Reatta insurance recommendations

Ernie Campbell

I am shopping for agreed value insurance for my 1990 Reatta convertible. I am finding a larger cost difference between firms than I expected. I would appreciate any experience that you could share.

In particular, does anyone have experience with American Collectors Insurance out of Cherry Hill, NJ? What about Hancock Classic vs. Hagerty?

I have not had much luck in searching the web for information to help me here and would appreciate any comments that you could offer before I make my decision in the next few days.

Thanks folks!

Guest alex_houston

I am using Haggerty for my '24 Dodge Brothers. They refused to insure my Reattas because they did not consider them collector cars.

Also, Haggerty would not insure me at all unless I had primary insurance on my "prime" vehicle from some other insurer.

Guest steakneggs

I had two of my Porsche 912s (since been sold) insured by American Collectors. The agreed value was $6K for one and $4K for the other. I was paying $69 a year (each) for full coverage! Had to report mileage (restricted to 2500 or less per year). Steak

Be sure to look at the usage restrictions. One company said the car couldn't be left unattended when it was out of my garage.

I asked them if I would be covered if I went into a resteraunt during an all-day club event when we stopped for lunch. They said.....NO!

Joe

Not a recommendation, as I never had a claim, but if your insurance is through Farmers, they do have a collectable division. I insured through them because they insured my primary vehicle, and Haggerty asked if I had a claim on a classic vehicle within 5 years. I had lost my Triumph in a fire, so had to go with Farmers. I had an agreed upon value on my 89 Coupe of $7500.00

Tom T

Guest C.F.Massie

Here are a few more you may try for collector/classic car insurance.

Condon & Skelly

(underwritten thru MetLife)

American Hobbyist

Gundy

(they have aggreed value with unlimited mileage available)

I have used Haggerty, Gundy and a few others over the years and found I can negotiate custom coverages better with Gundy.

Guest wayne2reattas

Is the Gundy you are talking about Van Gundy in Normal ,Ill. ? I have tried several companies to get an agreed value with no mileage restrictions and they all have told me no.

Guest re-reatta

I believe the name is Grundy. Also believe they have mileage limits. Let me know if you find a reasonable one without mileage limits.

Kevin

Guest C.F.Massie

Sorry for the typo it is <span style="text-decoration: underline">Grundy</span> and they are out of Horsham, PA. They do have unlimited mileage policies and it will depend on the vehicle usage, region of the country you drive and of course the premium you are willing to pay. I have found them very agreable to negotiating, depending on the vehicle.

www.grundy.com

yep i agree with Craig. Grundy has always been the best deal for me. Agreed value towing glass coverage no mileage limits no deductable. Just have to be kept in a locked garage and cannot be the primary car, not a problem cost is not bad

Haggerty could not match for me,said the Reatta was too new,cars had to be 25 yrs old and had mileage requirements. Dont know about cost.

I've tried all the major collector car insurers, including Grundy ( good quote ) BUT I keep having the same problem with all of them.... they want my daily driver cars to be newer than my Reatta. Mine are older and they will not insure me. Has anyone else run into this, and what did you do???

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

My, this is an old thread. I had Allstate for many years until they pulled out of Florida for homowner's insurance so dropped auto, now have Geico for daily drivers mainly because the cost for my RV was much lower than others so total policy was reasonable.

For cars over 20, I have had JC Taylor for a long time, right now have the Judge and two Reattas on that one. They do have to be kept in a locked garage and have other cars as DDs but no other real restrictions. If shopping I would check with Haggerty and Grundy.

No one ever questioned the age of my DDs just that I was not using the collector car for a DD.

Guest K_lo

Do most people have full coverage on their daily driver Reatta? I don't right now, but was considering it.

Do most people have full coverage on their daily driver Reatta? I don't right now, but was considering it.

I don't on my 89. Considering it on the convertible.

The '89, if wrecked would pay fit itself easily in parts. That's my insurance.

Here are a few more you may try for collector/classic car insurance.

Condon & Skelly

(underwritten thru MetLife)

American Hobbyist

Gundy

(they have aggreed value with unlimited mileage available)

I have used Haggerty, Gundy and a few others over the years and found I can negotiate custom coverages better with Gundy.

Not that it means much ,but Grundy was bought out by a Japanese Financial group. No more Lloyd's. Correct me if I am wrong.