usually have a C4 Corvette or two in their lots, and many Tulsa area lots leave their car doors unlocked when they are closed. I think I'll take a tape measure and camera out for a drive this Sunday.

Guest F14CRAZY

Metro makes expensive but really high quality stuff, in the USA. I've installed some of their weatherstripping on my LeSabre.

Hard to say about demand though. My LeSabre is definitely older but GM made MILLIONS of '71-76 B bodies, and not that many Reattas

Well, if they start getting emails requesting new weatherstripping for Reattas they may decide that a run of a couple thousand would be worthwhile. If they did, I'd be willing to buy 3-4 NEW sets.

• 3 weeks later...

I posted a question on another internet board, where a fellow who goes by the handle of specv44 posted this link. It didn't have the leaf spring listed, but it did show almost every single part on the Reatta, and if you find and click on the part, it will show what looks like a cross reference to every car that used that particular part. It looks like the Reatta and the Riviera might have used the same door seal. Can anyone confirm this? I know the doors look different, but they also kind look like the dimensions might be close.

I never have been able to get down to look at a Corvette's door seal, but I've not forgotten it.

Hi, I Have a 90 reatta coupe and a 94 c4 corvette, Just what weather strip are we trying to compare or match up.I will be more than glad to check it out and post it Bill WEB 38

Guest mounthopewalt

Good used weatherstripping for the coupe should be readily available from Jim Finn. It's the convertible weatherstripping around the door and windshield that is impossible to find.

Can the coupe door weatherstipping be modified to fit the convertiible by slicing the rubber at the roof hinges? I can't see why it would not work with some tweaking. Has anyone sucessfully replaced the convertible weatherstripping?

This will become a major obstacle to keep our cars dry, as they get older.

I've been repairing my weatherstrip with black silicone, and my car has only 50K.

There has to be a simple solution, as we only need to close a gap with a piece of rubber. Restoration shops deal with this issue with cars older and more rare than ours. Unfortunately, I have not met anyone who had any experience with the Reatta. They tell me to bring it in and they will fine a solution (for a price).

Yes, Jim Finn's used solution is there, for now. Unfortunately, the parts are going to not only be used, but also be 20 years old, so they will have a limited lifespan. A better way would be to find a workaround that allows the use of new parts. Anyone have a Riviera that they can compare the door seal to a Reatta? Rivieras were far more common, so door seals should be more available for them. According to that site I posted up, the Reatta and Riviera used the same front door seal, so hopefully that would do the trick.

On the convertible, a universal strip of the correct size and shape should work across the top of the glass when matched up with coupe door stripping. You'd just have to cut the door strip, then use a strip connector and some weatherstrip glue to connect them at the windshield. Careful work should make this leakproof and nearly impossible to detect.

Guest mounthopewalt

It's unlikely that new Riviera weatherstripping is still available. Both Reatta and Riveria are of the same vintage. Can anyone find out from GM the original OEM supplier of the weatherstripping? Maybe the tooling is collecting dust.

I've been reading threads on this site for two years, and I'm surprised that there is more concern over the obsolete windshield. The windshield should last the life of the car if it is not damaged. Replacement used windshields, and even new ones are available. Weatherstripping however has a limited life span. Once the clock runs outs, the rubber will start to disintegrate, and then what? A few of us are just trying to be proactive to find a simple solution before the problem arises.

Yes, Jim Finn's used solution is there, for now. Unfortunately, the parts are going to not only be used, but also be 20 years old, so they will have a limited lifespan. A better way would be to find a workaround that allows the use of new parts....

You just said in one of your recent posts:

Would be nice to see, but my car is junk so I won't be participating. Maybe one day, but not now.
I don't see why you would be concerned with putting used parts on your car. After all, most of the other parts are probably used. I know most of mine are.

Yes, same vintage, but they made close to 75,000 of them. It's possible that parts are still available.

Trunk seal for a 1989 Riviera

Front door seal for a 1989 Riviera

So, the door seals for the Riviera ARE available, and according to that website they should be the same, so if someone who has a Riviera and a Reatta can verify that they look the same, I'll fork over for a set to see if they'll fit.

So why don't we figure out how many people would buy 'em and approach Metro with hey, we can guarantee XXX number of orders?

I don't know what would be a reasonable price point though.

I would definitely take a set, but I'm relatively numb to pricing.

Guest mounthopewalt

Hey, we may be on to something here. There are several manufacturers that would welcome a request for quotation. I'm in for a complete set for the ragtop.

Well, I checked with Metro and they flat out said no, but I guess if others wanted to try as well they might decide to pursue it.

The part number for the door seal on that page specifically states that the Reatta and Riviera use the same door seal. Even if there's a difference between the glass being framed or unframed, it doesn't mean they won't use the same seals. They can make the door frames match whatever seal config they want. I'm going to hold out hope until someone can eyeball both cars to see.

And, on the seal link, my bad. Sorry. I'll keep checking around though. If nothing else, the place with the xref info says they have them for 275 bucks when you click on it. That doesn't mean they actually DO have them though.

Guest Richard D
Since apparently ASC did the ragtop for Buick, maybe they still have the original molds? (Or know where they went?)

Does anyone know if the weatherstripping is made with an extrusion process? With the proper dies there are probably a lot of shops who could extrude the weather stripping. We would also have to find out what the rubber material is made of.

Guest mounthopewalt

I doubt it's an extrusion, as there is curvature involved. My guess it's a poured or injected mould process. Material properties should not be critical as long as it complies to a general automotive standard.

I Checked my 90 reatta coupe against my 94 C4 corvette, They are completly different. In fact the door rubber is on the door on one and on the door frame on the other. Has anyone checked with Steele rubber products? Bill WEB 38

Same company. Apparently they renamed themselves in 2004.

That is a nice history of ASC. I didn't realize his German subsidiary did the 944 cab (one of the nicest looking cars ever made, IMHO.) The Reatta certainly has some interesting heritage!

I Checked my 90 reatta coupe against my 94 C4 corvette, They are completly different. In fact the door rubber is on the door on one and on the door frame on the other. Has anyone checked with Steele rubber products? Bill WEB 38

Bummer. Well, perhaps not a total loss, does the Corvette seal around the window match the Reatta seal around the window? If so, then a Corvette window seal could be glued to a universal seal for around the door. Worse comes to worse a couple of universals might work, would just need to make sure the points where they meet don't leak.

I've not checked with Steele, but have checked with restorationspecialties.com, and they said no.

Guest mounthopewalt

Has anyone had an auto restoration company look at the Reatta for a solution? I'd do it, but my ragtop is in winter storage.