Any Local Tours t in NC, SC, TN, GA or VA This Season?

carbdoc

I learned today that I have missed my opportunity to participate in the Founders Tour out of Easley, SC because I never received an Activity Request Card containing this event with my past two copies of Antique Automobile. Anybody else have this experience?

In any event, I am now looking for a local tour in the above geographical region in which to participate this late summer / autumn in which I might be allowed to participate with my '61 Chrysler.

Any leads?

Jeff Dreibus

Great Smoky Mountains Region

My only antique car is too old for the Founders tour. I have been trying to buy a newer antique car so that I could participate in more tours. Is it too late to register for the Founders Tour? I was hoping to soon have a car that was eligible for that one so that I could participate in it.

Oldcarfudd, I have already been thinking about that too, but it does not appear to be in the cards too soon. I think an early Brass Model T would be a nice addition to my fleet.

Jeff,

My Antique Automobile Magazine had the request card on the back

of the address label. They came two months apart and I sent it in both times! They politely told me I only needed to request the information once.

I understand that the information packages will all be sent out

at the same time about August 1 with a "Not Before Date" for submission.

This has worked well in the past and is fair to all. With

physical limits to the number of cars and people they can accomodate, I've heard this will be a small tour like the

2008 Sentimental Tour was.

I too, like tours in the Southeast and would love to get more smaller Regional ones organized. The 3 day format is quick

and easier to host. Does your local group want to show off

your area? If all the regions would just expand their local

tours or combine two or three of them and invite others, the additional tours could become a reality.

I've always thought that driving an antique car was the best part of the hobby. If I couldn't drive them, I'd collect Grandfather Clocks or stamps.

Paul Dobbin

Paul,

Our Great Smoky Mountain Region hosted the Southeast Divisional tour in 2004 and, yes, it was great!

I'm not upset that SC Region's tour got sold-out; in fact, I'm happy for them! I'm simply frustrated that I somehow missed the listing on the ARC both times -- and, believe me, I looked at it back, front, upside-down and every which way! Either I am going blind or crazy . . . and my wife would probably contend that the correct answer is "Both!"

I was really looking forward to touring this fall. I have nothing old enough for the Reliability Tour in Chattanooga – besides, I am certain that registration for it is closed, too -- so I guess I'll have to find another venue altogether.

Jeff Dreibus

Jeff,

The Brass-Nickel Touring Region has 3 more tours this year. These are, however, just one-day tours. They are -

<span style="font-weight: bold">August 9</span> - we will based in Roanoke Virginia and traveling the Blue Ridge Parkway, visiting the D-day memorial in Bedford VA, and stopping off at the Virginia Transportation Museum.

<span style="font-weight: bold">September 13</span>- we will be touring in Wilmington NC touring the movie and TV sets there and going to the Aquarium at Ft Fisher.

<span style="font-weight: bold">November 1</span>- we will be traveling to Carthage NC for the 3rd Annual Train and Tractor Show. The show will be featuring steam engines, gas tractors, hit & miss engines, antique cars and trucks, model engines and model trains. There will also be many activities at the show including a steam operated sawmill, a clapboard mill, thrashing, Z3 peerless pulling a 20 bottom plow, a Rumbly pulling a 12 bottom plow, Stanly Steamer car rides and a old time steam tractor pull. This is a huge private collection of steam engines and is only open to the public once a year.

The Brass-Nickel Touring Region is a non-geographical Region. The focus of our club is touring - no shows - and cars made prior to 1931. It is not mandatory that you own a pre-1931 car. We have several members that own cars in the 1950s. All of our tours are open to any AACA member that would like to tour with us. However, please note all of our tours are set to Model T speed.

If you like any information on these tours, I can send you a newsletter. You can email be at the Region mailbox: brassnickel@gmail.com.

Judy

Thanks for the gracious offer, Judy. My Chrysler and I have no problem with T-Model speeds.

My wife, Dawn (editor of GSMR's "The High Beam"), with whom you exchange newsletters probably has your current edition already -- and a beautiful publication it is. I will discuss the options with her and contact you if we decide to participate in one of BNTR's excellent tours.

Thanks again.

Jeff Dreibus