Transmission anomoly

dnt

Two symptoms, and they may be totally unrelated.

1. Occassionally when I stop at a traffic signal, the car acts as if it were in neutral when I go to start-off and then a few seconds later the transmission engages.

2. Shifting seems smooth. When at speed on the expressway, if I DECREASE power VERY SLIGHTLY the car will downshift, if I increase power, the car UPSHIFTS into overdrive. Seems to be the opposite of normal. Thus, with VERY slight power adjustments, it will go back and forth from drive to overdrive.

The transmission fluid level has been tested with the car hot on level ground and the level is correct. The fluid was flushed about 10K miles ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D-a-n-i-e-l</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how is your speedometer reading? does it seem slow or unsteady at times?

</div></div>

No, not really, you just see a slight shift in RPM's as it switches back and forth from drive to over-drive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CHAS1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try Seafoam TRANSMISSION Conditioner after you try all other options to correct mechanical problems. I did on my 1989 Riviera and it worked.

charlie </div></div>

I have a can sitting here and am awaiting the return of my siphon so I can take a pint of fluid out before putting in the Seafoam. Did not want to overfill.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CHAS1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let us know if it works ?

Good Luck

Charlie </div></div>

I siphoned out a pint of trans fluid today and poured in the stuff...I will keep you posted. I wonder how long it takes this miracle liquid to rebuild my transmission. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

i love "miracle liquids" they rarely actually do something, but we'll all swear that they do. i use seafoam and lucas all the time, and nothing ever breaks or runs worse afterward, so it sure makes me feel good. we should call it placebo oil additive.

i know they're all precautionary, and they do real things to lubrication and cleaning, but it always makes me laugh when i buy some.

Don't you love it when someone has a problem they can't wait to get an answer to and........ then you never hear from them again...

Did the get killed in their Reatta?

Did the suggestions work?

Did they just use us because they were too cheap to go to a mechanic?

10 days and no feedback.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barney Eaton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't you love it when someone has a problem they can't wait to get an answer to and........ then you never hear from them again...

Did the get killed in their Reatta?

Did the suggestions work?

Did they just use us because they were too cheap to go to a mechanic?

10 days and no feedback. </div></div>

Barney, I couldn't agree with you more. I read practically every post on this forum and try to help out when I can. It is very frustrating when someone starts a post, especially one that potentially could help others, and it either gets dropped without an outcome or someone says PM me and I will see if I can help you out and that is the end of the thread. I hate it when that happens.

Also, I love it when someone new to the forum asks for help and are given good, sound, advice based on past experience and they come back and try to explain why the advice is wrong. Makes me wonder why if they know so much, they asked for help in the first place.

Makes no sense to me...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barney Eaton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't you love it when someone has a problem they can't wait to get an answer to and........

10 days and no feedback. </div></div>

Hi Barney, my preliminary report is that I do think the transmission is running better, but ten days is a bit early for a difinitive opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest waxbgone

I had the same sort of problem with my transmission first thing in the morning. It would not engage in reverse or forward for several seconds. Then it got to be several minutes. I read this thread, got some seafoam, put in 1/2 pint, drove 25 miles, and the problem was gone! It has not happened in a week, and I don't think it will return. It is wonderful to find some "Snake oil" that actually works! I am sure it was gum buildup on valves or accumulators causing the delays and hesitations, and Seafoam has a solvent for them. It makes sense logically, and really works!