1921 or 1922 Reo?

Steve Hagy

• 8 months later...
The picture is a 1921 REO. The REO serial numbers for 1921 went from 24301 to 34500.

I Have Reo car probably T6 touring 1922 with engine serial number T6W 84720

I have no serial number of body of car as I canot find it.

Please be so kind to help me and confirm from which year is this engine and

where I can find the serial number of body

kind regards

Andy

The engine number and serial number should be the same. Looks like you may have a later engine. The last T6 serial numbers were in 1926 and the serial numbers went from 83994 and up. However I do no see any that start with T6W. The codes with that number start with T6E (open cars) or T6G (closed cars) depending on the body style. No sure where the serial number was placed on the body.

The 1922 serial numbers went from 34501 -44000 and were T6B or TU6.

Could it be so that engines that went on buses were coded with W. The engine looks the same but the serial no. has different letter. I have two Reos from 1926. They both are Model Gs. One is 4D Sedan and the other is tn truck. Then I have one T6 engine which came from a bus and if I can remember right the bus engine has code W.

So maybe the car engine was changed sometimes during the years.

Juha Kaitanen

Turku, Finland

There was a 1922 Reo that was stolen from a fellow collector's garage 30 some odd years ago that was originally a T-6 Tourer as I remember. It was converted to a roadster as the rear half was home built and it looked it. Painted red it was. It ran quite well though as he drove it often. Poor fellow is now deceased for many years and his car has never surfaced. Always wondered about that car. He lived near Hudson NY and was a WWII Veteren. He had a slide show of photos that he shared at a local club meeting one night of his experiences of being a Glider Pilot on D-Day. His Name was Fred Soul. He was the road salesman for our local NAPA for many years. The things that jog your memory... Dandy Dave!

Not to hijack this thread, but the car Dave mentioned was NEVER stolen. I bought the car from his estate to rescued it from the garage it was stored in. The car is now owned by a gent in Port Ewen, NY and is very much loved.

Frank

• 7 years later...
15 hours ago, ThomasDGardner said:

I am considering a 1922 Reo Touring frame. It has a 6 cylinder engine with transmission and complete running gear. My Speedwagon is a 21 and came with a 4 cyl. Will the 6 fit? It looks like the same setup with the exception of the 6 cyl. The frame has other parts I can use.

You have dredged up a very old topic. Why not start your own? Just click on New Topic and off you go. Copy this post into it, then delete this post.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

The serial number on my 23 t6 phaeton is 55302. The serial number is on the top of the passenger side frame rail just behind the front motor mount. A good cleaning and a good flashlight  will help you find the number. Engine number is on the front motor mount drivers side. On t6 Reos motor numbers and serial numbers do not match. They do match on my Bultaco motorcycles though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2020 at 5:25 PM, 23Reo said:

The serial number on my 23 t6 phaeton is 55302. The serial number is on the top of the passenger side frame rail just behind the front motor mount. A good cleaning and a good flashlight  will help you find the number. Engine number is on the front motor mount drivers side. On t6 Reos motor numbers and serial numbers do not match. They do match on my Bultaco motorcycles though.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.  This one, like all of my others, is from the rather large (60,000 identified and in albums and 10-20 thousand more that aren't identified) collection of fire apparatus photos that I have.  I was raised in Cincinnati and the C.F.D. is my favorite.  They kept a fairly good record of all vehicles purchased before 1925 but this particular car wasn't given a definite year.  All I have is the photo and the information that I provided with the original post.  I still would like to establish the year on this car.  Anyone else with knowledge to share?  As always, thank you for your interest.