Why do you drive a Reatta

Guest The Goggi

Guest The Goggi

I took my car to the shop to have the A/C rechareged (turns out I need a new compressor :mad:)

While at the shop, while they were running a vaccume and recharging, the techs discussed for in excess of an hour how cool my car is and how the CRT had built in diagnostics. They went on and on about it.

I could drive a Benz, Jag, Porche, you name it and not have that level of interest. The Reatta is the last affordable exotic. We are lucky to be collectors in a time that they are still available at a decent price. They will one day get very expensive and be on calandars and I am sure we will all still have our cars. It may be a while, but it is destined to be.

We are so lucky to be in the know.

Guest Richard D

It is simply a great car to drive, comfortable, timeless styling, it is welcome at local car meets, you don't see a few dozen everyday and in my case the car has been very dependable. Plus it does get thumbs up from drivers of pocket rockets to Cadillac's to Porsche's which is kind of neat for a 22 year old car design. While a Miata might be a little faster 0-60, with torque coming on strong at 2,200 rpm there is no need to floor the gas pedal to pass other cars. I think it is one of the General's best drive trains. I could keep going but I think I got my feelings across.

Having been blessed in life with a good career and cooperative wife I've owned 2 Jags, a Porsche, a couple of Lamborghinis and 4 Vettes for personal cars. I say this not to brag but to give some comparison and of all my "toys" over the years and the Reatta has been my favorite car to drive, especially on a trip of several hours. It is the perfect compromise of all things I want in a "personal" car. I sold the '90 Reatta in a weak moment, but, it won't happen with the "91 I enjoy now. My heirs can enjoy it some day. Great thread, I hope it runs. Thanks, Labrat.

Well, I'd have to admit that much of the reason why I drive mine, was that my mother gave it to my wife, shortly after we got married. I basically took care of it for my mom, since 1990; so I guess she felt like I deserved it (over my other siblings). And to give it to my wife (who had no car), was a nice gesture (maybe a type of wedding gift?).

Some recent issues/bugs have led us to swap cars, so now my wife drives my '99 Grand Prix GTP, and I get to drive the Reatta. No complaints here!

In the summer of 1991 I touch a black Reatta. Almost instantly its over protective owner flew out the randown dealership's door and told me I would never be able to afford this car and not to lay one more fingure on it. Being the loving respectfull kid I was, I gave him a one fingure salute and imeadiatley took off running back down the rear alley to save my skin.

I had all but forgotten about that amazing car until one day I came upon one sitting in a donation car lot. It had molding floors, beat-up seats, and had not ran in a year. I asked about it and the lot owner said it was an ex-employee's. I called several time for a price and to find out if it was even for sale. He never gave me the answer. Shortly after I left for Iraq. Six months after returning home I ended up at the dealer again. This time I left him with an offer of $2500 and my number. About two weeks later I got a phone call out of the blue saying 2k and it was mine.

So long story short I drive mine because I was told I could not.

Well, I can only speak from the past tense. I no longer own a Reatta, but I do miss my little car. I've owned many cars over the years and I can say without hesitation, my Reatta was my favorite. I owned mine for about 10 years, but it succumbed to a blown motor and some moron running into it while parked at the shop looking at the dead motor. The car is currently owned by another forum member. I liked the Reatta from the time the car first appeared in the showroom. Many years later while working part time for a used car, the owner drove up in this silver Reatta. The rest is history. The car had great style, very roomy and comfortable interior, pretty good gas mileage, and more gadgets that you could shake a stick at. It was a great car. I sure spent a lot of money on it over the time I had it, but it was one of the few cars I owned that I would always turn back to look at it as I walked away from it in the parking lot. It short, it just made me smile.

After 9 convertibles and 2 coupes, I have no good answer to why I own one, outside of the fact I was there the day the convertible was introduced to the public and driving the car still makes me happy (particularly with the top down) .:)

I am down to just one Reatta convertible today, and love the looks of people thinking "what the heck is that?" as I drive buy.

Oops, wait a minute. :rolleyes: I just bought another one this morning. I forgot. '90 red /saddle in great shape with a new top.

Edited by NYBobP (see edit history)

I liked them when they were introduced, but at the time my kids were 2 and 3 years old, so I kept my Toronado for a while longer, but the Reatta idea was still kicking around in the back of my head. Last fall I was reading the paper on a Saturday morning and a nice one was advertised locally. I went and looked right away and bought my 90 after driving it for about 20 minutes. It is a great driving car, has nice styling, and is not too commonly seen on the road. I had looked at a 90 Corvette convt the previous weekend, and the Reatta is a much nicer car to drive.

Guest TaxMan444

My sophomore year of high school I was driving a 1st gen Acura legend that was on its last leg. My brother learned how to drive a Manuel trans first so he got a hand-me-down mustang from our bigger brother so I was feeling left out. Later that year I was headed to a high school golf tournament in the team van, a white Reatta was in front of us and I just remember asking myself "that's a Buick??" When I got home I looked on craigslist for one and found the car of my dreams for $4000 with 54000 miles with a dented rear bumper. I thought it was a steal. I found a new bumper and fixed it right away. I talked to the lady I bought it from later, she told me she cried when I was driving it away. I can see why its a great car, I would hate to ever have to sell mine.

So I guess because of the shock factor that people are amazed Buick made a car other than their stereo type sedans, and because its not as common as a mustang.

Edited by TaxMan444 (see edit history)

Guest mhuffy

I saw one of these at a car show and wanted it prior to it being released for sale. I could not afford one then due to an ex-wife. Recently, I found this car and had to have it. My youngest son thinks it is a great car, also. Together we are bringing it back to the original condition. He doesn't realize it, but it is going to be his when it is done. I will then look for a convertible model for my wife and myself. Bsically, I invest time and money to restore and drive this great car simply because it brings me pleasure in many different ways.

Guest Craig57

Addicted to the 2 seater concept since owning a 67 MG Midget when I was seventeen. Only room for you and the girl! About 5 years ago I looked into getting a Reatta but got sidelined by a Lexus SC 400 and a old Corvette. This past January it was time to replace the vette with a Reatta. I had only this forum to guide me. I had never seen one in person only pictures on the net. I liked the 3800 motor and all the gadgets and the style of the car,plus it was a BUICK! How cool. Being from the metropolitan Detroit area(Berkley H.S. class of 75) I never really felt comfortable driving the Lexus even though I've lived in Milwaukee for years. When I returned home to Michigan for visits I felt like a traitor.Then I bought the old stingray(76) but the wife never really liked to ride in it. Hated the seats ect. So here I am 5 years later making some new friends with a common interest. I bought the first Reatta I saw.But it was what I was looking for,red,sunroof,89.

Edited by Craig57 (see edit history)

I saw the reatta when it came out in 1988 and loved the styling. It was ten years ahead of its time. I feel safe in the car. The interior is spacious and the seats are comfortable. The visibility is excellent, especially in the rear corners. I use cruise control and drive it according to the instantaneous mpg readout. I averaged 31 mpg at posted speeds over the road this weekend in relatively flat lower Michigan.

Guest gotitright

I always loved them, got lucky when my wife also likes 'em. She hates the Corvette and the Fiero. Buick definately gotitright!

Guest Road mister

Hello Richard

I looked at your profile to view your 71 Conv. Skylark,

I had one years ago, I loved it and it had more zip than any of my many GMs including a 75 Vette that was a sad excuse for a 350 at 165 HP. There was something about that motor (probably the heads) that GM got right.

Government intervention and pollution standards are mostly to blame for the changes.

Do you know what yours is factory HP rated at or did it just seem that way to me at the time?

I enjoy my Reatta because the 3800 is an excellent motor and the car is unique.

Guest Richard D

I need to post some pictures of it, it only has 17,500 miles and it looks like it just came out of the showroom. The convertible top is also in new condition so I keep it garaged in the daytime unless the weather is going to be in the 70's then I will pull it out and drop the top and just drive it. It has the typical Buick drivetrain of that time, 350 cid with a 2 bbl and a 350 turohydramatic. I will have to look up the horsepower ratings but it has so much torque and it just accelerates effortlessly. The only flaw is on the drivers side rear view mirror, there is the begining of a few pits. Since so many GM a body cars used this mirror I am hoping some one is reproducing them. My chrome shop said they could fill the the pits with copper then rechrome but they will reappear again in a year or two. I am going to start driving it more, I hate it being a garage queen but am more afraid of some uninsured econobox running into it. Here in Miami it happens more than you would think.

Sorry for the rant,

Richard

Guest Kitskaboodle

I love having a car that is "mysterious" meaning most people are totally clueless (and totally out of it) when it comes to this car!

I kid you not...the best response I ever got about my Reatta was at a car show. A guy came up to the front of my car, bent over the hood (to look at the Reatta hood emblem) and said, "a Buick??" And then simply walked away.....

That was priceless. :)

I also like the fact that you can drive the thing for a whole month and not even see another Reatta!

Ha! Try that with a BMW or Mustang.... :)

Kit

I had a 70 GS that I often wish was still here (got T-boned by a kid in a Mustang). Was a torque monster and used to beat Z-28s in autocrosses. Was one of the first to use G60x15 tires on 15x7 wheels. Swapped the tach and speedo to put the tach in the center of the gauge cluster. Obtained an unchromed front bumper (one of the advantages of being a GMI student) and had it painted body color.

Had to be special ordered when I returned from an all expense paid trip to SEA. One of the most powerful (and underrated) engines to come out of GM with four speed fine spline Muncie and a 3.42 12 bolt posi. Plus PS/PW/PDB/tilt, full instrument cluster, console, and a/c. Had to build my own cruise control since (then) it was not available with a manual transmission.

This is the only picture I could find of it. The Vette (a 63 split window fuelie) was the cheapest car I could find to road race (SCCA B/P).

buvette2.jpg

Judge is a wonderful toy but just does not shift as fast as that Buick.

BTW I drive the Reattae because it is easier than carrying them.

Guest Richard D

Quote; BTW I drive the Reattae because it is easier than carrying them.

Padgett that is the best reason yet. I was thinking of driving the Skylark to the GM only meet in Silver Springs instead of the Reatta. I think I will let the weather decide.

"Why do you drive a Reatta"

Because I own a 89 and a 90 and they are no good just sitting in the garage, seals will dry, crack then leak, even during the long winters I go out and start them and keep the fluids flowing.

Wish I owned a convertible.

Guest Road mister

I am in Tampa, where and when is Silver Springs?

Not to stray from this thread but I am going to post a couple questions on battling this Florida heat the Tech or performance section. Invite you guys with this experience to follow and respond.

Thanks

John

Guest Richard D
I am in Tampa, where and when is Silver Springs?

Not to stray from this thread but I am going to post a couple questions on battling this Florida heat the Tech or performance section. Invite you guys with this experience to follow and respond.

Thanks

John

Here is the link to the NPD GM ONLY OKTOBERFEST,

NPDLink | National Parts Depot

Probably not very, early October is not a prime tourist time and the economy is still in the toilet. SS is not far from I-75 and lots there.

Once I see if there are any activities Friday night, I'll decide. Just mailed the coupon.

Speaking of the MGR does anyone who has been there know how hard it will be to get a hotel room for friday night?

I usually just head up early Saturday A M. Unless there is something other than Oktoberfest happening that weekend, plenty of rooms should be available...... Jim

Guest WEB 38

Are you supposed to drive them? Iv had my 90 for 2 yrs now and put 50 mi. on it. Enjoy just looking and admiring this beauty. web 38 more cars than brains.