Bought Reatta for $200 need advice

Guest TheChevyHDMan

Guest TheChevyHDMan

Hello all. Just like to introduce myself my name is Bill, by a fateful happenstance I bought a Buick Reatta today for 200 bucks from a guy who was going to scrap it.

I saw it and knew it was destined for the scrapyard, but as young as I am I knew it was a rare car,.... I had to buy it. Its a white convertible,(Top and Body) and Blue interior I do not know whether its a 90/91. it has 50,000 miles and needs work. It runs and moves, but is NOT PRETTY.

I will post many pics etc tommorrow of it, but What should I look for.

I can see most common-sense things but need to know what to look for. Basically what I am getting at is can you people tell me if this car is worth fixing or if its POS parts car.

One of 2300 made I know its rare, but I am getting married in 11 months so cash is extremely tight, It looks like a fun project, but I am scared of the "Money Pit" syndrome.

Thanks to you all

Bill from Connecticut

Guest RoadmstrNReatta

It's rare, but regardless, sounds like a deal on a fun car. Hope you can get a title for it! If the brakes, electronics, and the A/C work properly you're VERY lucky and the rest of the stuff isn't such a big deal.

50,000 miles and he was going to scap it ? Will need to see pictures but usually it is the electrics/brakes that give problems but all can be fixed.

That said you are in a salt area so need to check out the frame, engine cradle, wheel wells, and brake lines for rust.

Least expensive I have seen a convert (running/driving) go was $3500 and that was with a lot more miles.

Good news is that both the 90 and the 91 service manuals are on line at http://www.reatta.net and one picture of the engine should tell us which you have.

Think of the Reatta as a hobby, a life style, and a learning experience. In many cases you can trade time for money but best you have an enclosed space to work on it.

Guest F14CRAZY

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome. $200 for a running/driving convertible is a very, very, VERY good purchase. We once paid $3k for a rough '90 convertible and thought that was a good deal itself. I'm interested in seeing the pix.

Good thing is that Reattas use standard GM powertrain parts, so except for specific items, repair and maintenance aren't bad except maybe for the Teves ABS, unless you have a 1991. Distinguishing features include 16'' wheels, the "power pull down" top feature, the "tuned port injection" 3800 V6, the armrest with the cupholder, and a few other things.

If you have a '90, take the Teves brake tests at Reatta.net, which will help you get the system in good, safe operating condition. At the least you will want to/need to bleed the old fluid out of the system.

Again, welcome.

-F14

Guest TheChevyHDMan

Ok It is not a hop in and drive down the road car, it needs work, new top, carpet, God knows whats else.It has 4 new tires (was another part of the selling point) Its a single owner but has been sitting for a few years,what else I dont know right now It is a worse car more so then a better car.

One of my best friends Is a Buick Service Manager said look for electrical problems. The scrap truck guy said its hitting the yard at 9 am tommorrow, I needed time before i said Id buy it, but said to "heck with it."

It needs work, and a trunk if anyone has one, a carpet, top, just to start on the basics.

Bill

Guest CL_Reatta

WOW.... I ENVY YOU!!!! Welcome to the forum.... A convert for $200 is more than a steal, much much much more.... Congrats on the purchase.... Reattas tend to be a bit on the "money pit" side, but are not to terrible.... not as bad as other cars.

You'r screwing with us...........right?

If you have a place to park/store it, even without a title, you can part out the car and go looking for your next find.

First establish what year the car is.... post the vin number here and we can tell you. A 1991 from the factory would have 16" wheels, but they can be put on 1990's so the vin tells the story.

Guest TheChevyHDMan

has title.

Whats weird is the research I have seen says leather interior for convertible, but in the 2 seconds I saw the inside I Swear it was cloth.

Bill

Guest TheChevyHDMan

Booreatta,

I knew the car was worth money to certain people. I am one of those certain people. I liked the style when the car came out( I was 10 in 1988)

Its not for sale........yet.

Bill.

Guest TheChevyHDMan

I didnt have the title in hand, as previously stated. I just got the car. Its Vin is

1G4EC33C71B907644

The one(1) near the 7 almost looks like an L

I will post pics when I get home tonight.

Its rough, but salvageable

Bill

Guest steakneggs

Look at the master cylinder to tell the diff. If it has a vac booster it is a '91. If it has some ghastly contraption with a bunch of wires it is a '90. A structurally rusted Reatta is not worth fixing. A broken windshield is another red flag. The rest of the stuff can be reasonably repaired if you DIY and buy used/rebuilt parts. Steak

Guest TheChevyHDMan

Guys I dont know how this site is with pics, a quick update. The car runs good, brakes feel mint considering how rough the rotors look from sitting. The inside Is wet, but not rusted, Honestly its really clean underneath. It needs a top, a front bumper, maybe a trunk lid, and hood. The instrument cluster does not work.

The engine feels smooth, tranny in the 3 second jaunt feels good. Its not bad but not good either, Its still solid so Its a keeper. I dont know how you DL pics here but I will try the same way I do at other sites.

Bill Nope how do I DL pics, I cant do them right to site here?

Steps:

1. Click "File Manager" to bring up the "Attachment" window.

2. Click "Browse" to bring up the file browser window; this will allow you to browse your computer for any files or images you wish to upload

3. Click "open" on the file you wish to upload.

4. Click "add file" to add another file, or "done" to close the window and complete your posting.

Please note that you must enter some text in both the "subject" and "post" fields when responding otherwise you will receive an error; you cannot just respond with an attachment .

Sorry there was some doubt and congratulations....from what you describe you definitly got a steal sir....If you have the time and a few dollars, you will get the technical help you need right here to make/realize a nice collectable automobile - AND will provide you with much pride.....Welcome to the Forum smile.gif.

FYI - We have our own resident used parts supplier on the Forum that is also a well respected fan and collector....he will be able to provide you with a dash unit (and everything else - almost....not a top) at a reasonable cost if needed....you definitely would like to know the mileage I am sure. His name is Jim Finn and he can be contacted at jfinn@cpinternet.com

Also an on line factory service manual can be viewed at www.reatta.net under documentation.

Where are you (city/state) and the roadster located please?

Later,

nic

Guest TheChevyHDMan

What are good sites for reference. I need parts, the top doesnt work (electronically), and it needs a new top. Thats my starting point is finding, and buying a new top.

This is what I did today. Car was delivered at 10 am, Gave the guy 100 bucks, will give him the other when I get a title. Put new battery in. Car fired right up, I mean no smoke no nothing sounds identical to the 94 3.8 TPI in my moms old Pontiac Transport. Hit buttons CRD doesnt work, but the radio works, all hvac functions sound like they work. The dick that was going to scrap the car trashed the trunk, we spent an hr unbolting the latch to open the trunk without doing more damage. headlights dont open, most lights work, Windows up and down work, doors close nice. Power seats move pretty good, Its soaked in water.

If this Reatta addiction is as bad as my Duramax Diesel addiction I will be divorced before I am married.

Im getting too giddy, Check the pics maybe she is a POS

Bill

Guest weewilly

can not see pictures?? the tops are not that hard to find new. look at Ebay and other sites, you can get them for less than $600. The reattaguys have them. You do realise the top is not electric it has to be put down and up by hand, and it is a little complicated the 1st time but is not difficult after you have used it a few times. all operations of the top can be done by hand even the cover lift which is electronic but can be overridden by hand. you can get a trunk, and a hood from some donor car.

wish I had found this car 1st.

good luck

Guest TheChevyHDMan

Ladys and Gents.

I do not have a title yet, I am waiting on it. On that alone I really dont want to post pics here.

Actually the title is killing the whole car, and any prospect of it for me.

IP doesnt work, cant find real mileage. Tech 2 brought in....Us youngans arent used to Tech 1 ports, The car ran drove stopped spun tires on gravel driveway, did everything fine, its just dirty, unmaintained, and sitting in my driveway like it did for years before me. I ask why was this car so neglected every time I see it. Their is something off on this car. IT IS NOT STOLEN

IP says Error and OO, Key is sloppy in ignition, tried the suggestions told here on key issues. Hit the IP with hand no work. Test button lights up the whole IP. I have not pulled it to check connections or anything else.

Havent had time yet to Download 1990 Service Manual.

I might just coat her down with oil and store her in a barn for 20 years.

Ugggh

Bill