Need high mileage oil advice

Guest Richard D

Guest Richard D

Hello all, My 90 coupe now has 141,500 miles on the clock and I change the oil about every 3,500-4,000 miles. It can take five months to get that much mileage, car is driven every day. The dip stick shows no difference at 4,000 miles, no leaks or tranny leaks. I have been using Pennzoil W10-30 here where it is always above 60 degrees and Pur-One filters. Should I switch to the new High mileage oil now available? For you engineering types is it a different oil or marketing hype? I keep thinking, if it's not broke don't fix it, but if it is a better oil for high mileage engines..... catch-22 HELP!

Many Thank's

Richard.

decide for yourself.......

Guys:> after viewing this link you will find you know less about motor oil then ever.......ken

All About Motor Oil. link is on this thread:> Dino Oil vs Synthetic (Multi-page thread 1 2).......page #3

Edited by kennyw
link didn't come through (see edit history)

High mileage oil is too general of a term for me and all cars with higher mileage can't be painted with the same brush.

Consider the difference in internal engine wear with a 140,000 mile car that has had regular oil changes at or before the recommended interval, a higher percentage of highway miles vs city driving, as well as not being driven in extreme cold or hot climates compared to another 140k engine that has had oil changes exceeding the recommeded intervals, a higher percentage of city driving or short trips vs highway miles, and all in a hot or cold climate.

I think you have to evaluate each car and how it was driven when deciding whether or not to change to a HM oil. Common sense tells us one oil would not perform equally in an engine with considerable wear vs an engine with factory new clearances. There is some merit to using an oil formulated for an engine with assumed higher clearances due to high mileage. So at some point when clearances reach a certain level from wear (extensive testing would need done to determine this) a HM oil would provide better protection. Then the question becomes would it be so much better that you would keep the car long enough to realize any perceived benefit?

Considering the condition of your engine, I would not change the type of oil.

Guest Richard D

Thank You to all who took the time to answer my question. I am not worried about the extra cost, it seems that tolerances are still tight and within spec. I am going to send a sample of 4K old oil out for anlaysis. That should tell me if there is any bearing wear or any reason to use the high mileage oil. In the meantime I will keep the same oil/filter regiment.

I would add to this that unless you started using synth oil early on, it's not a good idea to switch to it. Synth oil will clean out any deposits left inside the engine by the dyno oil, which can cause you to develop leaks. This is even though you have been keeping the oil changed, it's just the nature of the beast. I don't like seeing anyone switch from dyno to synth past 75K miles, and really don't suggest it once you hit 6 digits. Usually the time to go from dino to synth is around 10K miles, as rings seat better with dino. It's not guaranteed that the leak problem will develop if you switch to a synth at this time, but this is the norm.

I'd just keep running what you've been running, it's obviously doing the job well.

If anyone took the time to read my oil link they would find DINO oil can now be refined so well it can be called synthetic. MOBIL lost a court case on that one. You will find that you know very little about oils of any kind. It is an eye opener...........ken

Guest Richard D
3800? 141k? high mileage?

GOOD POINT!:) I was thinking of engines from the 1960's and early 70's that were considered used up if they made 100,000 miles.

Guest Richard D
If anyone took the time to read my oil link they would find DINO oil can now be refined so well it can be called synthetic. MOBIL lost a court case on that one. You will find that you know very little about oils of any kind. It is an eye opener...........ken

Hello Ken, As a matter of fact I did read your link and that is one of the reasons I decided to keep things the way they are and not listen to the marketing hype. If I had seals leaking or some other problem I would consider it.

Once again Thank You All,

Richard.

Yes: who would have [thunk] motor oil is mainly mineral oil to start with? It is a long read and at the end you know less than when you started. It sure debunks the, if it is an old motor use single weight oil as that is what it was designed for. Here I am talking motors made from 1950 or so back. I have so many friends who will not use modern oils in antique motorcycles. Basically the article says the old oils were junk. That was the reason you were doing motor rebuilds from the 40,000 mile mark. ken

Well, part of the reason. Better metallurgy (what sunk the Titanic) and being able to hold much tighter tolerances is more and you can toss in oil filters (optional in the '50s) and the 3800s roller lifters and georotor (much better than a gear pump) oil pump rounds it out.

Guest Richard D

Do any motorcycles still use centrifugal oil "filters"? Back when I was 14 I was attempting to put a Honda 305 engine on a 160 frame and for some reason I pulled one of the engine side covers and saw a cup that I did not know what it was. I figured it out, oil comes in the bottom and the cup spins at some high RPM and the trash in the oil gets plastered against the sides, so hard that it becomes part of the cup, was almost impossible to scrape any out with a pointy tool. (screwdriver)

Do any motorcycles still use centrifugal oil "filters"? Back when I was 14 I was attempting to put a Honda 305 engine on a 160 frame and for some reason I pulled one of the engine side covers and saw a cup that I did not know what it was. I figured it out, oil comes in the bottom and the cup spins at some high RPM and the trash in the oil gets plastered against the sides, so hard that it becomes part of the cup, was almost impossible to scrape any out with a pointy tool. (screwdriver)
Some of the Fiat cars (124 Spyder) used a similar system except the centrifuge was built into the harmonic balancer. It could be cleaned by removing a row of bolts that allowed an access cover to be removed.

FIAT 124 particularly. Saw quite a few that had oil pressure issues caused by gunk in the slinger. Few were caught soon enough to avoid problems. I had a '68 Spyder bought cheap with 100k and low oil pressure. Cleaned the slinger and went another 80k before selling it still running strong. One of the cars I miss though suppose a Miatta is a better car.

The 150 cc 1986 Honda "Spacy" I just bought has a slinger.

Guest Greg Ross

Had a '72 124 Spyder that I bought new, When the Oil Pressure started to studder I traded it in. Would have been nice to know at the time.

RIchard,

The oil analysis is probably a very good idea, where you bought the car with some miles on it, no way of knowing what sort of oil change intervals it saw.

I had a '74 124 Spider and it did have an oil filter. However a friend had a Fiat 850 Spider which had the centrifuge system. A lot of Fiat owners ruined their engines because they never knew/cared about cleaning out the flywheel.

To the OP: It sounds like what you are doing with your Reatta is working well for you. Just make sure you are using current quality (e.g., SM grade) oil and change it at least once a year. (More often depending on mileage.)

Edited by wws944
Add obligatory Reatta content (see edit history)

Didn't say my 124 didn't have an oil filter (it did), just said it had a slinger (also).

Interesting. Wonder if my '74 was the same way?

My friends 850 Spider, IIRC it was a '73, did not have a filter. He had it for a year or two, and traded it on a 454 'Vette. Talk about extremes...

What cleans out engine sludge is not synthetic oil per se, but how much ester content is in the synthetic oil. This is a variable situation!

The seal sweller will affect EVERY seal in the motor, so if there are currently no problems, then you don't need it.

Keep on doing what you've been doing and don't look back. I understand that sometimes we want to prevent problems before they might start, getting a little paranoid in the process, but many times these concerns are unfounded . . . at that point in time. OR we want to do something that is better than what we've already been doing. Still, in so doing we can end up with marginally better results and more money spent for (basically) naught.

Keep up your current maintenance schedule and things will probably be fine.

Regards,

NTX5467