1916-17 slanted windshield?

vergil

There is a 1917 DB Touring car listed now on Ebay which is remarkably similar to my '16 in that it has the same slanted windshield. If memory serves me correctly, slanted windshields appeared first on the 1921 production models. Everything else about my Tourer says 1916. Does anyone know if these might be later replacements as I had thought or could some models have sported these?

Thanks!

Bill

The VIN 104001 makes this actually a '16 very close to mine 106003,so I was wondering if they made a run of these? In these years the model year corresponded to the calendar year.

Slanted windshields started in 1920. I have seen several earlier cars that have had their post heated and slanted back, presumably to make them look "newer?" or sportier back in the day. The one on EBAY also has a headlight bar added and fluted headlight lenses, both which came around the early 20's.

I noticed that slanted windshield as well when I was sent the link to look at the robe rail. Then I saw the headlight bar and I started to get really confused on what I really have sitting in the garage (top irons are different as well - between mine and the ebay car). My car is a 18 or 19 but it has a combination of early and later parts that I am trying to sort out.

Glad to know I am not the only one who was curious.

Here is a 1915 DB with an after market slanted windshield. Maybe your car got a slanted windshield the same way this one did. It also looks like the top is shorter to accommodate the windshield slant.

post-37352-143138029027_thumb.jpg

Hmm, I beg to differ with the statement that the year models matched the calendar year. The chart I have clearly shows the year model starting on July 1 of the preceeding year (July 1, 1915 for the 1916 model).

BTW, 104,xxx and 106xxx both show as "1917 model" on this chart (Late Oct, early Nov '16)

David D.

Guest imouttahere

Right, the 1920 model year started on July 1, 1919 at serial number 359301. The first car to be built with a slanted windshield was a roadster on July 12, 1919. That roadster's serial number was 362675. Source: Don Butler's "Dodge Bros.: 'Good Enough Is Not Acceptable'", Cars and Parts magazine for, I believe, June of 1979, at page 43.

Butler says the 1916 series began on July 1, 1915 with car no. 18158, and that the 1917 series began on July 1, 1916 with car no. 78670.

Don Butler was the official Chrysler historian for a number of years. He states in this series of articles that he got most of his detailed information directly from the handwritten production notes of Frederick Haynes.