ethanal gas and cork

mikzjr@aol.com

The problem I found was that the ethanol ate the shellac sealer from my carb float. I asssume that it would do the same to a sender float. I made myself a brass float and solved my problem in about two hours.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mikzjr@aol.com</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jon the float has never been in gas, but it has been coated with shellac will the por-15 still adhere on the shellac coated cork </div></div>

I don't know. Have never tried that. Do know one can have problems with cork which has been in gasoline.

Jon.

In Harold Sharon's book "Knowing you Brass Car" he used Krazy Glue to glue several wine corks together to make replacement corks as it is uneffected by gasoline or alcohol.

I took it one step further and used it to coat the new corks I have made as well as old usable corks.

It is redily available at any hardware store, and can easily be applied to encapsulate the whole cork as well as all the attachment points for the brass hardware.

If you're really worried about the shellac I would get rid of it first. Shellac is made from a certain bug and dissolves very easily in denatured alcahol. Soak it for a few minutes in the denatured alcahol. The shellac will dissolve very easy. Then rinse it again in another clean bath of the alcahol, let it thoroughly dry, (few days maybe)then coat it with the appropriate POR product. It should be fine.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's my understanding the corks will eventually sink in today's ethonal gas?? Is this correct? I do know that the old corks were coated in shellac which will dissolve in alcohol. In a sense, isn't ethonal a form of alcohol?? If it was me I would remove the shellac and coat with the proper POR product to be on the safe side.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bob Call

Yes, ethanol is ethel alcohol. Ethel alcohol is made from plant material, it is whiskey or grain alcohol (moonshine). That which used for anything other than whiskey has additives making it undrinkable (isopropyl and denatured). Methanol is methel alcohol and is made from hydrocarbon feed stock usually natural gas (methane)and it is poisonous!

Both these forms of alcohol are highly corrosive and wreak havock on the fuel systems of cars not designed to use them as fuel.