1941 Ford

Guest Faspony

Guest Faspony

Hi,

I'm new here.

I want to share with you an idea I have, tell me what you think.

I have an 06 Mustang GT and I thought this car was the last car I would ever own being 66 years young.

Well, I found a really nice 41 Ford business coupe that got me going again. I had a 41 what I was in high school and always wanted to put duel carbs with offy intake and heads on it. Oh yes duel exhaust also. I'm not talking about hot rodding it just dressing up the engine.

I have decided I want a car that I can fix myself rather than having to be at the mercy of a Ford shop. Everything on these new cars is so expensive to fix.

I will have to sell my Mustang to buy this car, which is not a problem.

My question to you all is....am I crazy to even consider this. I am retired and put on about 5,000 miles or less per year so the car will be driven daily, some what.

Will a car like this hold up under daily use?

Thanks, Faspony

You're gonna miss A/C, a good heater, maybe FM radio, power steering and power brakes. And, the windshield wipers will be a little under your last number of cars too. But, if you can handle all of that, it's a neat idea....except for the modifications. They're just going to cost you money you don't need to spend, make it impossible to take your car to an AACA National event, even as a Driver Participation Car. Well, you might be able to show it if it looks stock, but you'll never get the plaque. But, I'm old fashioned, maybe, like John the new judge that windjammer knows. I believe in keeping our cars completely stock, except when a minor modification becomes absolutely necessary and as such is approved. For example, electric fuel pumps, properly installed in a hidden place to HELP OUT the still functional mechanical fuel pump to avoid vapor locks and hard starting after long storage.

Guest Faspony

Thanks for the reply DynaFlash.

I figured I might be stepping on some toes when I mentioned doing the modifications considering what AACA stand for.

I was never into stock cars, although I must say I love to see a nice stock older car. I don't hold with stuffing a modern Chevy or Ford engine into a nice old Ford or any old car.

I'm trying to fulfill an old dream before it's too late.

I'm not concerned about awards or such.

As for the modern convinces like A/C, power steering and a better heater, I figure it would be worth it to have my dream fulfilled. I can always wear long johns, warm coat and gloves. I've owned cars before that didn't have A/C or power steering and never missed it. In fact I don't like to run the A/C on my Mustang, I'd rather have the windows open.

Thanks, Faspony

Guest Faspony

Thanks Keiser31 and 58Mustang

You guys made me feel really good about my dream.

I would never cut this car, it will be totaly stock looking from the outside and interior. I just want to dress up the engine for looks. I'm not into fast cars anymore, my 06 Mustang GT is too fast.

If I can figure out how to attach a pic of this 41 Ford Coupe I will, it's a sweet ride. I'm talking like I have already bought it. I am having the seller do a compression test and send me more pics before I decide to buy it.

He is asking $16,000, but I don't know if that's a fair price or not. I can find any info on old car prices, do you guys know of any place?

Thanks, Faspony

In my 2004 Old Car Price Guide it says $16,000.00 for #2 condition of the 11A V8, $18,200 for #2 condition of the DeLuxe and $18,900 for the #2 condition of the Super Deluxe. What condition is the car in?

Do it before it's too late. I am 66 years old also and was a nut from the begining. My daily driver for my entire driving life has been a 1930 Pontiac that my grandfather bought new. He taught me to drive it in 1959 when it had 99,000 miles on it. It now has 490,000 miles and I still drive it about a thousand miles a month. I would lie if I said I didn't miss the modern air conditioning and a few of the other new accessories, but I really do enjoy my ride.

Guest Bob Call

Faspony

I can appreciate the views of the people that like correct restorations and showing them for trophies, but, I am 68 and grew up in the 50's with hot rodded Fords and Chevys and I appreciate your view. I am currently building a 31 Model A highboy coupe on a 32 frame with a 354 Chrysler hemi just like what I wanted in the 50's but could only afford a Cushman Eagle and a 36 Chevy coupe that my uncle bought for $20.

Get the 41 and do what you want to it and enjoy it. Life is to damn short to worry about hurting someone's feelings because you put Offy heads and dual carbs on your flattie. Don't pay too much. I live in Tulsa and last summer a very decent original 41 coupe changed hands here for $3,000.

If you find you miss AC, Vintage Air in San Antonio has everything you need to put AC in a 41. You might have to drill a couple of holes in the firewall for hoses and drill a couple to hang the evaporator under the dash, but what the hell, the next owner can rip it out and weld up the holes. A modern stereo fits in the glove box just fine and you can have your favorite Gene Vincent and Ivory Joe Hunter tunes.

Keep all of the stock parts you take off so the next owner can put it back to stock if that is their thing.

Drive it like ya stole it!

Guest windjamer

Faspony DO IT.DO IT NOW. To he** with what anyone else thinks. Bob I dont know where you found a 41 that was decent for $3ooo. but a 42/48 has been my dream for years If I could find one for 3-5000 I would buy it in a ny. min. And oh yes, it would have duels and glass packs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 58Mustang</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Put the duals on it and a pair of Smittys, just don't cut the car to do so. You're 66 years old. Do what makes you feel good and don't worry about trophies or the other guy. </div></div>

Abso -freakin-lutely!! If you are not happy with your car what's the point of owning it?

Although I am for the most part a purist I do stray from that with this one thought: It's your car, have fun with it. Life is too short to do otherwise.

See that car over there?

<------

I drive it as often as I can. I can't drive it in heavy traffic for safety reasons and I won't drive it during inclement weather but I sure don't hesitate to drive it the rest of the time. That's what I got it for and I'm having fun doing it.

Have fun with that '41. laugh.gif

Guest windjamer

In 1953 I was 14 yo. For a solid year you could find me in school, in bed or at a local gas station where I hung out and prayed for anyone to come in with a flat tire or wanting a car wash. Sats. and Suns. I was there from seven in the morning till ten at night. I pumped gas checked oil and ran errons for free, but I was paid 75 cents to wash a car compleat and 35 cents to fix a flat. Took me the whole year to pay for a 42 Ford the station owner had, $60.00, the last $5. was a bonus at Xmas time. Spring found me running all over town with that Ford and a set of home made lic. plates. I think Binghamton had maby 3 police cars at that time,most of the cops walked a beat and no way in heck could they out run that Ford and a lead foot smart allick 15 y o. The main differance between men and boys is the cost of there toys. Go get that 41.

Guest Faspony

The car appears to be in good condition with 79,782 miles on the engine. The seller considers it to be a driver, which is what I'm looking for.

It is being sold by a Glen weeks classic cars in Il.

You can check it out on Hemmings, at the top of their home page hit on directory then dealers select Glen Weeks Classic cars, the car is the third one down the page of his inventory.

It's maroon in color.

Thanks for all the support you guys.

Guest Faspony

I have one big hurtle to over come first, I have to sell my car. Hopefully I can do this before that car is gone.

The market for Mustangs isn't too good right now. Maybe I can trade for the 41 Coupe. Even my wife thinks it's a cute car.

Firstborn...You hit the nail right on the head, that's just what I'm trying to do. I have tried to talk myself out of this saying it was foolish to try to recapture the past. Then I think about myself drving down the road listening to the sound of that flathead rumbling and some oldes music on the radio and I'm 18 again.

Thanks so much everyone.

Faspony