pin stripe choices, choices choices on 34 Packard

34PackardRoadsta

Dear All,

I know this is a personal preference thing, but I am having a hard time deciding. Perhaps y'all can help. If you go to the following site:

http://picasaweb.google.com/odyssey.restorations/1934PackardBodyRestoration

Scroll down and look at the last series of picts. They show the car with either a gold or green stripe. I like them both, but for different reasons. Obviously, I need to pick one!

These are test stripes, so don't be critical of thickness, placement, etc. But any thoughts on color would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Guest imported_Speedster

How about 2 parallel stripes, one green and one gold ??? laugh.gif LOL

I like them both also, but if we can only do one, I suppose I'll have to vote for Gold, since it gives more of a Classy look.

Guest imported_Speedster

Hey, I LIKE copper fuel lines. laugh.gif

Much better than the rusted out steel lines that were used originally.

Stainless-steel is good but too difficult to work with, when doing flair-fittings.

I must have missed that Argument (oops Debate), somehow ??? shocked.gif

Dear All,

Thanks for the comments. I am glad y'all like the car. It is a very special car, as it belonged to my mother.

As for the type of fuel line, Tom uses copper, but I am not sure why. I will ask him about it. On my 30, I am using aluminum line that I got from a racing shop.

The shine on the car should have been there when new, as Packard was using DuPont nitro-cellulose lacquer by the late 20s. The car is repainted with modern urethane. I don't know the details. Next time I talk to Tom R. I will ask him about it.

I am still torn about the color, but am leaning more towards gold as I sit and think about it. The gold really ties the top in nicely to the rest of the car. Besides, lots of folks are red-green colorblind; something I did not think of before! Thanks Tom for that tidbit.

Tom

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Speedster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey, I LIKE copper fuel lines. laugh.gif

Much better than the rusted out steel lines that were used originally.

Stainless-steel is good but too difficult to work with, when doing flair-fittings.

I must have missed that Argument (oops Debate), somehow ??? shocked.gif </div></div>

I also used steel which are now being plated as original (though I'm using chrome and not nickle plating as would be even more correct. Copper would had been easier but everyone including not on this forum warn against using copper. I only left one copper line and that was the manifold to the fire wall. I got frustrated trying to bend the loop so I just kept the line I had which was copper and will have it plated. All of the pictures I seen of the pre war Packard, I would say over 50% have copper fuel lines. And here's a modern restoration shop using copper.

I do like to call them debates also smile.gif

I'm partial to not quite so contrasting colors. It breaks up the smooth, clean lines (getting back to pin striping, here) too much. I've seen lighter (or darker) shades of body color used, and it really looks sharp (understated elegance, I've always called it).

In your pictures, the green stripes look florescent to me, and I don't care for that. So given the choice between florescent green and gold, I'd go for the gold. But, and you know my feelings on this, KEEP 'EM THIN. With two pair of stripes converging on each other, that could turn out to be a buzzy mess if they're wide.

I agree with Wes. Only two rules when it comes to striping. Thin thin thin and Less is more. My opinion, two pair of stripes is one pair too many. Your car is elegant. I would likely go with a very subtle lighter shade of body color. If the stripes are invisible from 30 feet away they're about right, again in my humble opinion. But then again, many Packards of the early '30s did have lots of striping, even around sedan windows and along fender beads in some cases. I documented a 900 sedan with what I considered way too much original striping.

Interesting question and great photos.

This caused me to have a look at my 34 sedan and to dig out the original paperwork. Not particularly relevant but may be of interest.

On a sheet entitled "Factory invoice no. E", it indicates paint scheme F. under that is typed "standard black chassis parts", then it lists the items that were to be striped:

radiator shell

radiator shutters

roof and door jambs

body above moulding

window reveals

cowl and bonnet above moulding

body and bonnet below moulding

wheels (wire)

body and bonnet moulding

body base moulding

below those locations is the word stripe, after which is the phrase "standard position and size".

the paper goes on to call out the Packard Accessories that were fitted to the car.

I should note that this car was delivered with a chrome-plated radiator shell and painted shutters so the reference above calling for striping on the shell and shutters may be an either/or deal (or both), depending on the plate/paint scheme of a particular car. This is inference on my part.

Casting my vote, I like the gree/green. Echoing earlier posts, thin is your friend.

Just to reiterate, the striping you have seen was just for color, and will not reflect the quality of the stripe when he does it for real. The striping John does is very very thin, and definitely not visible beyond about 30 feet regardless of color. With the green, it apparently will blend in at much shorter distances.

John, I like the color scheme on that car smile.gif. But, of course, that is a twelve, and mine is a super eight...not sure they did grey on grey for the super-eights.

Bill, thanks tons for the info from your invoice. Having docs like that is just too dang cool.

Just so that the info is easy to find, I am going to start another post about copper fuel lines. The others I have found were buried in multi-topic posts like this, and hard to locate. If you have comments on that issue, please post them!

Tom

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrpushbutton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about a creamy/buttery yellow for a stripe color? I have seen that on a lot of Packards.

Boy, I like green Packards, you sure have a nice car there! </div></div>

I love green too but I'm stuck with "Grey Poupon" smile.gif

Well, we have made a decision...sort of. We are going to put green on one side and gold on the other and see what is what. OK, not the whole car, but probably the rear tub up to the doors.

Thanks tons for all of your comments. I will post picts when the results are in.

As for the extra $100, I just don't feel it is currently worth the expense smile.gif .

Cheers,

Tom

Once when I was in a market in a house, I saw a kitchen that had a mix of two different color cabinets. One light and one dark color. Turns out the husband and wife could not agree on the cabinet colors. It did not look good. I hope your car ends up better than that smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tbirdman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Of course you can always take the out that a lot of Packard owners do and that for $100 for a new Packard you could have any paint job you wanted.

However I echo the striping close to the body color however either will look sharp. </div></div>

.......And that old saw is used to justify painting the car in whatever the "hue du jour" is, Purple (very popular in the northeast) Mary Kay pink, as was the case here in the Motor City some years ago. I have the upmost respect for those like our original poster here who put the car back to the colors it came in. Those particular shades really speak of their era in a way that "auction action red" does not, nor any other flight of passing fancy.

EXACTLY!

That's why I prefer cars without extra lights, white sidewall tires, bright colors, side mounts, etc. Your words hit on exactly why I like my car to look like the last place it's heading is to an auction where the pretty colors and gee-gaws are needed for the little woman to say, "Oh, honey, please by me that pretty little thang!" sick.gif

I was at one of the Harrah auctions, and I swear to God, that's exactly what the "little woman" said to the man she was with. She had no clue as to what the car was, or it's value, and neither did the guy.

Thanks, John!

But West, my car has sidewalls AND sidemounts, and always has (the original spares, though completely deteriorated, had white sidewalls).

I understand the desire to not dress up a car with extra chrome goodies for the sake of chrome goodies. But, some of the flash on these cars was original.

For example, I understand that sidewall tires were somewhat rare in 34. But in perusing the Detroit library collection, and doing a search for '1934 Packard' I counted 30 of the 76 cars (40%) as having white sidewalls. Now, some of the vehicles were commercial, and some may be duplicates, but that is close. So, why do you object so strongly to white sidewalls if even Packard seemed to like them enough to keep photos of cars so equipped?

I am not trying to pick a fight or anything. I am honestly curious and looking for info from folks that are FAR more knowledgeable than I about old cars.

Thanks,

Tom

Only my own personal preference... I like the plain-jane look and hate glitz. The lines of the car can get all broken up with two-ton paint jobs, driving lights, spot lights, extra mirrors, trunks, etc, etc., etc. I like the original sleek lines to be as bold as they can be.

Actually, I only dislike sidemounts on the cars from 1938 on. Your car actually looks better WITH sidemounts, and because you have a monochromatic paint job with dark wheels, white sidewall tires are okay in my book.

I admire you for asking for opinions on such a valuable car (more people should). I don't think you should do what I (or anyone else) want you to do. When I make opinions, or respond when asked, I'm only stating what I would like to see IF IT WERE MY CAR.

Having to make such critical decisions is not easy. I once bought a multi-thousand dollar custom-made model car (Mercedes-Benz special roadster) and had the opportunity to order it exactly the way I wanted. It was both exciting and nerve-wracking. I'm sure the pressure to get it right must be 100-fold on the full-size car.

(The model ended up being bigger than any shelf in my then small house and was kept in a box. I finally said f@@@ that, sold it and bought a full-size Porsche 356 cabriolet. smile.gif ).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tbirdman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I love green too but I'm stuck with "Grey Poupon" smile.gif </div></div>

TBirdman--you have a wonderful period color that speaks perfectly of the early 30s, and the understated grace of Packard in those years. I wouldn't change a thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrpushbutton</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tbirdman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I love green too but I'm stuck with "Grey Poupon" smile.gif </div></div>

TBirdman--you have a wonderful period color that speaks perfectly of the early 30s, and the understated grace of Packard in those years. I wouldn't change a thing. </div></div>

I know, I've been told that many time and surprisingly to me a lot of people also feel that way. I do every so often listen to the occasional overheard conversation people and hear "nice car, but not my favorite color" but those do seem to be on the minority.

I do agree that the pink or violet colors don't go well with these car. However the one added benefit is that this color hides dirt real well smile.gif

I do not understand the auction reports that sometimes state that the car has dated colors. I would think if a car was painted original era colors, how could they ever be dated. And if the car was not, again how could they be dated colors?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When they say dated colors, usually that means a color that was incorrect when restored, and was something selected because it may have been in style at the time. In other words, the colors "date" it to the time in which it was restored.

By-the-by, did Ken and Tom get together on that coil? </div></div>

Yes we did. Unfortunately after we came to an agreement for a sale, I could not find the contactor on the bottom side of the switch. So we have postpone the sale until I can clean up my parts area in hope of finding it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">EXACTLY!

That's why I prefer cars without extra lights, white sidewall tires, bright colors, side mounts, etc. Your words hit on exactly why I like my car to look like the last place it's heading is to an auction where the pretty colors and gee-gaws are needed for the little woman to say, "Oh, honey, please by me that pretty little thang!" sick.gif

I was at one of the Harrah auctions, and I swear to God, that's exactly what the "little woman" said to the man she was with. She had no clue as to what the car was, or it's value, and neither did the guy.

Thanks, John! </div></div>

I think West just like to be outshined by the car he's driving:-) Though initially I thought I'd would only like whitewalls onmy 32 roadster, I have come to appreciate what blackwalls would do for the appearance of the car.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only my own personal preference... I like the plain-jane look and hate glitz. </div></div>

Makes sense, having grown up in MN smile.gif .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually, I only dislike sidemounts on the cars from 1938 on. Your car actually looks better WITH sidemounts, and because you have a monochromatic paint job with dark wheels, white sidewall tires are okay in my book.</div></div>

I agree that on a solid colored car the sidewalls are OK. I think it makes the car a little less formidable, a little more approachable, if you will.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I admire you for asking for opinions on such a valuable car (more people should). I don't think you should do what I (or anyone else) want you to do. When I make opinions, or respond when asked, I'm only stating what I would like to see IF IT WERE MY CAR. </div></div>

I understand completely. But, I really appreciate the opinions expressed. I am not new, but also not terribly experienced when it comes to old cars (this car has been in my family for 50 years!). I like to get as much info as possible before making either irreversible or expensively reversible choices.

<span style="font-size: 8pt">Note: final color choice is my decision, and does not indicate that I am ignoring comments or not appreciating the wisdom and knowledge gained after many years of skinned knuckles and empty pocket books. Any mistakes I make are my own and do not reflect the quality of commentary here. Finally, taking this message board before bed may cause headaches, dizziness, vertigo or blindness; do not read this message board if reading other message boards without contacting your physician. If you experience any symptoms of anything please contact your physician. The AACA Packard board is not for everyone. Please ask your physician if it is right for you.</span>

Guest imported_Speedster

<span style="color: #FFCC66"> <span style="font-family: 'Arial Black'"> <span style="font-size: 17pt"> 'Go For the Gold' </span> </span> laugh.gif </span>