Have a laugh

Guest ekvh

I somehow locked myself out of my car last night with the keys still in. The trunk is open. Any ideas how I can get in? It's an 88. I thought I could push the trunk access door down, but it feels like it will do more damage than I desire. I suppose I can see if I can pry the door open enough to get a rod or the like in enough to hit the unlock button. Anyone have any easier ways? If you don't wish the world to know send me a pm.

Guest Richard D

I know this is the easy way out but with all the stuff in the door, light for lock cylinder, wiring for power locks, etc. You may do more damage trying to use a slim Jim than a locksmith would charge.

Talk about a fast reply!!!!No, I meant to pry the window away at the top of the window and gain access to the switch through that opening. I did it on an 86 Pontiac with the same type of locks. I used a piece of copper tubing and went all the way across to the passenger side.

It usually takes me only a few minutes.

Using a screw drivers with some protection so you don't chip the paint, pull the top of the door window away from the roof and then stick in some wooden blocks to hold it away from the roof. Using a rod with a bend in the end you can press the power door lock button.

Guest crtnrds

I had a guy open my Reatta door for me once. He did essentially the same as Jims' method except he used a small air bag, such as a blood preasure arm band, to pry the window away at the top. Worked well with less danger of breaking glass.

Guest Richard D

Lets face it, if someone wants to get in your car bad enough, no matter what kind of car he or she will do it in less than 30 seconds, even if it involves a pile of tempered glass on the ground.:mad:

Guest F14CRAZY

I had the same thing happen to me before. I was able to remove one of the rear speakers (my grills were broken anyway) and press the unlock button with a stick of sorts

Also that method will trigger the anti-theft mechanism. I routinely leave the 'vert at stores with the top down and interior compartments locked (why I am fitting an 88 glove box) but if anyone just unlocks & opens the door, the horns will go off.

I have a glitch in the anti theft mechanism in mine that I haven't figured out. It occasionally goes off. The previous owner had a remote start and entry, but failed to give me the remotes, so I had to take it out. I am guessing some device is inline or a wire has been cut for the door locks to operate correctly. I wish I could fix that.

People who break into cars know this method and a lot more. Nice for a Reatta owner to know this-[shouldn't] break the window.......STORY:> years ago Mercedes came out with their famous vacuum locking system. Rep. said it was fool proof. No one could get into the car with out breaking something. Even if you broke a window you would still have to craw into the window as the doors still would not un-lock. Said he would buy lunch for anyone who could get into the car without damaging it in 30 minutes. A mechanic said he would do it in less than five minutes:> bet is on. He used a fish to go up and unlock the hood as we did in the Gm factory:> then applied vacuum to the locking system and just like that all four doors opened........You can't stop a thief. Locks are for honest people.........the reason ship containers are full of stolen cars and Harleys..............ken

Guest Kitskaboodle

As mentioned earlier in this thread, if a person wants to break in or steal the whole car they're going to get in if they have to use a brick or hammer to the window!

Funny, everyone mentioned "bad guys" knowing how to break in but you know, there are "good guys" who know how to break in also. (AAA)

They have a tool bag (to get into your car) that would knock your socks off!

Hey, they do this for a living.....it's called "Lockout Service". :)

So, it's no big deal to post how to get into a Reatta.

It's not like it's a new car or something! :)

Hey, if you want to protect your car then do what some people do on the Fiero.nl forum, simply run a wire from the fuel pump relay to an on/off toogle switch under the dash. They'll be cranking that puppy for hours! :)

Kit

Guest Greg Ross

I did manage to gain access to mine through the trunk. Had the passenger side door panel off to repair the power window, after tuning the ignition on to cycle the window up and down I closed the door to check that the glass was going all the way up. -Locked out with the ignition on!

With the trunk lining pulled away you do have acess to the stud bolts that the pass-thru hatch latches on to. A bunch of wrenching and I was in.

Guest Bill_Boro

I have had AAA open my car for me with an inflateable bag as described.

There is also an interesting video on the internet where a cute blond does it by burning a small hole in a tennis ball. The hole is then placed on the car door key hole and pushed hard to force a puff or jet of air into the lock mechanism. It worked on the video!!!

My son says that Myth Busters tried it on a show and claimed that it doesn't work. May be it is model or lock specific. Has any one else tried it or seen the video?

Guest Bill_Boro
I've seen the video. I'm happy that Mythbusters didn't make it work though...we have an overpopulation of car thieves in this part of the world...and the powers that be seem to take a dim view of letting me beat the punks with a tire iron.

Have you seen the Trunk Monkey Anti-thieft Video? It's a scream!!