Packard Forum Activity

Guest BJM

I've noticed the Packard forum has lost a lot of it's historical posts, general interest subjects, and some of the more prolific and interesting posters.

I used to come in everyday to see the interesting subjects and discussions. Anything going on? Where did everyone go?

Guest imported_Speedster

Yes, an Admin made a mistake when deleting some post, that was requested by one of the users, and accidently deleted 'Way Too Much'. It was 'Heart Breaking', for some of us, who had put so much time and effort in those threads.

Dave,

That's a nice website and I had heard about it's formation a while back. This forum provides "one stop" shopping. It's not that there haven't been worthwhile topics recently here - there have - but it's the VOLUME of topics and the ability to make this stop number 2 after my BCA hits.

I love Packard and more so - Packard history, as I do not own one.

Well, I am more a fan of the post war Packard. I know of a 49 Custom 8 with 356 I like, 4 door. But my interests are so varied I just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I was in a rough 56 400 project. The seller, an old car project seller close by me actually, wanted $2500 for it 4 years ago. It needed a lot and had the obligatory floor shifter instead of pushbutton.

I'm still looking.

Hi there group. Would any one here know if I have a genuine Packard trunk? I thought that was what it was when my elderly friend gave it to me years ago. She said it came off her mother's Packard car. She stored sewing supplies in it. It's leather bound and in pretty good condition, I feel. However, I've put it up for sale in a national Packard newspaper and those who have answered the ad have said it is too big to fit a Packard car (18" high, 21" deep, 40" long). I'm puzzled now. Can anyone help me? I wanted the money to be a donation to the Packard Museum in California.

Guest imported_Speedster

If the 40" length includes the handles on ends then it may fit some Packard Trunk racks, but if that's the length of the base then it's about an inch too long to fit even the larger type trunk rack, like used on the larger models.

Most models used a trunk about 36" long at base.

Is there a manufacturer logo or badge on it anywhere?

The older fabric covered ones with leather on corners, sold by Packard, had a small logo plate riveted to them with the Packard name on it. But they could be purchased then from aftermarket sources as well from Packard.

Pictures would help, in determining what it is, if you could download some?

If this is an attempt to find a buyer, then it should be added to Packard-Buy/sell section of this Forum.

Thanks for your reply Restorer32. This is what I've mostly received from others in the Packard realm. Maybe it's not Packard at all. It is definitely vintage. And it's definitely from an old vehicle. So I'm assuming the process of elimination at this point. Someone out there surely has a vehicle that needs this accessory.

I would appreciate your comments on the three photos I've posted. Thanks in advance.

Guest imported_Speedster

The (K) logo tells me that it was made by the same Company that made Packard trunks, but I don't think any Packard trunks had the extra strap belt loops, on top and lid. Since there are no handles on ends, that tells me the 40" length is too long for a Packard trunk. It would have to be for a Very large car.

My guess would be a '20s Cadillac. I know Caddy trunks had straps like that. I couldn't find pics of flat top trunk on a Caddy but here's one of a '31 with round top trunk and straps, but these are imitation chrome straps, only the older models had Real leather straps:

post-33516-143137956491_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Randy_G

Sad alot of the ole guys have moved on, I come by ever now and then to see who is still helping the new faces out with answers to questions about one of the most beautiful cars to ever roll down an assembly line. Hope all is well...