trans cooler lines high press?

Guest sptfr43

Guest sptfr43

are the trans cooler lines under high pressure? My lower line came apart where the rubber is crimped to steel and I can't find the new parts. ( I need it for work in the am ). Can I just use a couple hose clamps as a temp fix until the parts come in?

Guest Drake

As long as you use hose designed for transmission fluid, you should be alright with the hose clamps. Find a hydraulic hose shop in your area, they will be able to make new lines from your old ones, and just have to use the old fittings. I believe the transmission pressure is approx: 30 psi. The hoses I had made at the hydraulic hose shop are guaranteed for 1500 psi. (just a little over kill).

As a temporary fix, I generally use transmission hose and double hose clamps offset 90 degrees. I don't believe the pressure on a stock transaxle is over 50 psi. That crimped fitting is really only acting as a 360 degree clamp, although neater looking.

All years had the transmission cooler built into the radiator. External ones can be added if desired.

External coolers can be connected in series (inline) with with the one in the radiator to add extra cooling capacity OR you can completely bypass the cooler in the radiator and use it as a stand alone unit to cool the transmission fluid.

He's talking about the trans cooler lines, the ones that go to the radiator. Now would be a good time to install an auxillary trans cooler. The radiator/antifreeze on these cars run too hot[up to 220 degrees] and the trans fluid will start to break down [aprox 240 dsgrees] which is why I think a lot of the Reattas have tranny issues. I did the auxillary tranny cooler upgrade because I would rather spend $50.00 for that then $2000.00 for a tranny.

Either that or spend for a fan switch like Ronnie did or do the eprom upgrade.

Sorry to steal this thread, please go back to your tranny line issue...

Guest sptfr43

thanks for all the info. I went the hose and clamp route until I can get the correct parts, still have to get to work. where would be the best place to put an aux trans cooler?

Guest craig hewitt

Randy get a hold of me Ive got all the parts you needed for your car. still need them?? the cooler lines at auto zone are excact same bends and hoses as oem i have never put an aftermarket cooler on any of my cars and never had trouble. lot of guys here are not from michigan. Craig

I would call up a transmission shop and ask them at what temperature transmission fluid starts to break down. Then look at your own water temperature gauge.

There is way to high a percentage of Reattas that have rebuilt trannys in them.[Mine is one. Thank you previous owner].

The auxillary transmission typically is mounted in front of the condensor which is in front of the radiator.

It doesn't matter where you live. This car was designed to run hot, too hot in my opinion. If the car gets up to 220 degrees on a fairly regular basis you are looking for trouble.

How hot do you think a transmission runs?

The design sends hot transmission fluid to a radiator that is about 180 degrees to cool it.... meaning the transmission runs hotter than the engine.

I run big auxillary coolers on all my cars. Since I live in Texas and the temp seldom goes below 25 degrees, I bypass the radiator completely. This allows the transmission to run cooler and takes the transmission load off the radiator.

There are charts that show transmission tempature and as the temp goes up the transmission failure also goes up.

A cool transmission is a happy transmission.

I suspect the design process went something like this: "How hot is it liable to get in normal driving ? Make that the design point for emissions."

Then again I recall many "hot soak" sessions in the '70s where engines were made to reach 230F and then tested.

And on the gripping hand, GM has used 195F thermostats in cars since the 50's. I suppose if they had clamped engine temperatures to 195-200F that would be ok but not bring in even the LO speed fan until 207F seems absurd.

Keep in mind that I live in hot climates and keeping everything in front of the firewall 20F cooler means the a/c has an easier job. An IC engine by its nature is going to be a heat source. Fortunately, the 3800 has always been easy to keep cool, even on a 95F day with pavement temp well over 100F, mine runs 180-185. I have seen it head toward 190 at a long stoplight but at 189 the HI fan kicks in and it comes back down.

Any engine that can hold within 90F of ambient has plenty of cooling capacity.

I live in Wisconsin and have bypassed my radiator completely as well. I did this in all my cars. I have had no adverse problems with transmissions not shifting properly or premature tranny breakdowns.

Most of our cars still have the original radiators and these radiators have diminished cooling capacity as when compared to when they were new. It stands to reason that if your cooling system runs hotter so will your transmission.

In about 3 months this forum once again will be flooded with "My car is running hot. What can I do"? questions.

I will repeat myself, $50.00 and an hour of your time on a tranny cooler or look at a tranny repair in your future.

That makes sense. When it does warm up here in Siberia, Minnesota, that is what I will do with mine. I have a trans cooler I had laying around. This should help with cooling issues with the motor. I agree also with Padgett on the 180 thermostat. I run a 195 in the winter because I drive it in the winter. 18o is not that much heat for me when it is -36. In the summer time though it should help to have the 180. I also think I will look into the prom change to kick fans on sooner.

I discussed this cooler issue with a GM Hydramatic engineer at the SEMA show. He suggested that you run the transmission fluid through the radiator if you live in a cold climate. His thoughts were the quicker the transmission warms, the better it will shift when cold.

His thoughts were...transmission to aux cooler to radiator back to trans. This makes sense when you look at the options.

I beg to differ. When a car is cold, it's cold. The transmission will not warm up faster going thru a cold radiator as the radiator is getting no heat because it is in front of the motor and the thermostat has not opened as yet.

Worse yet running the tranny fluid thru the radiator when the motor is warmed up after it goes thru the auxillary tranny cooler has just defeated the reason for the auxillary tranny cooler because now the tranny fluid is as warm as the antifreeze.

I owned three different Roadmasters, all bought after they had 100,000 miles on them. I used those cars like they were trucks, pulling anything I had to[Also pulling a 3000 lb boat from Wi. to Table Rock Lake in Arkansas]. I sold each one at 200,000 miles and they shifted like they were brand new.

INMHO bypass the radiator and use an auxillary cooler.

I agree with Dave. At -20 you can let a car idle for half an hour and the thermostat won't open. The motor only gets up to about 150 degrees here in Siberia. I have a stick-on oil-pan heater. I should put one on the transmission too. I am thinking the transmission fluid is warmed up just by idling it though because it is under pressure and an amount is being pumped creating friction. I wonder how much though. A lot of cars here will not move at -35 if you don't let them warm up a couple minutes at least. Toyotas are that way. They act like the bands are gone, but wait a few minutes and they're fine.

• 2 years later...
Guest Reatta Tone
look for lines for riviera

i cant seem to find these lines anywhere. ive checked at Autozone, Kragen & Napa