Well, This is a good way to make $ !

MarkV

I feel your pain. You have no idea how much of my web site has been plaigarized, stolen, referenced and copied to various places around the web. Virtually any 1941 Buick for sale on eBay has excerpts from my page, if not copied verbatim. I know that being on the web it can't be protected, but there are quite a few people who take the time to ask permission. I always say yes, and merely ask for a mention in return.

I've seen guys trying to sell articles they've torn out of magazines. Does anyone really buy that nonsense? I'd rather get a copy of the actual magazine--most publishers have an overstock that's available, usually for the same price as the stupid auction for a tear-out.

I think eBay initiated a policy some years back against selling torn out pages, although I'm sure they can't catch all of them. For years the automotive literature site was polluted with people selling torn out sections of Chilton/Motor manuals, and even I even saw a few Hollander manuals that had been so treated. I haven't seen a one in about 2 or 3 years now.

Guest Bluesky636

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave@Moon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think eBay initiated a policy some years back against selling torn out pages, although I'm sure they can't catch all of them. For years the automotive literature site was polluted with people selling torn out sections of Chilton/Motor manuals, and even I even saw a few Hollander manuals that had been so treated. I haven't seen a one in about 2 or 3 years now. </div></div>

I have purchased numerous articles on E-Bay that have been "extracted" from the original magazine. If that is all I want and am willing to pay for it, what is the big deal? I have an entire binder full of articles on 1964 Ford Galaxies that I use for reference. I would have removed the pages from the magazine myself. And no, publishers DO NOT keep a large stash of old magazines from years past, expecially from the 50s/60s/70s. The cost for storage would be ridulous. I have a copy of this article myself, which is currently on sale on E-Bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1964-FORD...sspagenameZWDVW

As far as the original poster goes, if he sold the article to the magazine and received some sort of compensation for it, he has no further claim. I see where no laws have been broken and no cause for complaint.

Now, stealing original material from someone's website, that is a different matter. If you have marked your site as "copywrite," whether you file the formal paperwork or not, you do have some legal recourse against anyone using material from your site. It would probably be very difficult to collect damages, however.

I did not 'sell' the article, as Hemmings works, they come and write the article on you, for free, which is fine by me. This was in Hemmings Classic Car in the Jan. 2008 issue. And yes they do keep a stash of hemmings books around. Now, of course magazines dont keep stuff from the 50's 60's and 70's as now many of the companies are defunct. But, it is funny to me how someone can tear out an article from January 2008, which is one that you can still order and get the entire magazine for the same price as what his starting price is. I could care less if the guy sells these, as Hemmings sold thousands, but, I just find it funny that an issue from Jan. 2008 and the article with me in it is being sold.

Guest Bluesky636

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1948Lincoln</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did not 'sell' the article, as Hemmings works, they come and write the article on you, for free, which is fine by me. This was in Hemmings Classic Car in the Jan. 2008 issue. And yes they do keep a stash of hemmings books around. Now, of course magazines dont keep stuff from the 50's 60's and 70's as now many of the companies are defunct. But, it is funny to me how someone can tear out an article from January 2008, which is one that you can still order and get the entire magazine for the same price as what his starting price is. I could care less if the guy sells these, as Hemmings sold thousands, but, I just find it funny that an issue from Jan. 2008 and the article with me in it is being sold. </div></div>

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

People will buy what other people will sell. Its called a free market. I bet I could sell yesterday's newspaper to someone who did not get it, has no source for it, and really wants it. cool.gif

Well said, there is good money to be made breaking up old magazines, and they don't have to be car related, Never thought much of the actress Meryl Streep, but the issue of TIME with her on the cover got me $18.75 plus Priority mail a while back. Pays to look in the magazine dumpster at the recycling center. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill_Haegele</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1948Lincoln</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did not 'sell' the article, as Hemmings works, they come and write the article on you, for free, which is fine by me. This was in Hemmings Classic Car in the Jan. 2008 issue. And yes they do keep a stash of hemmings books around. Now, of course magazines dont keep stuff from the 50's 60's and 70's as now many of the companies are defunct. But, it is funny to me how someone can tear out an article from January 2008, which is one that you can still order and get the entire magazine for the same price as what his starting price is. I could care less if the guy sells these, as Hemmings sold thousands, but, I just find it funny that an issue from Jan. 2008 and the article with me in it is being sold. </div></div>

People will buy what other people will sell. Its called a free market. I bet I could sell yesterday's newspaper to someone who did not get it, has no source for it, and really wants it. cool.gif </div></div>

Guest Bluesky636

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1937hd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well said, there is good money to be made breaking up old magazines, and they don't have to be car related, Never thought much of the actress Meryl Streep, but the issue of TIME with her on the cover got me $18.75 plus Priority mail a while back. Pays to look in the magazine dumpster at the recycling center. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill_Haegele</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1948Lincoln</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did not 'sell' the article, as Hemmings works, they come and write the article on you, for free, which is fine by me. This was in Hemmings Classic Car in the Jan. 2008 issue. And yes they do keep a stash of hemmings books around. Now, of course magazines dont keep stuff from the 50's 60's and 70's as now many of the companies are defunct. But, it is funny to me how someone can tear out an article from January 2008, which is one that you can still order and get the entire magazine for the same price as what his starting price is. I could care less if the guy sells these, as Hemmings sold thousands, but, I just find it funny that an issue from Jan. 2008 and the article with me in it is being sold. </div></div>

People will buy what other people will sell. Its called a free market. I bet I could sell yesterday's newspaper to someone who did not get it, has no source for it, and really wants it. cool.gif </div></div> </div></div>

Same thing goes with old cars. The sum of the price for each individual part often exceeds the price of the whole car. I bet not a person here has a problem with buying something from a car that has been parted out if they needed that part for their car. If they do have a problem, they are in the wrong hobby.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But Matt. The pages have been "gently removed." That's got to make it all worth the extra money, eh?</div></div>

Hey, some of those folks on evilBay are selling photocopies of magazine articles! Now they can make even more bucks with just one magazine.