1961-67 Buick Green Engine Paint?

Jolly_John

I'm interested to know as well. Is it something they mix, or does it come from another source?

POR-15 engine enamel may be easier for me to get...I was wondering if anyone could comment to its shade compared to what it is intended to be.

I'm not trying to steal your thread John...I have trouble getting engine paint north of the border from some of the usual suspects, so it would be good to know which manufacturers / sources have the "correct" colour.

Paint shades will vary greatly between suppliers and between batches from the same supplier. The last paint ordered from CARS, a quart can and a rattle can did not match. My last project below, I painted the block with Alpine green (detroit diesel) bought locally (Duplicolor) and then added parts from other projects...you should see at least 3 shades of green. But, it does not look very noticeable in a dark shaded engine bay. Another example is the engine from my CVT in the signature below.

I saw Thriller's car at the Nationals, and while it may not have matched the cars next to it the shade was well within the variations I have seen.

Willie

post-30648-143138100246_thumb.jpg

post-30648-143138100497_thumb.jpg

I am new to the site but have been following it for somewhat more than a year. I am in the process of restoring a 63 Wildcat convertible including a complete engine rebuild. In trying to find a correct paint color I purchased paint from Bill Hirsch Auto. On their website at -Hirsch Automotive Products they have a list of Buick paint colors and in my opinion provided some reasonable information on application of their product.

I spoke to the people at the order desk and they were very familiar with the product. The person doing the engine work is involved in both the racing industry and classic engine rebuilds. His comment was that the paint is a very good product.

Derek - As for shipping the product, there wasn't anyone who was willing to ship paint across the border into Canada. The Hirsch people put me in contact with a company from B.C. who order Hirsch paint once per week into a warehouse states side and then they bring the product across the border into the Vancouver area in their own truck. If you would like I would be able to get you the contact info. There might be someone closer to Manitoba doing the same thing.

My engine is not ready yet so I have no data to provide as to quality of finished product, appearance, etc. or how well it will stand the heat. Engine will be ready sometime in September for the initial un.

Lawrence Gluckie

BCA 44046

Ardrossan, Alberta

I restored a 55 Century last year and used the Aerosol paint cans from Hirsh and was very happy with the quality and shade of the paint. I have also been to their facility to pick up some leather for my 38 Special and was impressed with them. Very freindly and helpfull crew.

post-49801-143138100566_thumb.jpg

Just a word of caution, not all Buick engines were green between these years 61-67. Could be wrong but I think in 64 the Aluminum engine was painted silver. Don't have my judges manual handy.