1910 Pickard Touring

Guest Pickard1910

Wow, The exaust valve seats and guides are part of the exaust manifold also. Very cool and different. cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It appears there would be one cam for intake and another for exhaust? </div></div>

Yes, it has two cams, left and right of the crank shaft. This is not uncommon for early auto engines.

Does it have a lubricator on the dash? This would determine if it is a lost oil system or a recirculating system. smile.gif Dandy Dave!

Yes, there is a lubricator on the dash with 2 sight gages. These need to be on when you are running this car. A drip about every 7 to 10 seconds should be sufficent. I would say that this is a lost oil system. In other words, The oil that goes though the oil system eventually finds its way to the ground. Run a straight 30 or 40 wt oil in it for the best results.

I see that your a Pickard, are you in anyway related to the builders??? smile.gif Dandy Dave!

Guest Pickard1910

Thanks for the info, the gentleman i purchased the Pickard from told me the same about the oil system and to use 30wt, it's nice to hear that others agree!

I am a very distant relation to the builders, when my G-grandfather first came to America it was Brockton, MA. where he landed, the home of quite a few Pickard's and still to this day. My studies and interest in ancestry is really what brought me to the vehicle, that and a lot of luck.

Below i'll post some pics of the factory and folks out for a ride.

Dave

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barry Wolk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It seems so strange to see a fan behind the radiator shell. </div></div>

It's not a "radiator shell," in Franklin terminology it's called a "hood front."

Guest Pickard1910

Now that I have all you air-cooled motor guy's attention, I have recently sold my Triumph spitfire and 59 Edsel Ranger, both very nice drivers and both I just fell into, my point is that I am down to one automobile, and this one is never getting sold! The 1910 Pickard by rights should have its legs streched, other wise it's just something else to dust, but it will never be an every weekend driver. I have been kicking around the idea of buying a late 20's to early 30's Franklin perferably a 4 door, closed or not, both have their pros. I am putting the feelers out there to see if there is a better model? something to avoid? I'll be the first to admit that while I can turn a wrench I generally fall into the history side of vehichle knowledge. I am looking to spend $6000-$9000, and hope to find something that I can enjoy driving and fixing up at the same time. As a side note I am pretty much a purest when it comes to my vices, and am not looking to modify in anyway, shape or form!

Below is a picture of my(former) Edsel!

Thanks for all your insite, Dave

post-59198-143138019495_thumb.jpg

Franklins make very good drivers. I put 1,200 miles on mine in two weeks this summer attending the Franklin Trek and then the AACA Eastern Divisional Tour in Mass. The Franklin club is a VERY supportive group.

If you want to drive, and drive a lot, you will want a side-draft model, so-called because of the cooling system. These include everything 1930 and later. The 1929 models are also a good choice. This was the first year for steel chassis (1928 long wheelbase cars also have steel frames) and mechanical fuel pumps. The power was also up from '28.

Every now and then, a car in the $10k range shows up in running condition, but not too often. Right now there is a 1930 sedan on eBay and an Olympic sedan in Hemmings. Either would be a nice choice. Also look on the Franklin Club's web site, www.franklincar.org

Attached is a photo of my 1932 Franklin. Mr. Pickard should recognize the location.

post-48034-143138019507_thumb.jpg

Guest Pickard1910

Thanks for your insite Steve, and I do recognize the location of the picture above. I have heard that the entire collection was sold to a collector in Alaska, any truth to that?

Dave

Guest Pickard1910

Thanks, right place, right time, right last name, didn't hurt either. Mr Wickham is a gentleman. There was a lot of interest in his collection, I was lucky enough to spend a few days there, not long before the collection was sold and took lots of pictures.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pickard1910</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, what a beauty, please feel free ad any input to this thread. You have some collection! </div></div>

Tatra's not mine. I only have "Continentals". I'm a theme collector. It limits my collection to a reasonable level. crazy.gif

I would say the car has found it's way home then. These are the best kinds of cars to have as you already have some sentimential attachment to it. And you have a direct connection with the History of the automobile. I like to see things work out this way. smile.gif Dandy Dave!

Guest windjamer

Never heard of a pickard, thought maby it was a misprent,BUT its pretty, the carbs say made in usa, its got a ac fuel pump and evan the hose clamps say usa. I like it.

Do you need to get that Hercules tuned up??? I worked on a C.C. for a friend a while back with the same motor. Make sure that the water is flowing though the block before you take off across the water with it. If it starves for water, it will likely crack a valve seat. His ran great on 5 cylinders and missed on one. wink.gif Dandy Dave!

Guest Pickard1910

I just found this Sale lit. I have had it for a few years, I found it on ebay, it's what got me started on the journey. It is the only original sale lit. that I can find, and have been looking for about 7 years. I thought some of you guys might enjoy it(plus I noticed my thread was get low on the forum page!)

Dave

post-59198-143138019655_thumb.jpg

post-59198-143138019659_thumb.jpg

post-59198-143138019667_thumb.jpg

That CBL engine is a work of art. The original engine for my boat was a KFL. I saw an engine like yours in a '55 Cobra. Could I ask a favor? Could you measure the height of the motor above the floor boards? I wonder if a KBL like yours would fit. I've seen boats like mine that have what appears to be a scoop on top of the engine compartment.

If you have some time to kill. I spent the summer readying my '56 18' CC Continental for it's first run on the water in 6 years.

Time to get the Continental in the water again.

Guest Pickard1910

No problem Barry, I will do it today, I have to hook the boat up and take it in for winterizing. And as you can see my engine cover has that hood scoop.

Guest Pickard1910

Barry, I just had a chance to get to my 53 Sportman today, and from the floor to the top of the highest carb is 26 inches, do you think it'll fit? The KBL is a really cool engine. Hope it works.

Dave