electronic problem

Guest howardmoss

Guest howardmoss

My 89' reatta's computer tell me there's an electronic problem. I have taken it to 2 different shops, and both told me that the computer is bad. That it is not holding codes. I have checked the codes, and they are all history codes. Any feed back on this?

Guest howardmoss

Okay, I'm sorry I can't give the correct information on the screen. I am at work. I'll have to write down all the information down. Thanks.

Guest howardmoss

Okay, here it is. When I turn the ignition and motors comes on, I get a yellow message,"see dianogstic center", with an arrow pointing to the right at the screen. Below that message, a square box in orange comes up and says "Service Engine Soon". The on the screen to the right of that, "Engine Controls Problem Detected, Engine Controls Computer has detected an electrical problem, Service check required" message comes on. It stays on for a while and then it keeps going on and off as I drive. I have stopped driving it until I can find out what's wrong.

Guest howardmoss

Daves89, thanks. I printed the directions and will keep them in the manual. You learn something new everyday. Also, I knew I was having this problem for a while, but I did'nt know it had been over a year.I'm trying to get it fixed so I can sell it. I have a 90 also that I drive everyday. I'll pull out the codes tomorrow and give them to you. Again, thanks.

Guest Bugler

That 41 current. Is that the cam sensor magnet?

Seems like the rest are history. But I'm far from knowledgable so I'm sure someone will jump in if I'm wrong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bugler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That 41 current. Is that the cam sensor magnet?

</div></div>The E041 code is the "cam sensor" but a missing cam sensor magnet can set the code as no signal will be generated without the magnet being intact.

Guest Bugler

I had the same code. Magnet was gone. Replaced the magnet and sensor. Fixed the problem. There's a great write up for it. Helped me do it. Not too difficult.

They are in the "Computer Diagnosis" section (8D) of the FSM.

OK since there is a lot of confusion here, what happens is this:

1) Computer diagnostics senses a problem

2) A "C" current code is set (a bit in the RAM section of the ECM or BCM is changed from 0 to 1) and will remain as long as the problem remains.

3) If the problem goes away, the bit in the "current" map is changed back to a 0 and the corresponding offset in the "history" map is set to one.

4) If the problem occurs again, the bit is moved from "History" to "Current"

5) Once set it will remain set in either Current or History until reset or the battery is disconnected.

The same goes for the trim maps such as the Fuel Integrator or BLM.

Now that should be cleared up.

Point I was making was that to get a "H" code, it had to have once been a "C" code.

The original post said "I have taken it to 2 different shops, and both told me that the computer is bad. That it is not holding codes. I have checked the codes, and they are all history codes." and I was explaining why this just did not make sense.

I could have just said "go to a different shop" but wanted to explain why the "not holding codes" meant they did not know what they were talking about. Thought that was self-evident once you understand how the codes are set so did not put in those words.

Guest howardmoss

Thanks Padgett. I down loaded a copy the codes you put up and it's very helpful. Now I have to find a mechanic that knows where the cam sensor, and magnet are to see if they can fix it. I am not mechanically inclined at all. But all the information is very helpful. Again, thanks to all for the time and effort.

Guest howardmoss

Thanks Padgett. I down loaded a copy the codes you put up and it's very helpful. Now I have to find a mechanic that knows where the cam sensor, and magnet are to see if they can fix it. I am not mechanically inclined at all. But all the information is very helpful. Again, thanks to all for the time and effort.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest howardmoss

Well, I just took my 89 out of the shop, after having the cam sensor replaced. The computer is still coming on the the same message. I checked for codes and all are history.?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest howardmoss

I know what history codes are. But if I had an e041 code and I replaced the cam sensor, shouldn't the cars computer stop beeping and telling me that I have a electrical problem?

Please include the year of your Reatta in your signature line. That way we are not continuously going back and scanning your post to see what model your Reatta is. It helps us to better help you.

To add to your signature line click: "My Stuff -> Profile" and scroll down the page to the signature box.

Thanks!

I can't be of any help mechanically to you but here's my experience when I had the sister car (Olds Toronado Trofeo). My nephew who has some mechanical skills went to a couple of U-Pull it junkyards and shanghaied several of those Electronic Control Consoles off junked Trofeos, and put them in my dash after the Console went haywire. The previous owner had spent over $1000 with a dealer to put in a new unit. Sadly the Trofeo ultimately went through (4) of those units before it went to junkyard heaven. Needless to say, I didn't buy an 88 or 89 Reatta to deal with that grief again!

Guest JSBojanglz

Hey guys, I'm getting a similar "engine controls problem detected" message in my '89 whenever I take my foot off the accelerator and/or when the cruise control is set and the car is coasting.

When I put my foot back on the gas or the cruise gets back on the gas, the check engine light and the trouble screen both disappear (I suspect going into code history).

I pulled the code off in diagnostic mode and it refers to a "QDM fault". If anyone is familiar with the code or the QDM in general, please consider the following:

What is the QDM?

Where is it located?

Is there an applicable wiring diagram in the FSM? If so, where?

Thanks, All.

Guest Bobby Valines

That's odd my 89 has the original touch screen and the car has 150,000 mi. and it works like new. When I bought it didn't work right and the people here told me that the connection might be bad, so I cleaned them. Has been working great ever since. That just goes to show you how important this form is. Personally I think the touch screen is one of the coolest things about the 20yo Reatta and would buy another 88 or 89 after this car wears out.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I am a new owner of a 1989 Reatta Coupe. Just purchased it three months ago. I am having the same problems as howardmoss When I turn the ignition and motors comes on, I get a yellow message,"see dianogstic center", with an arrow pointing to the right at the screen. Below that message, a square box in orange comes up and says "Service Engine Soon". on the screen to the right of that, "Engine Controls Problem Detected, Engine Controls Computer has detected an electrical problem, Service check required" message comes on. I took it to a mechanic who checked out the diagnostics and confirmed that I needed a new cam sensor. He replaced the cam sensor and apparently it indicated that my computer was hooped. So he ordered a re-built computer and after installing it he's still getting the same reading that I have an electrical problem? I am totally baffled as my mechanic is. Any words of wisdom out there for me? It would be much appreciated.

Hi judi, Welcome to the forum. The magnet for the cam sensor had fallen out. It is a common problem that will cause the computer to give the error message you are getting and it will set a code 041 (cam sensor).

Click here for instructions on how to fix it. Print off the instructions and take them to your mechanic.

When my mechanic installed the new cam sensor he said that the magnet came with it as one unit so I can't see how it fell off if it's a brand new one?