Reatta in ten years

Guest Bobby Valines

Guest Bobby Valines

Someone the other day said something like ( buying a reatta might be better than buying stock ) Obviously buying a reatta ten years ago and selling it now, you would loose money, even if you put it in a garage and didn't drive it. Do you think if you put your reatta in the garage and didn't drive it for ten years you could make money today. Personally I plan on driving mine till the wheels fall off. But if i didn't I'm thinking it would be worth a lot more in ten years. Would like some input on this subject if you don't mind. Thank you. ps It would be a good argument for your wife.

post-56791-143138012916_thumb.jpg

Guest steveskyhawk

In my opinion, when the economic funk is over, and the cars turn 25 years old they will become very valuable. Just my opinion. Support reasoning being that with the cuerrent trends in auto manufacture leaning toward small fuel efficient, electric, spartain cars a Reatta will really be different. The Reatta will still be driveable because they are fairly good on gas. When your neighbors all drive something that has the styleing of a shoebox, runs on limited battery power, NO power asseories, the Reatta will be the talk of the town.

**** Depending how big your 401K was you probably could have bought a few nice Reattas with what you donated to irresponsible bankers that are driving Bentleys now.

From your lips to God's ears. I hope you are right. I don't think they will become all that valuable, even in 10 years. Rare doesn't mean valuable. Think of the AMC Gremlins or Pacers. Typically, the collector car market doesn't value Buicks as highly as many other makes, with a few exceptions. The cars that typically appreciate to high dollar status were those that were very desirable when new but unaffordable to the masses. The Reatta qualifies on the second count but misses the first. While we know how terrific these cars are and love the styling, the Great Unwashed just doesn't have the same opinion. The only possible exception to this could be the convertible Reatta but even those I don't suspect will ever appreciate to high dollar collector car status. I know that an expensive, hand built, 2 seater, with a ton of luxury touches should remain a desirable car but the Reatta didn't, if ever it was desirable.

That said, we should revel in the fact that we, as the select few, understand the desirability of these cars, and we can pick them up for peanuts from the less knowing. I plan to keep my coupe until the wheels fall off and even with 146K on the clock, that doesn't seem like anytime soon.

Not a chance in hell, ever!!!

Just look at Barrett-Jackson and see what is selling for the big bucks.

It is not and will not be a Reatta, ever.

The only exception might be if there is a large gold, platinum or rhodium brick in the trunk.

Guest F14CRAZY

Sadly I don't predict them going up too much in value aside from some exceptions such as Select 60's and super low mileage cars.

You would need to have special powers to predict values in the future. I think you can predict the cars that will become future collectables. There are certain things that have historically seperated the cars that become sought after from the others.

I think we have talked about this before and I am starting a list from memory... and the candidates must have several of the items.... one or two do not a collectable make.

* Low production numbers

* premium car/high original cost

* premium quality

* fast

* preferably good looking

You can add more.

I understand that some of the 50-60's economy cars are bringing premiums (not necessarly high dollars) because you can have an old collectable car that get good mileage...

Crosleys, and Metropolitans are two that are in that catagory.

I believe the Reatta will be a great future collectable.

I am not saying they are going to hit the million $ sales mark within my lifetime, but they (premium quality low mileage Reattas) could exceed their original MSRP in the next 5 years.

Lets start a list of cars made from 1985 to 1995 that you thing will be future collectables....... one big problem with late model cars is the amount of plastic that is sometimes almost impossible to replace if it is damaged.

Guest steveskyhawk

I disagree with the naysayers. Think of the 55 chevy nomad. It was an expensive, fancy, 2 door wagon with limited production numbers. Sounds like a reatta to me. Keep the faith.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EDBS0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not a chance in hell, ever!!!

Just look at Barrett-Jackson and see what is selling for the big bucks.

It is not and will not be a Reatta, ever.

The only exception might be if there is a large gold, platinum or rhodium brick in the trunk.</div></div>

I listed my '91 black/grey with 49K on Auto Trader and sold it right away. Buyer came the next day with cash. Decided to leave it listed, since I will sell either the white '91 (30K) or the red '91 (36K) next. Have had 3 more serious calls in the last couple of days. Am listing a '91 in the Bugle for the next couple of months as well.

I think there are Reatta buyers out there. Some are just learning about the car. In some cases to get an above-average price you might have to wait it out, but I think a low-mileage Reatta in good shape will get a decent price...without a gold brick in the trunk.

Still waiting for a Nigerian scam letter. smile.gif

Guest jamhudson

Lots of people have never seen one before. I had never seen any but mine. Saw it researched it and found this forum and bought it same day. But I call it a Buick Rattle! LOL. One day I will find that racket.

Guest F14CRAZY

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steveskyhawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The landing lights on my skyhawk are in the left wing. </div></div>

that Skyhawk is cooler, but I had this one in mind. I'd take one if I could find one in good shape

685653_6_full.jpg

Guest imported_tyrel

This thread is quite humorous. This explains why there are some sellers out there who believe that the car was the greatest thing ever invented, and they price it accordingly. While I loved the two Reattas that I owned, and I believe the car is stylistically beautiful, it's completely unrealistic to expect a mass-produced american car to actually increase in value as time goes on. There are very few cars that actually appreciate, and they are usually up in the hundreds of thousands of dollars and traded around among millionaires.

Locally on craigslist there is a 1990 for sale, 100,000 miles, and the guy is firm at $6,500 because (I'm paraphrasing) "the car's value will shoot into the stratosphere when it hits 25 years". I just wonder how in the world people could be so delusional.

Bob;

I base my opinion on the fact that you can purchase any number of desirable, highly collectable and rare Corvette ZR1 with less than 50 miles on them, many were taken right off the GM transporters without even making it to the showroom floor and put in climate controlled storage with all the protective shipping plastic still on the seats and exterior. They are selling today for about 1/2 of what the investor purchased it for!!!

Reattas will not appreciate at "investment" rates.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EDBS0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Reattas will not appreciate at "investment" rates. </div></div>

Over the past 5 years I bought a number of '91 Reatta convertibles and coupes. I put them in decent shape and sold them only when an interested buyer came along. I didn't get rich, but looking back I made about 12-15% on my money.

Today my 401K is down 42%, and my condo in Florida is down about 25% in today's market. Frankly, I think I'd rather buy a few more Reatta convertibles, put them in showroom condition, hang on to them and then sell one once in awhile to keep me out of subsidized housing or a senior home. cool.gif

I also took a 12% hit on my retirement. (looks like I got 6% or 7% back today).

Our home is up 10% in the past year but we arn't selling so...

it continues to increase this year.

I did drive my first Reatta for 5 years and quickly sold it when I tired of it for $500 less than what I paid.

Not too bad $100 a year depreciation.

Small hint, buy a gold mutual fund, you will be very happy well before 10 years.

Guest CL_Reatta

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tyrel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Locally on craigslist there is a 1990 for sale, 100,000 miles, and the guy is firm at $6,500 because (I'm paraphrasing) "the car's value will shoot into the stratosphere when it hits 25 years". I just wonder how in the world people could be so delusional. </div></div>

Reminds me of the reatta on you tube that is for sale... 1990 with 100k miles.... Appraised at $9000... LOLOLOL heres the link if your curious

Guest alex_houston

I have failed misserably over the years in out guessing the future in cars. I think of all the 57 Nomads I sold for junk, the GTOs I traded for boats, the 40 Caddy I sold to buy a crib for my son, etc, etc, etc.

I have had many others that I would love to have back today. Fact is I don't know anyone who has ever been able to keep all the fine old cars they run across. One exception is a man I met in Livingston, Tx. who has some 20 acres of cars parked in his front yard. Years range from the 20s to the 70s. Even with all his cars though, lack of care and sitting outside all these years has deteriorated from their value. I am trying to keep most of my cars in sheds at least but shed maintenance is starting to cost my life savings.

I have decided to stick with Reattas I can drive for now and when I retire(very soon) I will start restoring some of my older cars.(20s)

One GTO I sold in the past for $200 to a friend whom I was afraid I was robbing, was parked in a garage for years never being touched. Last year my friend sold it for 20K and it had to be hauled away with a wrecker. Wish me luck for that to happen to all my Reattas.

I think a car's future value is directly proportional to the number of kids who dreamed about owning that car when they were in high school. When cars first became popular such as Model Ts and As, the kids in school couldn't afford them but when they came of age they started to buy and restore them. Those cars were popular for a long time and their prices showed it. Now with that generation edging towards no longer being able to drive, the prices of those cars are dropping. In the 60s when I was in school it was the muscle cars that we dreamed about. Now look at the prices those cars are getting because my generation, well some of us, can afford to live their high school dreams.Unfortunately I don't think there were a lot of kids in the late 80s who dreamed about driving a middle-aged man's car(the perception of Buicks). And so I don't think Reattes are going to skyrocket in price.

I drive mine with the top down and a big smile on my face knowingly that I belong to an elite sect who can appreciate a fine automobile while hoping there are others out there with similar values to help our cars maintain their value.

Scott

Guest CL_Reatta

^

I like that point very much... Yes, no offense but the main group of people that are interested in Reatta's are the "baby boomers" and a little older and younger... there is not a large group of people that are 30's and younger that have an interest in restoring the cars that the baby boomers wil be giving up in the Near(ish) future.... leaving the Reatta to slowly fade away without much attention.

Ol Yeller - I winced when you included our beloved Reatta in the same post mentioning Gremlins and Pacers. May as well go all the way and include Pintos! :-)

I think Barney is right. Reatta's may not be popular with the younger crowd, and they may never command the price of a GTO or '64 Nova (why did I ever sell that car?) But they will be collectible for that era ('85 to '95). What other cars from those years (or even from '80 to '00) will be collector's items? Another problem with cars of that era is that they all look like one another! Reattas ARE beautiful, stylish, and well made.

Guest F14CRAZY

When the people that grew up with a vehicle lose interest (or pass on) that can be a problem. My dad made the point with the Model T...the original owners, their children, and their grandchildren may not be around anymore and it isn't likely the great grandchildren will be interested, sadly

Guest Bill_Boro

I have a low milage 1947 Kaiser Frazer. It was my first car after using the "family car" a 1954 Plymoth Belvedere. I drove the Frazer to college and often to party in NYC on Friday and Saturday nights for a year and a half. I bought it in 1970 from a gentleman who had several collector cars including the Frazer and was liquidating because he was terminally ill. It had less than 20K miles on the odometer and had belonged to his sister.

He gave it to me for $300, half its asking price..... because nobody else was interested in it. I bought it then because it was different.

My Frazer may be worth about $3500 today, less than what I paided in garage rent for it back in the 1980s. I keep it because it is now a touch stone to me not an investment. The memories are PRICELESS!!!!

The Reatta I have is a very practicle sports car. It is fun to drive, smooth and comfortable. Is a guilt free way to endulge my midlife ....... whatever. If it was a Cord or Zypher V-12 I might feel guilty "consuming" it and be afraid to leave it in a public parking lot. Not so for the Reatta.

Driving, maintaining and upgrading my Reatta are a guilt free pleasure. I hope that I can leave it, in better shape than I bought it, to someone that will get a kick out of whats left of the Reatta and being different.

I bought my first Reatta ten years ago. A '90 coupe. Have learned alot about them since then and have owned a few more along the way. Every time I walk out to the parking lot to go somewhere I am still taken with it's looks and say to myself everytime, "What a cool car."

Mike

I have a 90 Reatta with less than 60,ooo miles, garage kept and in beautiful condition. If I can drive it two or three years and sell it for only a couple of thousand less than I put in it, I will be satisfied. I will still have lost only a couple thousand to drive a wonderful, rare machine. Reattas may not increase in value but they sure do not suffer the decreciation new cars do. Reattas offer a money saving experience with a car you hardly ever see on the road. That is good enough for me.

Guest steakneggs

Reattas will never be investment-worthy because a: They are not fast, b: They have little or no mystique, and c: They came from a forgettable period of automotive history. All of which make them great deals NOW. Steak

In response:

1. If you used speed as a requirement you would need to throw out more than half the cars on the AACA forums as investment worthy.

2. If they have no mystique then why do people ask me all the time "what kind of car is that" and pull up beside me and tell me they really like the car? I've had lots of conversations at the gas pumps because people want to know about the car.

3. They came from a forgettable period to us now but so were the '40 to my father. At that period in time those old cars were just good transportation to him. Now those cars are some of the most sought after cars there are. If I just had all the cars I know of that he owned during that period I would be a rich man. It's a matter of perspective.

I agree that Reattas are great deals. If I had a place to store them without costing me money I would have more than one.

Guest dpannell

Bob.....You've sold all your Reatta but one? I really loved the Silver you had. The 90' I bought from you is coming along nicely......and I agree...exceptional cars will bring exceptional prices in a few years. Dave

Guest TheChevyHDMan

I dont really care if my 200 dollar scrap convertible is going to be a collectible.

I really appreciate the fact that few people know about the car, and I appreciate the fact that I dont see 20 like it in the same day.

Its the whole deal behind the car that makes it "collectible" to me. Few made, Made few years, "hand made" Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, And as F-ing ugly as my Reatta is now.....I am in LOVE.

Bill

Guest F14CRAZY

Reatta's came from a decade in which the Corvette, America's supercar, has 200 hp. It isn't fast and not much else was.

Reatta is a part of everyday life. One of those subjects that keeps me up at night. Plenty of questions and compliments...there's definitely a mystique ASIDE from being an absolutely beautiful, hand built, limited production two seat car

Guest F14CRAZY

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steakneggs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reattas will never be investment-worthy because a: They are not fast</div></div>

but someday it will be when I'm putting down 400 hp and 450+ ft lbs to the ground

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dpannell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bob.....You've sold all your Reatta but one? I really loved the Silver you had. The 90' I bought from you is coming along nicely......and I agree...exceptional cars will bring exceptional prices in a few years. Dave </div></div>

Dave-

The '90 silver is headed to Port St. Lucie, FL. The '91 red is going to Myrtle Beach, SC. The black '91 as well as the white '91 were sold locally. All new owners are extremely nice people who I hope become members of the forum. Outside of an ad for the black Reatta on Auto Trader, they were not advertised.

The white '91 I still have came from the NY/Canadian border and is in great condition. Would like to find a white '91 with low mileage and the rare blue/white interior and white rims.

It's amazing how many people out there are just finding out about Reattas and looking for creampuffs with low mileage.

Guest steakneggs

Lemme 'splain what I mean by mystique. It is not the same as curiosity. Even though Reattas are about 20 years old, they are modern in that they share the same transverse-mounted front-drive EFI arrangement as every other everyday car. I don't foresee this configuration evolving any further. It's practical. It's also boring. I can't see any front-drive car becoming a sought-after classic. Also I don't wonder what it was like to own a Reatta when it was new like I have with other cars I have owned, particularly VW buses and Porsches. It's a somewhat unfair comparison, because in the case of Porsches, Reattas weren't marketed to the automotive elite like Porsches were. There is also something exciting about things that are German that American engineering can't duplicate. Steak