CL Findings on a cold snowy morning

Guest BJM

78 Buick Electra Limited

The 77-85 fullsize Buicks always interest me. I found several, some overpriced.

1960 BUICK LESABER

1963 Buick Riviera

1951 Buick Special CLASSIC CAR

The 51 Special and a nagging wife, a recipe for a good start in the hobby!

1987 Buick T-Type turbo

In case you were getting tired of black GN's ..... or ..... (see further down)

1970 BUICK ELECTRA 225 CONVERTIBLE

Tough call on the 70 Electra convertible. More of an upside. Going into winter, with this economy, a Buick guy should be able to pick this up for $4000. IF it in fact has a rebuilt 455 and TH400, plus serviceable paint, you would have a nice cruiser for a reasonable price.

Or the paint could be buying buckets of bondo, the motor rebuild could amount to a glorified tune up, who knows.

1973 Buick Centuion 2DR

This was on ebay.

1964 Buick Wildcat {One of a Kind, Classic Antique}

Hard to trust an ad that claims an 18,000 mile Wildcat 2 door hardtop but what if it's true. I'd say dude you keep theose wheels and I'll give you $6500.

1978 Buick Electra

$2000 is getting reasonable. Love that copper color.

1928 Buick country Club Coupe

Just when you thought I was only focusing on the disco ducks.

77 Buick Electra Coupe

Overpriced and a bad color. The "silver" blands out the body profile and it sort of blends into the surroundings. And needs road wheels badly.

1953 buick 2 door ht all org cool trade?

He won't get $4500. He says he has $6500 in it and now has remorse. How many of us have been there, done that. It's a Special. If it's a Roadmaster, my story is different. Love the looks of this 50's 2 door hardtop but you could easily drop $20,000 more into it.

It's the biggest dilemma our hobby faces. Muscle cars, convertibles, rarer cars get touched but these cars you will see less and less of being restored and here is a prime reason why. Economics 101

1972 Buick Rivera Boat Tail

More like a $1300 Boattail UNLESS the rear quarters and floors are truly "southern". I love the white seats. dark carpet interiors of the mid 60's through late 70's. You won't see that optimism on tan or grey interiros of the present.

*** 79 ** BUICK LESABER LTD

Stayin alive, stayin' alive ooh, ooh, ooh. stayin' allllliiiivvveeee! I'll give you $750 and my suit from my high school prom, circa 1979.

75' Buick Le Sabre Custom Conv

Becoming more under-rated in my book. These last convertibles sported smart squared off styling. You guys know I am a fan of the 75-76 Buick corporate dash and done in red, with the wood accent, is really nice. If this is a 46,000 mile car, then the price is in line.

5300 made.

1957 Buick Special Hardtop

This is one reason why you don't buy from a dealer. This is a very nice car but he wants his dealer mark up back out of the car now that he wants or needs to sell it.

I suspect this is a fellow that felt he deserved to own a nice nestegg derived "classic car" - paid whatever to get it very nice and very 'now' and has seen his portfolio drop through the floor. I would just keep it and enjoy for many years to come. Bring it to Iowa for the 2010 BCA Nationals!

1995 BUICK RIVIERA SUPERCHARGED

Don't forget the last gen Rivieras are at rock bottom prices and due to the bulletproof 3.8L V6, they are still plentiful. I went to the local U Wrench It Yard 2 weeks ago and thankfully did not see any of these there, but just like we had an onslaught of the 79-85 Rivieras in there for a few years (now almost gone) you will see these 95 to 99's in there soon.

This is the LAST clean sheet Buick 2 door model our great company made.

I just purchased an 88 LeSabre T Type after no being able to afford them for years. Ditto the 95-99 Riviera. They held their price for so long, but as they aged, nobody would lend me the money to buy one and they were too expensive for a cash purchase. Now they are all over Craigs List in various coniditons. Just run a RIVIERA search in any CL city and 5 to 10 of them will pop up.

Some people don't like the styling but the sum is greater then the parts. We used to get these as clean trade-ins at the dealership I worked at, and with shiny paint, nice interiors and especially the chromed wheels, they are stunning.

87 Buick Grand National

....or if you prefer black. 42,000 miles, still all stock.

1984 Buick Riviera

Overpriced but very nice. These are still around, in what is numerically low original mileage. Make sure the transmission has been serviced regularly or better yet, rebuilt already.

1960 Buick Electra 2 Dr Ht, Last Drove in 1972, Very Solid

WOW! I would love to have this barn find-ish Electra. What a story! Look at that mauve color. THIS car needs to go to one of our 59-60 Buick nuts.

1954 Buick Century in Original Rust Free Condition

One for Mr. Earl. Or me! Great color, nice car, entry level into the hobby price. What more could you ask for?

1997 BUICK RIVIERA

This one is way overpriced, but shows so well what I was talking about (dark color / chrome wheels ) and has low mileage.

1997 BUICK RIVIERA

Shows well, nice black on black but I think over priced. You can get a lot of Boattail for $3500 or so and this is listed at double that.

1960 buick convevt

1969 Buick Riviera GS

Folks, I want you to know I have made contact with this seller and he has offered this 69 Riviera GS to me for $650 and I'll bet he would go lower. This is a HUGE bargain that will go unpurchased - probably.

The GS has the 3.42 posi rear axle and suspension package. This one is a bench seat car with manual windows. I completely diassembled my 68 Riviera that was loaded and I can tell you the wiring harnesses alone weighed 65 pounds! So I would buy this car for the great styling and neck snapping performance you are going to get from a properly tuned 360 horespower 430 and the 3.42 posi.

The car alone could be parted for $2500 trust me. I'm not a Buick parts guy but I play one on TV.

Seriously - please save this car. I'm pretty tapped out with what I have and have coming. I can buy it for you and save it, keep it here for awhile but really need to stop my personal madness and pass on the car.

1969 buick gs convert

I emailed him and got no response. I don't care how rusty it is, this is a rare and desirable car that is supported by the catalog companies.

1940 Buick Special

Proving once again you don't need thousands of dollars to get into the hobby.

Some deals in that batch to be sure. A couple were of interest, but a bit too far away. As it is, I'm looking at buying a '26 - 20 just to be able to provide parts for folks who need them rather than it being sold for scrap.

There's a couple there I'd be all over if the home situation were a bit different. I'm with you on the stock wheels for the Wildcat.

Some deals in that batch to be sure. A couple were of interest, but a bit too far away. As it is, I'm looking at buying a '26 - 20 just to be able to provide parts for folks who need them rather than it being sold for scrap.

I'm surprised there isn't more comment. The 60 Electra 2 door "bubbletop" is pretty rare. You see a fair amount of Lesabres but not the Electras in 59-61.

This post and seeing some of the reasonable prices is the reason it's not expensive to get into the hobby. The issue is always that convertibles and muscle cars and such draw all the demand.

I actually have to resist NOT buying a pair of 75-76 Buicks. I really like them. I would like to get a 75 Riviera and a 75 LeSabre convertible. But these cars, even the Free Spirits and the GS's don't get a lot of love.

Thanks for referencing my 1984 Riviera. It does have a rebuilt transmission, and a new water pump. I drove it from Minneapolis to the ROA meet in Galena last year - 20 mpg and no problems. I agree that $3495 is overpriced. I always hope for a buyer with more money than brains. I'll take $3,000 from any BCA or ROA member.

Thanks again, Jake.

Hey Bryan, interested in the '79 you posted in another thread; where is Webster City?

Thanks in advance,

Steve in Mpls.

Steve

Webster City is in north central Iowa off highway 20, as close to Minnesota as I am (equal distance) I would love to run up and check it out for you or any one. I am still mulling it over. It's a bargain.

Thanks for referencing my 1984 Riviera. It does have a rebuilt transmission, and a new water pump. I drove it from Minneapolis to the ROA meet in Galena last year - 20 mpg and no problems. I agree that $3495 is overpriced. I always hope for a buyer with more money than brains. I'll take $3,000 from any BCA or ROA member.

Thanks again, Jake.

Jim

Overpriced only in the context of what is available. And not overpriced by much. As I stated - very nice. It seems these 79-85 Rivieras are either nicely maintained or owners have just not been able to keep up with the maintenance.

I love your car - nice colors, sunroof. That 20 mpg you refer to, front wheel drive. Plenty of room. In terms of the competition as a collector car - if that is the right word I'm not sure - you are up against a lot of value in the field right now.

• 10 years later...
1 hour ago, CLEM17 said:

Anyone interested in a 1963 Buick Riviera, true barn find car from northeast KS? Motor runs, Forward is out of the Power Glide.

Wouldn’t it make sense to start your own new post rather than latch on to one that is 11 years old? In addition pictures and price are an asset in selling on this site.