Source for diaphragm material

old-tank

Tinkering again: trying to rebuild the vacuum diaphragm for a 55 Buick. The material appears to be 2 ply rubber/cloth mesh reinforced about 0.015 inch thick.

I made a working unit using vinyl seat uphostery material, so I know my method is workable. No, I am not going into business, but will share with others that are willing to spend some time instead of money.

Willie

McMaster Carr (McMaster-Carr) sells fabric-reinforced rubber sheet (and just about any other tool, material, fastener, or industrial supply you might need). The rubber is available in various thicknesses and materials (Buna-N, neoprene, EPDM, and silicone).

Thanks for the responses so far.

I checked and the thinnest they have is 1/32 inch (~0.030)...I need 1/64 inch (0.015).

Willie

• 9 months later...
Guest ifeeltheneed4speed

I know this post is kind of old, but after visiting this page last year, I came up with an easy alternative that has WORKED perfectly for me! I used an old blown out truck inner tube. I also tried the clear vinyl with NO luck! It is just to stiff. These Diaphragms in any application is more or less a lung. I managed to find the original for my engine but didnt want to wait a week for it to arrive in the mail. After using the inner tube diaphragm for over one month with no problem, I decided to cut out a hundred more. Actually my 8 year old loved tracing and cutting out all the gaskets. I want to thank "old-tank" for giving me the idea! THANKS!!!!!!I still have the factory original, never installed it! I hope this infor can help someone else. If anything else, it is a great tempory fix!! A bike inner tube may also work if you have a smaller diaphragm. Also I didnt even need to use a gasket/rtv! The rubber sealed tight. The only problem I had doing this is, My original holes that I made where a little to small. The rubber tried to twist when tightning the bolts. Once you have it cut, push the bolts through the housing and push rubber gasket all the way flush. This will also tell you if your holes are uneven. If there is any free play, you may want to try again. You want it to be a semi loose fit. Dont pull tight to get it to go on. It has to be able to move!!!