Some bolts...........

Guest Taco

Guest Taco

We need some bolts.

Its 10x15 UNC.

Here a pic:

boutje.jpg

Here in Europe its difficult to find some, can someone help us with 4 or 5 bolts?

Taco.

Guest simplyconnected

Looks like a socket head cap screw. Could you lay a scale next to it and take a picture? It's hard to put this in proportion without a reference.

How long is the bolt? It looks like it could be a #10-24 X 1/2" or a 1/4"-20 X 3/4"

Guest Taco

Yes, it's a socket head cap screw.

Well, here it is:

DSC_6223.jpg

Measerments:

Total lenght: 26/32 inch.

'lenght' of threat: 15,7 mm. (5/8 inch)

Diameter: 4,7 mm.

13 'rounds' of threat.

I bought some 10-32 x 1/2" and 10-32 x 3/4" bolts, but they are wrong.

Taco.

Guest boettger

Taco,

Your count of 13 threads over the 5/8 inch length works out to a pitch of 20 threads per inch.

Where are you measuring the 4,7 mm diameter?

Is that the major diameter or the minor diameter of the threads.

If your are measuring the minor diameter then you have a

1/4-20 X 5/8 Socket head cap screw.

Minor Thread Diameter on a 1/4-20 is 0.1905 inches. (4.8387 MM)

Major Thread Diameter .250 inches. (6.35 mm)

If that's what you have, they are readily availble here in the USA.

Guest simplyconnected

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Taco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, it's a socket head cap screw.

Measerments: Total lenght: ... (5/8 inch) ...I bought some 10-32 x 1/2" and 10-32 x 3/4" bolts, but they are wrong... </div></div>

You have a 1/4"-20 X 5/8" Socket-head cap screw (grade 8 steel), Taco. (That means, diameter=1/4" and threads per inch=20, and length=5/8".)

Your bolt is VERY common here in the States. An even more common size is a 3/4" length bolt. Rather than stock every bolt in 1/8" length increments, we sometimes grind the tip off 1/8" (3.175mm) if it needs to be that precise. Usually it does not.

This bolt is available with a socket head, or hex head (6-point), stainless steel, nylon, brass, or carbon steel either zinc plated or not.

Ok, so how do we get five bolts to you? Personal Message me with your address, (so 100 people don't send you 500 bolts). - Dave

Guest Taco

The outer diameter of the threat is 6/32 inch.

I do not understand the 1/4". That's allmost 6 mm, and mine is 4.65 mm. So, a bit thinner.

Some people here say it's UNC, but what that is?

I am sure about the '20' threat.

Taco.

Guys, i don't think it's a 1/4-20 for two reasons:

Look at the ruler scale and note that the bolt is MUCH thinner than 1/4" on that ruler...

Plus, count the threads for one half inch.... I'd bet it's a 24 threads per inch.

10-24 ?? 12-24 ?? I'll measure some if I have any, to see what the diameters are in decimals

I measured some new 10-24 (from Home Depot) and those are 4.75mm. Then I measured some other new 10-24 in various lengths from different manufacturers, and most are 4.7mm.

Cut threads vs. rolled threads may cause the differences.

I think it must be a 10-24.

Can't be metric either, if it is what he measured.

Guest simplyconnected

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Taco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought some 10-32 x 1/2" and 10-32 x 3/4" bolts, but they are wrong...</div></div>

How were they wrong? Too big, too small?

You may have a 3/16"-24 British Standard Whitworth (which are NOT common in the States. Your bolt threads are definately rolled and heat-treated.

What are these screws used in? What did they come out of?

Let's take a closer look:

3-16x24SHCS.jpg

After closer examination, I do not think these are UNC bolts. They are Whitworth, and you can probably find them a lot cheaper by shopping in England. Thank you for the good pictures.

Here is a chart that verifies your major diameter:

http://shopswarf.orconhosting.net.nz/bsw.html

Hope this helps. - Dave

Guest Taco

@ simplyconnected:

there was too much treath on de bolt at the same lenght.

Ik will make a picture with 3 different bolts on it in one hour.

Taco

Guest Taco

Here the pics:

it's for a model airplane this time, not for my old car.

DSC02268.jpg

And the bolts:

DSC_6225.jpg

On top a 10-32 x 3/4 (printed on package)(diameter 5/32)

In the middle: 10-32 x 1/2 (diameter 3/16)(right diameter, but too much threat at 1 inch)These two different bolts were bought in the USA recently.

At the bottom my unknown bolt.

I will sent Larry Schramm my bolt, if we cannot find out what it is. But i think we will.

Taco.

Guest Bob Call

I think we are going down the wrong path here. If this for a model airplane (aeroplane) engine, the first thing is to establish the country of manufacture. Unless it is a vintage British, and it appears to be modern, it not be Whitworth. Unless it is US made, unlikley, it won't be UNC or UNF. That leaves metric if it is Japanese, Chzec or Russian or other european.

So, Taco, what is the brand name and country of origin on the engine?

Guest Taco

The engine is made in the USA and Canada.

There is no name on it further.

Today i will sent the bolt to Larry. He will find out what it is, and get me some i hope.

Taco.

Yes, you are right, it could be a Zenoah.

<span style="font-style: italic">Made in the Canada </span>is on the bottom of the crank case.

<span style="font-style: italic">Made in the USA </span>is on the Fly wheel. And There is <span style="font-style: italic">REPCO</span> written on.

There are some differents between the drawing and the photograph, but you may say it's maybe an older version of Zenoah?

Taco.

Guest Bob Call

I am going to take a guess on this. Repco is/was a Hong Kong exporting company that exported all sorts of stuff from Asia. My guess is that the flywheel, part of the magneto ignition sytem was made in the USA. The crankcase casting made in Canada. The rest of the engine was imported by Repco and the US and Canadian parts added to get around import duties that would have been levied on a complete engine and allowing the importer to pay lower rates on parts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bob Call</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am going to take a guess on this. Repco is/was a Hong Kong exporting company that exported all sorts of stuff from Asia........</div></div>

Repco is actually an Australian automotive parts company

http://www.repco.com.au/

Repco had a huge hand in the development of the engine used by Jack Brabham to win the Formula 1 drivers championship

http://www.navilus.com.au/ph/rb/repcob.htm

http://www.jack-brabham-engines.com/yourstory.aspx

Guest Bob Call

OZ

There is more than one Repco. I am also aware of the auto parts company. The Repco in Hong Kong was primarily a toy exporting company but also dealt in other products like model airplanes and engines.

--------------------------------

We'll all be drinkin' that free Bubble Up and eatin' that rainbow stew. Merle Haggard 1981

http://www.cmt.com/videos/merle-haggard/26454/rainbow-stew.jhtml

Good to see that it has been positively identified. (And privately happy to see that my suspicions about what it was were actually correct...)

So, Larry, are you sending him what he needs, or does he still need them?

No, it's not for myself, but for my son (9 years old).

The plane is a Klemm 25.

wim-klemm.jpg

Yes, it's 1/4-scale i think, wingspan is 260 cm.

Taco.