1930 5-Passenger Coupe - Model 68 - Any info on the car?

michaelod

Hello,

This is my first post here on this board. I am currently in negotiations for a 1930 5-passenger coupe Model 68 residing in Knoxville TN. The car was said to be previously owned by Joe Louis. Does anyone have any knowledge of the car? Seems to be a very restorable example although the interior is pretty well trashed. This would be my first Buick although I have admired these cars for some time. Looking forward to any comments from anyone on the board.

Thanks,

Michael O'Docharty

Raleigh, NC

http://en.marshallclassics.com/cgi-bin/md/M10166/s1.pl

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Mike:

On page 113 of my copy of "Seventy Years of Buick" by George Damman is a picture of Joe Louis with his new 1930 Model 68. However, Buick built 10,216 of this model, all for USA use.

The seller should be able to prove any claim of ownership by Joe Louis with a title to this exact car with title paperwork that matches either the engine number or the frame number AND shows Joe Louis's name as owner. Be dubious of any claim as to prior ownership, unless the paperwork matches or the seller is a close relative/descendant of the justly famed "Brown Bomber".

Regards, Dave Corbin

Edited by DaveCorbin (see edit history)

Dear Mike:

On page 113 of my copy of "Seventy Years of Buick" by George Damman is a picture of Joe Louis with his new 1930 Model 68. However, Buick built 10,216 of this model, all for USA use.

My copy of the same book ( revised addition ) at page 123 has a photo of Jack DEMPSEY, heavy weight boxer accepting delivery of his new Buick - a Series 60 5 passenger Coupe model 30-68.

Did Joe LOUIS and Jack DEMPSEY both drive Buick 1930 coupes??

Michael,

Welcome to teh forum, and we hope you will son be a Buick owner.

Even if you to not make this purchase, as you have an interest in Buicks, I suggest you join the BCA if you are not yet a member. You have a quite active Chapter in NC, so I encourage you join that as well.

I think Dave Corbin as given you some advise, and it looks like the car was a favorite of boxers of that era. I suggest you not pay a "premium" because of the suggested history, but only if it is documented.

In any event, this looks like it may be original, or early restoration, and in rather good shape. There does not seem to be much info on the mechanicals. You will likely get responses to any questions you might have.

John

That looks like a very solid, mostly unrestored car, in Buick's biggest series for 1930. It has (I think) a huge 331 cu. inch 6-cylinder engine--the last year before Buick went to all 8-cylinder engines. This is a very desireable body style, with very desireable wire wheels and dual side-mounted spares. Wow! The wood in the body looks to be very good, but you should check the doors to be sure--how they hang and whether they line up properly when you close them. It looks to me like the interior work needed is not too overwhelming, just a headliner and maybe side panel upholstery; seats look fine for their age.

The bigger and older a Buick is, the more enthusiastic I get, so my comments may not be very helpful to you, but I think it is a wonderful, wonderful car in very fine condition for its age!

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Sherman, Texas

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Stuart:

"My copy of the same book ( revised addition ) at page 123 has a photo of Jack DEMPSEY, heavy weight boxer accepting delivery of his new Buick - a Series 60 5 passenger Coupe model 30-68."

You are correct and sharp eyed indeed. I must have been on Australian time while I'm here in Texas! My book also shows Jack Dempsey, who I met once. Shame on me for an erronous post!!

However, my comment about careful documentation still stands.

Regards, Dave Corbin

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to thank all of those who replied with a response to my query. I went ahead and purchased the car based upon it's own merit, regardless of weather it or not it was previously owned by some famous person. I tend to doubt the Joe Louis story anyway due to the fact that the only evidence of that was a photo of Joe Louis with a 1930 Coupe, although not necessarily this one. As a side note would anyone know of a good painter in the Raleigh area who deals with classic cars?

Thanks Again,

Michael

Micheal,

We can't wait to see your '30 At Charlotte Autofair real soon. As far as painters in Raliegh get with Jim Taylor the director of the Tarheel Chapter his number is on this page BCA - Regions. Those guys in the Tarheel chapter may know some one. Also you should join them for a meeting or their picnic is coming up. Good luck.

Brian