Best "treasure" you found at Hershey? The one you still need?

Shop Rat

For us it was a much sought after pair of correct NOS running boards for our 1939 Dodge. laugh.gif It had rained every day frown.gif and the man selling them had not put them out until Saturday after we finished judging because they still had most of the orginal cardboard box around them. We paid $680 for them and grinned like 'possums because we FINALLY found them.

Now if we could only come up with a correct shift knob for it. smile.gif

Back in the '80s we found a slightly mangled, but overall decent original *three digit* Connecticut porcelain EA ("Early American") license plate, #133, for sale in the Hershey flea market.

(top plate in the below image, which shows a few successive generations of Connecticut EA plates--note how the horseless carriage graphic gets smaller and smaller...the "50" tab is also technically incorrect since the EAs were not introduced until 1952...)

EAplates25.JPG

Several years later, we finally had a car at least somewhat old enough to display it on (our '50 VW Bug--which also happens to be green--hence our desire to use the "50" tab that's shown), and did a "vanity" plate request to the state, to obtain the legal "ownership" of that particular number EA, and happily received it.

It appears that #133 was also only the *33rd* EA plate ever issued by the state of Conneticut, since the first one appears to have been #100, ref: http://members.aol.com/saacregion/CTEAsHistImageA.jpg

I used to love to go to Hershey. Back in the late 70's I went with my younger brother and father. My brother and I were looking for N.O.S pieces for two '55 Buicks that we both had. He had a Century and I had a Special. It was like Christmas looking through boxes of N.O.S. Buick parts. We found many parts back then including the rarest, brand new tail light housings. They are non existent today.

We were leaving at the end of the Sunday and I spoted at a stand a brand new US Royal tire and rim from a '56 Buick, (same as '55). I bought it for $50.00. That piece looked so nice in my detailed trunk........Those were the good days.

At Hershey in the flea market in 1970 we bought a '47 Lincoln Continental Convertible in solid unrestored running condition for $1495. The next year we bought a '35 Auburn Phaeton for $3500. Still regret not buying a '29 Cadillac Dual Cowl Phaeton in unrestored but basically complete condition for $6000.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Restorer32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At Hershey in the flea market in 1970 we bought a '47 Lincoln Continental Convertible in solid unrestored running condition for $1495. The next year we bought a '35 Auburn Phaeton for $3500. Still regret not buying a '29 Cadillac Dual Cowl Phaeton in unrestored but basically complete condition for $6000. </div></div>

If you really want to get sick, look in an old Hemmings Motor News..... Nobody wanted late sixties muscle cars or 427 Corvettes.

Guest myfirstbuick

grin.gif Hello all,

Besides the nice pieces of original memorabilia, my greatest and most spectacular treasure was found on my second trip to Hershey, just two years ago. We arrived early the first day and were just starting to walk down the first row in the swap area when my girl friend, out of the corner of her eye, spotted IT - an original rear bumper for my 1940 chevrolet sedan delivery. Considering that only 800+ sedan deliveries were producted in 1940, I never thought I would find one. If my girl hadn't been so excited by the find, screaming "Neal, come hear, look at this!!" I may have been able to negotiate the price downward. But no such luck. mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif The seller knew he had me. frown.gif Oh well, it was worth it. wink.gif

Or... The ONE THAT GOT AWAY.

A vendor 3 rows away from my spot had NOS CHROME Air Horns for my 1965 Ford Cabover Truck. I waited till the end of the show to offer less, but he was done packed up and gone.

The field was moved to the parking lots the next year and I've been unable to locate him to this day frown.gif

Guest Debby Soucia

Still looking for handles for 1938 Chrysler Royal window and handles for a 1926-1927 Hupmobile doors. Also a 1927 Hupmobile horn button.

Looking for 1967 Rancharo parts also.

Best find: was two years ago we found a 6 volt bull horn to add a little fun to the Hupmobile. My hubby likes to add horns to every thing.