new project

robburpo

ok im new here and to dodge itself ive restored alot of cars from the 20s and up but this one is a new venture i bought a early dodge brothers car that looks to be a turtle deck roadster. the farm it came from was in arizona at one time the turtle deck was romoved and it was turned into a truck. now there was no title with it so im trying to find a website so i can check the number that is on the tag on the floorboad. the car is pretty complete and all original except for the truck addition i can post some pictures of it if anyone wants to see it but right now i just want to find out exactly what it was originally and what year so i can file the papers to get the title.

ok i know this is probably going to be a couple of stupid questions but i have to ask...how do i find out what exact model this was. i am trying to decide whether. to do a total restore or do a hotrod. i know most of you are going to tell me to do a restoration and i understand. im just thinking that since the body was already cut in the back it may be easier to do a hotrod. thank you for all the info on the car already.

Guest Backyardmechanic

Hello again,

this hot rod stuff keeps coming up.You say it may be easier to hot rod it then keep it orginial Bull crap.One still have to make panels for what has been cut away or if you feel by Hot rodding it and keep the box on it would be fine

.Well you could still restore like it is and still have a peice of history.(This was done back when a farmer needed a pickup truck)and I have heard "I made a street rod from it because it was in a bad shape"and would cost to much to restore it to original" BULL CRAP again.iF THE $$$ WAS SPENT TO RESTORE IT TO ORIGINAL the cost would have been the same or les.

If one needs a street rod theres a company in Ohio that makes every thing that is needed even has steel bodys ,frames motor mounts what ever just bolt on LETS LEAVE THE ORGINIAL STUFF ALONE.

I'm sorry if I offen any one but just telling it the way one see it

Vern

WOW!!!! i didnt mean to make people mad. either way i was going to go i wasnt going to cut it up. and im also thinking of keeping it a pickup. of course with all new wood.

i was just thinking about an updated drive train or maybe just do alittle modernizing to the original. being a harley mechanic for 22 years i know i can take something original and turn it into a more road happy vehicle and i have access to all kinds of machine shop equipment just havent really made up my mind yet. i did start taking it apart today and of course the wood bed is rotted beyond belief..lol. the undercarraige is real solid and very complete. i should have the body off by next weekend and hopefully have the engine turning over and maybe started to see where im at. i got alot of new stuff as far as tuneup stuff with the car. is there any info that anyone could give me about the generator/starter about rebuilding it. or where i might send it to and have it done. anyway sorry again about sturring the fire about hotrodding this thing.

Robburpo:

Here's my two cents.

Keep the car/truck like it is.

Get it running and safe to drive,

bring it to car shows and tell the story how back in the "old" days this what farmers did when they needed a truck.Let kids touch and feel a piece of history.

Maybe down the line you'll hit the lotto and be able to do a complete restoration but maybe not.

Both my cars are older restorations and I enjoy letting kids sit in them at car shows. Parents take pictures,it's a lot of fun.

Well that's my two cents. Do I get any change? smile.gif

Robburpo,

Not to harp too much on the hot-rodding of your Dodge, but I believe as many of the posters here. You have a vehicle that is pretty much intact from 80+ years ago with a pickup bed modification from probably 70+ years ago. It would be ashame to take out the drivetrain and alter it at this point; you do have a piece of history. It seems that you have many cars available in your collection for speed when you want it. I have a '29 and just took off some of the front engine assembly this weekend and it was kind of cool to know that every bolt was put in place 80 years ago and I wondered about the people who assembled the car; it may sound sappy, but I liked that sort of connection with the car. There are plenty of people on these boards willing to help you as they have helped me. With the internet and the Dodge Brothers Club I've found many suppliers of parts. It sounds like you have a great shop and access to equipment to possibly create a part you can't find. I hope you decide to have another original DB back on the road.

ok well you all have made up my mind for me im going to keep it as is. i feel like i have to rebuild the bed of course and im going to make the body perfect again and do it that way. and yes im going to find out what shape the engine and tranny are in and rebuild them if needed. ok but my next question is the wheels. im going to need another set of disc wheels for the front are they available new or do i have to find a set of used

Id leave it just the way it was, I wouldnt restore it because I think its cool someone a long time ago ( prob. during the scrap wars ) converted it. I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone even on this site that has a car/truck conversion and if they do they are prob. parting it out or dont show it to anyone. Its not easy finding parts, dont expect that, depending on how stupid you want to get it may take years and you will wont have them all but anyone can pick up a Jegs catalog and build a hot-rod so be different.

It is not a sport model, it is a Special. The dash is different on the Sports. The toeboard numbers do indicate a 1926 however the deck opening is 24-25 type. It looks like Dodge changed the deck type to the new flatter one at serial number A531436. So early 26 would fit correctly! It is a cool car and would be neat left as is or find another rear section and deck lid and replace it. The 24-early 26 decks and lids are much easier to find than the later ones. But most of all, get it running and drive it and have fun!

Check the frame numbers, located just above the right front spring hanger at the rear of the spring. (passenger side). It should match the toeboard. Later 26's went to seperate starter and generator and were 6 volt instead of 12 volt.

Keiser31, what book is your reference? There seems to be a small error in it as the 126 model did not start until the second series in the 1927 cars.

i was thinking it was a special model just didnt know for sure. i actually got all the wood off yesterday. it was so rotted there was no way it was usable. a friend of mine came by and is making the new bed for me. it was tounge and groove in it and thats what im going back with and it was oak. what u thought was a sticker is actually the material that is there for the latches. and the front wires are 19 inch. should have the body off by the end of the weekend. at least thats the plan. is there a company that rebuilds the starter/genereator or is there a brush kit i can buy? also im still looking for a company to buy parts thru if someone could send me a link for a few websites that would be great.

I've also used the Restoration Supply Company as well as Myers Early Dodge and Romar, I've found a few small manufacturers in the Dodge Brothers Club magazine; a guy who made my rubber door bumpers for instance...the magazine also lists parts for sale. I take Hemmings and look in the Dodge Parts for sale section; they also have a "services" listing where someone could get your starter / generator rebuilt...I had mine rebuilt locally (Fort Worth, TX)by a shop that works on old stuff as well as new...I have used a local woodworker to help me with the roof insert and floorboards...if you're near a big city there may be shops that can help you with specific tasks.

ok well i started pulling all the bolts on the body today. i have the fenders running boards hood and the entire bed off. the actual body bolts are not the easiest to get out.

but they will come with alittle more soakin. im doing everything in my power to keep all the hardware and reuse

them. so far so good. well thats the latest update i will let everyone knowhow it goes over the next week or so

Guest imported_mikewest

I wouldnt get under that car with the cement block holding it up.... The car might outlive you. Go get some proper jack stands and save you own life.

Guest 1930

Those blocks look like something I would have done myself until I thought about it, a long time ago I had my 69 camaro roll off a set of ramps and pin me up against the wall in my garage so now I am more carefull. It only takes one little bit of not thinking and you can get in big trouble.

Keiser31, another thing in the Dodge story kept buggin' me. It states that the shift pattern changed to the modern S.A.E. pattern in Jan 1926. I have 4 1927 cars. An early undesignated series with "C" engine. Tested it, has DB shift pattern, as does my second series 126 model with "D" engine (3 point mount). Then both my 124 roadsters with the "fast four" engines have the SAE shift pattern. I had always assumed they went to the SAE pattrern when they switched to the single disc clutch, IE the 126 model but such appears to not be the case. The 126 uses the old style tranny but has a shorter driveshaft as the tranny is moved back about 1 1/2 inches, plus the ujoint and shaft are splined instead of square. Then the 124 went back to the same length driveshaft as the 24-26 and early 27 but retained the spline! The 124 tranny is very much like the Victory 6. Confusing stuff in 1927!