Not Starting...

Mermaid

Hi, All ~

I have a 1991 Reatta that had been sitting for almost a year (in an underground climate controlled parking facility). During that time, the battery dropped dead. When I bought and installed a new one, the car started right up...no problems. Yay!

I drove it across the street to take pictures of it because I am preparing to sell it. While I had it out, it ran out of gas. That's not puzzling because the part of the display that shows the fuel level and the speed is not working. Anyway, I put 2 gallons of gas in it, and it wouldn't start. I had never had any trouble starting it after running out of gas. I figured I might have flooded it, so I let it sit overnight and then put two more gallons of gas in it. It still wouldn't start.

I checked the battery cables and they are fine. Besides, it is turning over, just not starting. What I'm wondering is this...could it be that while it was sitting condensation formed in the gas tank? It started OK with the little bit of gas because it was settled on the bottom, but when I added gas the condensation blended with the gas I added. If so, is there an additive I can put in the gas tank to draw out the condensation?

Of course, that's just my idea. You all are the pros. Are there any other things it could be? I looked for a "carburator" to prime with gas, but couldn't find one.

Anyone else had this experience or know of it? Suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,

Lynne

Guest steakneggs

You might have to cycle the pump a few times to get gas up to the front by turning the key on till you here the pump run then stop. Repeat a few times. If you don't hear the pump then that's the problem. Check the fuse (don't know where it is). If the pump works but it still won't start squirt a shot of ether (starting fluid) into the throttle body while someone is starting it. If it only runs on ether than you have a fuel system problem somewhere. Maybe clogged injectors. Steak

Thanks to you both. I'm not sure what a fuel pump sounds like, but the next time I try to start it, I'll listen to see if I hear anything kick in. I know where the fuses are, so I'll check that out, too.

So, I'm OK at locating a battery and a radiator and where to put the fluids. I think I've seen something that says, "Throttle Body" on it - at the motor end of a corrigated hose that's about 4 inches in diameter. Do I take that off at the motor end, or is there another place to squirt the starting fluid?

Also, if the fuel system has a problem, would it have run OK until I ran out of gas?

Thanks again,

Lynne

Guest Bobby Valines

lynne I don't want to sound like a kill joy but the motor could back fire and spit the ether out and cause a fire. I like Ronnie's susgestion better. have someone turn the key on on while you put your ear to the open gas cap area. Report back with your findings.

Guest steakneggs

There is a possiblity of fire because the throttle body sits sideways and some ether might run out. It works better with downdraft stuff. But if you just give it a mini-squirt and wipe off any run-off before starting it should be okay. All you want to do is to see if it will briefly start. About your question about why it ran before it ran out of gas: The new gas might have stirred up some sediment or moisture in the tank and sent it to your injectors or clogged the fuel filter. Steak

what about the little green connector. It was used by the factory to activate the pump and get gasoline up to the motor. It is somewhere on the drivers side inner fender. It is not connected to anything. Just connect it to the + battery for about 40 seconds.....I believe [green] is the right color...............also from sitting and pulling the old gas and what ever particles in the bottom of the tank through the screen the filter just might be clogged....ken

Green plug: in 1984 when we started making the new mini-van: astro and gmc we cranked on the starter much longer than should be to get the motor started for the first time. It was at least 6 months before we found out about the plug. We had a guy up the line hook up the plug to the battery while he did his job. 54 an hour or 1.09 minutes for each operation. So at max. the wire stayed hooked up a max of 1.09 minutes. Would you believe from then on the motor started with the first few turns.....I bet the starters didn't last long for the first 6 months of production...? A good 24 year run for that van. Gm should still be making it today for the telephone co's and a lot of other users. I agree it was outdated as a people mover. They could sell plenty as a plain jane work van..but what do I know........? Gm's oldest plant. Built in 1935. Now all that stands is the water tower.....very sad

Ken

Thanks again to everyone! I still haven't gotten it started again, but that's mostly because I haven't got a second person to listen for the fuel pump. And I haven't had the time to drive to a place where I can get the starter fluid. Then, of course, I hadn't printed out your messages when I went to the car today, so I couldn't remember the details. That comes with age, I guess!

KEN...I looked for a "green thing", but couldn't find it. Would it be something I would have to get under the car to see, or would it be under the hood on the inside fender?

REATTABOY...Where's the fuel rail? Is that under the car from where I put the gas in to the gas tank?

Maybe tomorrow will be the day!

The plug, is a connector. It just hangs on the wireing harness. It looks like it should be plugged into something, but is not. Some are hard to find. I think the reason is owners were asking the dealers why it was there. So after its first and only use the factory could have taped it to the harness out of sight. It is usually in back of the air cleaner too the firewall. Usually about halfway inbetween. You get to it from the top driver's side. The key should not have to be on. It might even disable it as the key does start the pump.......someone posted a picture of it a while back.....hope this helps.....I know how frsstration this can be. I am in the process of trying to install dsl into this computer and another older one. I need Padgett or F4 to be here to help. I hate wires. Give me some nuts and bolts.................ken

Lynne, This seems to be getting way too complicated to determine if the fuel pump is running or not.

Just sit in the car with the windows up, hopefully the car is located in a quite place, and turn the ignition key to the run position (not start). Listen for a noise that will be a humming type sound. It should only last for about 30 seconds and stop. You can repeat turning the key on and off a few times until you are satisfied that the pump is running or not.

As a test, turn the key on for about 30 seconds and then off. (this will prime the fuel system) Do that about 6-8 times and then see if the car will start and run.

Report back here if you hear the pump running or not.

The fuel pump only runs for 2 seconds after key on but can be made to run continuously by applying 12v to the "prime" connector or cranking until the oil light goes out (the fuel pump is interlocked with the oil pressure switch).

Guest steakneggs

It shouldn't take but 6 or so cycles of the key to pump some fuel up there. I wouldn't waste my time with that wire. Steak

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steakneggs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It shouldn't take but 6 or so cycles of the key to pump some fuel up there. I wouldn't waste my time with that wire. Steak </div></div>My thoughts exactly. In my opinion the first thing to do is determine if the pump is running or not.

Guest Bill_Boro

You can also jumper 12 volt power to the fuel pump relay output. It is the far left relay in the cluster of three on the fire wall as viewed from the front of the car.

I'm glad to find this information. We have an '88 that will start right up, run fine no problems. Then once every few weeks it won't start, the engine will engage but not turn over. When we put it into neutral and push it out of the garage for the tow truck, it will then start. Has happened several times and is getting worse. Does this sound related to the fuel injection-pump theory?

Guest steakneggs

When you say "engage" does that mean "crank"?. If it cranks over but won't start than it could be a similar issue to the one on this thread. If it won't crank then it's a different issue. Steak

I usually do something even dumber - I pour about an ounce of gas directly into the intake and crank - if it fires then quits, there is a fuel delivery problem. If nothing happens then it is ignition related.

FINALLY! I found the valve on the fuel rail, took the cap off, and pushed on the pin in the center. The first time I tried it, the gas squirted out about 3 inches. But the second and and anytime again I tried, it just drizzled out.

I found the green connector, I think, but I don't see how to connect it to the + side of the battery. If I understood those directions correctly.

I haven't tried the starting fluid thing because I have sold the car and the person who has bought it would rather I not. And I still haven't found a second person to listen and "pound" on the fuel tank to jump the pump (if I understood that one correctly).

It's been raining, raining, raining here, so later today I plan to go out (after the NASCAR race) and get more gas to put into it. Right now it's only got about 4 gallons, and some say I should have at least 5.

Again, thanks to all for your ideas. I think it came close to starting yesterday after pushing in the valve on the fuel rail, so I'm hoping that adding fuel will do it!

I found the valve on the fuel rail, took the cap off, and pushed on the pin in the center. The first time I tried it, the gas squirted out about 3 inches. But the second and and anytime again I tried, it just drizzled out.

I found the green connector, I think, but I don't see how to connect it to the + side of the battery. If I understood those directions correctly.

I haven't tried the starting fluid thing because I have sold the car and the person who has bought it would rather I not. And I still haven't found a second person to listen and "pound" on the fuel tank to jump the pump (if I understood that one correctly).

It's been raining, raining, raining here, so later today I plan to go out (after the NASCAR race) and get more gas to put into it. Right now it's only got about 4 gallons, and some say I should have at least 5.

Again, thanks to all for your ideas. I think it came close to starting yesterday after pushing in the valve on the fuel rail, so I'm hoping that adding fuel will do it!

I found the green connector, I think, but I don't see how to connect it to the + side of the battery. If I understood those directions correctlly.

YOU HAVE TO MAKE A CONNECTOR. We just used an aligator clip to the battery along with about 6 foot os wire with the right connector for the green plug.....give this information to the new owner......ken