1938 chrysler royal 2dr sedan

spartain

I thought somebody was pulling your leg until I looked it up. If you have the Royal Brougham which is a two door sedan with the fastback style, meaning from the roof down the rear to the back bumper it has a smooth line, then you do have a rare car. They only made 88 of them and chances are there aren't many left. If you have the Traveler Brougham which is also a two door but has a "bustle" back trunk then it's not nearly as rare with 3,802 made. The 1938 Royal is Series C-18 with a 119 inch wheelbase and a 95 horsepower, 241.5 cubic inch, 6 cyl engine. Weight was 3160 lbs. It doesn't weigh much so it should be peppy. Join the Chrysler club if you want more info. Look for sales and service catalog on ebay. Make sure it's for the C-18.

bubba

Thanks bubba I was also told that these 38s were sent to germany when they got there they didnt want them because they were two doors most of them were distroyed this is the only serviver. I know it sounds like bs but i cant find another one like it its a humpback thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
Those are some very interesting pictures of all three.... mine has the hump but clearly doesn't look like that. They do look pretty cool tho.

Artists had a way of making the cars look longer and lower in the artwork.

Chrysler had an excellent stylist, Ray Dietrich but he was under the thumb of engineering. He handed over his designs to the engineering department, and they translated them into metal, with no further input from styling. The result was always frumpier than the original design. You can see it if you compare photos of the clay models to the finished cars. I don't know how they did it, to the eye you can't pick out the difference but somehow they ruined the looks of the cars.

At GM it was the opposite, styling had the upper hand and engineering had to build the cars as best they could. If looks interfered with function, too bad for function.

Chrysler had an excellent stylist, Ray Dietrich but he was under the thumb of engineering. He handed over his designs to the engineering department, and they translated them into metal, with no further input from styling. The result was always frumpier than the original design. You can see it if you compare photos of the clay models to the finished cars. I don't know how they did it, to the eye you can't pick out the difference but somehow they ruined the looks of the cars.

At GM it was the opposite, styling had the upper hand and engineering had to build the cars as best they could. If looks interfered with function, too bad for function.

I have to say the pictures make it look much sleeker than the car is. And the skirts look awesome! Wonder if they actually put them on the cars in 38

Having seen what 1938 Chryslers actually look like, I would have punched a salesman in the face if I ordered that burgundy car solely based on that illustration and had an actual 1938 Chrysler show up instead. How the heck could they get away with that?!? It's not even CLOSE!