Why didnt they build a Nomad?

B.Goode

Guest imported_MrEarl

KOOL MAN cool.gif

Since Buick styling was always a year ahead of Chevy, I do believe it would have been a 1954 Buick Nomad. Can I see that in a 54 please? laugh.gif

Guest imported_Thriller

Lamar...are you suggesting it's high time to start modifying my model 69?

OK, Lamar...Lamar...you OK? I hope you didn't hurt yourself falling off your chair like that wink.gifgrin.gif

Guest ZondaC12

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thriller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lamar...are you suggesting it's high time to start modifying my model 69?

</div></div>

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTT

Looks good to me with the skirted wheelwells.

I always wondered why GM gave the "image" cars to Chevrolet, when they would probably have appealed more to a Buick or Olds owner. I can understand amortizing the cost of the Nomad with Pontiac though, since the Chev and Pontiac wagons used the same body shell.

Guess they figured Chevy sales volume could cover it if it flopped, and Cadillac prestige would cover losses per car in that market.

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: my3buicks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Of course we can't forget that Buick and Olds got this, and the lower end GM's did not. </div></div>

WOW! Keith, you look at that car and have to ask yourself, What happened!!? What went wrong!!?

• 2 weeks later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrEarl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">KOOL MAN cool.gif

Since Buick styling was always a year ahead of Chevy, I do believe it would have been a 1954 Buick Nomad. Can I see that in a 54 please? laugh.gif </div></div>

For you Mr. Earl, sir, anything you desire grin.gif

buicknomad1954my8.jpg

Guest imported_MrEarl

aaaahhhhhhhhh maaannnnnnnn, and it's a Roadmaster at that.You da man!!!

That does it, I'm schedulng one of my 4 doors for a conversion. Project start date - early 2025

You're a Goode man, my man.

Guest my3buicks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skyking</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: my3buicks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Of course we can't forget that Buick and Olds got this, and the lower end GM's did not. </div></div>

WOW! Keith, you look at that car and have to ask yourself, What happened!!? What went wrong!!? </div></div>

Am I reading this right and you don't like the 57 hardtop wagons?

On my short list of cars to own.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrEarl</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'm schedulng one of my 4 doors for a conversion. ... </div></div>

You gotta use a 2 door for this, not a 4 door. And it would have been a superior car for sure. How in the heck did Harley Earl miss this one?

Keith, I think Sky is asking what went wrong with GM styling in "modern" times.

I wonder the same thing. I can't stand a car that looks like everything else on the road, and they all look like jellybeans. I certainly won't go in debt to own one. Some of us still exist who think of a car as more than an appliance, and styling of most modern stuff has all the personality of a washing machine.

Then again I can remember a time when even washing machines and electric ranges had styling. I would love to own a mid 50s Philco or Hotpoint range and refrigerator, but those things are more expensive per se than old cars.

OK, while you are playing with PhotoShop, what would you do with the Chevy HHR to make it into a Buick?

Two-door, or four-door, or both? Would it get a classic Buick grille, and if so, which one?

Mechanically, it would be easy; build it with the turbocharged 2.4 engine, or make a special supercharged version.

It reminds me of that guy who showed an El Camino modified with a Buick GS front end, interior and doors at a national meet a few years ago. Wow, what a great looking car that was!

That thing is beyond hope no matter what you do with it. See my comments about jellybean styling.

At least the PT Cruiser was something different when it was introduced. HHR is GM's usual lackluster imitation of something someone else was successful with. They didn't even do a good job with the 47-53 Advanced Design Truck grille knockoff.

Now that there is no Plymouth, how can Chrysler justify calling it a <span style="font-weight: bold">P</span>(lymouth) <span style="font-weight: bold">T</span>(ruck) anyway? whistle.gif

Actually, the HHR is pretty cool. I bought one for my wife last year for Christmas.

It is built on the Cobalt platform, which is amazingly quiet and solid. With a little more performance, it could be upgraded to have a Buick personality....as long as GM doesn't run up the price to $35K.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Reatta Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

It reminds me of that guy who showed an El Camino modified with a Buick GS front end, interior and doors at a national meet a few years ago. Wow, what a great looking car that was! </div></div>

The X-Camino?

http://www.classiccarinteriors.com/xcamino.htm