Peerless Photos

jeff_a

A picture of a 5-Passenger 1924 Peerless Town Brougham:

Screenshot 2020-02-07 at 10.24.15 AM.png                                                                                                                                                                                                     ............Available at your San Francisco Peerless Dealer, W.O. Harrison, for $3,895 + shipping., tax & accessories.

$4,250 in 1925. Dealer photo taken at Golden Gate Park.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent photo of the little-known 1917 Peerless Mod. 56 factory Sporting Roadster at the Cleveland Auto Show. $2,250 with wire wheels. 4-barrel carburetor, dual exhaust, 80 HP V-8. Quite the bargain compared to the $3,590 Limousine behind it. if you don't mind the wind in your hair!

Image result for 1916 Peerless v-8

Quote:

"Excellent photo of the little-known 1917 Peerless Mod. 56 factory Sporting Roadster at the Cleveland Auto Show. $2,250 with wire wheels. 4-barrel carburetor, dual exhaust, 80 HP V-8. Quite the bargain compared to the $3,590 Limousine behind it. if you don't mind the wind in your hair!"

4-barrel carburetor in 1917????? Anyone have a picture?

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anybody ever seen this car?
2000_LAX_09466_0041_000(013629).jpg

1909 Peerless Model 25 _ _ _ _ _ _ Photo from Christie's Pebble Beach Auction Catalog in August, 2000

I had forgotten about this beautiful brass car & thought it might be Don & Sue Eller's 1909 Model 25. They are very similar Peerlesses, but I don't know if they are the same car or not. By some miracle -- the Christie's listing is still on the infobahn. Annotated herein:  

"Formerly of the Richard Paine Collection
1909 PEERLESS FOUR PASSENGER RACEABOUT
Chassis No. 2537
Engine No. 60679
Light green body, fenders and running gear with black pinstriping and moldings and tufted black leather interior
Engine: Oldsmobile six cylinder cast in pairs, T-head, 505ci., 60hp; Gearbox: H-pattern four-speed manual; Suspension: front and rear, semi-elliptic leaf springs; Brakes: two wheel rear brakes. Right hand drive.

This powerful four-passenger roadster is capable of driving at today's highway speeds and could likely bring the needle on the 60-mph speedometer to the end of its arc. It is recorded as joining the Browning Collection in 1985 as it was directly purchased from the Richard Paine Collection. It carries correct Rushmore Searchlight headlamps and a period accessory Gray & Davis spotlight numbered 867 as well as E&J sidelamps. The engine is believed to be from a six cylinder Oldsmobile, perhaps a 1909 Model Z. However, this has yet to be confirmed at the time of writing this description and we encourage any interested parties to contact a member of the staff for further information. In addition we recommend visual inspection of this car as it has been modified from its original form. The Peerless is in overall presentable condition, however the front fender appears slightly damaged. The bodywork on the Peerless appears to be of newer construction. The wheelbase measures 136 inches indicating that it most likely started life as a 1909 Model 25 which is catalogued as possessing the same wheelbase as the Peerless, and as providing enough hood space to house a six cylinder engine. The engine currently fitted appears to be larger than the track of the chassis would naturally provide for and as a result the top section of each chassis rail has been altered to accommodate this formidable six cylinder engine.
This motor car would make an excellent 'Brass and Gas' tour candidate thanks to its combination of a high performance engine coupled to light bodywork. It would be welcome at all tours and events of the Horseless Carriage Club of America as well as at activities of other major national antique auto clubs."

P.S.: The Olds motor reported in this car, though large, is smaller than the original motor, described as 4.875" & 5.5" B&S, according to The Automobile, Vol 18, Issue 27, pg. 89. That produces 615.96 (or 616 Cu. In.)/10.094 L for this 50 taxable h.p. engine.

This would be a swell limousine to pick your debutante up with for the Cotillion in 1912, though I can't imagine a heavier car. A custom-bodied "60-Six" with an 825 cubic inch T-head engine. I wish I knew who made the body. Peerless bodies have been attributed to these 48 coachbuilders: 
Austin..............S.S. Albright.......Bela Body(MA).......Biddle & Smart......Brewster............Brooks-Ostruk.......Brown...............Budd................Brunn...............

Croall & Croall.....James Cunningham....De Ley(Holland).....A.T. Demarest.......J. J. Derham........Fisher..............Gotfredson..........Gustafason..........

Hayes Body Corp.....Holcker Manu. Co....Hume Body Corp...........Humer-Binder Co.....Judkins.............C.P. Kimball........Theodore Kundtz.....Lang Body Co........

Leahy Coach Works...LeBaron.............Meritas Body Corp...Merrimac Body Co....A.J. Miller.........Moore & Munger........Motor Coach Works...Mullins.............

Walter M. Murphy....Murray......Peerless Body.......Pullman..............Quinby..............Raulang.............Rollston............Rubay Company.......C.T. Silver.........Springfield.........

W.F. Stewart Co.....Walker-LaGrande.....Weymann.............Willoughby Coach....and C.R. Wilson.
Picture 1 of 2

Screenshot 2020-09-30 at 9.25.58 AM.png

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's a beautiful image of a circa 1919 Peerless 7-Pass. Victoria available from fineartamerica.com for $64. One of these in fine restored condition exists in California. It is painted in Peerless Lake....which is approximately Magenta. Peerless Motor Car Club President Richard Lichtfeld looked at this photo a few years ago and commented that:

• It is in a field full of identical cars.
  • They do not appear to be catalogue models.
  • Possibly a product of the shops Peerless had in Boston and New York, which could produce custom bodies to order.

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/woman-sitting-in-a-peerless-car-bettmann.html

• 6 months later...

An ad promoting the new 1923 Peerless Model 66 appearing in the December, 1922 Saturday Evening Post. After seven years of Model 56 V-8 motorcars, the 66 was built for two years, followed by the Eight-67 and Eight-69 up into 1928.

Screenshot 2021-06-08 at 9.08.36 PM.png

• 5 weeks later...

A photo of a 1929 Peerless Model 8-125 used as a radio-equipped patrol car in Cleveland:

Cleveland Police Museum photo of Sgt. Carl Fix, Henry Spilker & Frank Hejna, standing.

138" w.b./114 HP Straight Eight.

More HP than these in 1929:

• Buick...........Ford........Chrysler........Marmon
  • Cadillac.......Lincoln...DeSoto
  • Chevrolet...................Plymouth
  • LaSalle
  • Marquette
  • Oakland
  • Oldsmobile
  • Pontiac
  • Viking

1990029006-Peerless-Model-125-Straight-8-Cleveland-Police-Radio-Equipped-Patrol-Car.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The 4-Passenger Opera Brougham, $4090. Of the nine factory body styles, it was the leading seller in early 1923. Quite the car -- too bad none are still around. I wouldn't mind having one: dual exhaust, 70 HP, 332 cubic inch V-8, elegant lines, chauffeur-driven luxury, and performance.  In the Peerless V-8's last year, 1928, 100 mph speedometers were added....giving a hint at what you could get out of one of these motorcars. I wonder if there's a divider window that goes up and down? Maybe just a speaking tube or intercom.

s-l640.jpg

Edited by jeff_a
....larger photo.... (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The first year for the Peerless Six-80, a nice example shown here in a Bonhams auction photo from 2016. I presume this one has a new owner, after longtime U.K. owner Ron Wanmer _ _ _ previous owners were Stan Reynolds of Wetaskiwin, Alberta and Bill Harrah of Reno, Nevada.

1927 Peerless 3.7-Litre Six-80 Taxicab  Chassis no. A36/032

One of only 3 known surviving 1909 Peerlesses will be for sale at the Hershey Auction, the former E. Stanley Cope, M.D. Model 19 7-Passenger Touring Car. Les Holden from North Carolina has been the owner for some time since Dr. Cope's tenure.

For those interested in the business of antique cars...RM Sothebys estimates $100,000-150,000.

b25a56d0-e76a-49d9-9dcc-0304e569dd61.jpg...

1909 Peerless Model 19 Touring  - $

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/15/2020 at 2:55 PM, jeff_a said:

Excellent photo of the little-known 1917 Peerless Mod. 56 factory Sporting Roadster at the Cleveland Auto Show. $2,250 with wire wheels. 4-barrel carburetor, dual exhaust, 80 HP V-8. Quite the bargain compared to the $3,590 Limousine behind it. if you don't mind the wind in your hair!

Image result for 1916 Peerless v-8

This looks to be one of the cars that C.T. Silver built in New York. What do you think, Jeff?

West, I don't know about either. The Sporting Roadster was a catalog model with pretty complex rear body lines, Unknown to me where built, 49 coachbuilding shops to choose from that I know of. I have a fold-out 4-page catalog for one of these Roadsters from the company.

The late Richard Lichtfeld, uber-knowledgeable about all things Peerless, knew the Boston Distributor had in-house coachbuilding and thought it was a good possibility the 2nd car(maybe a 1919 Mod. 56 Victoria) came out of there(not a catalogue car). Do you see some details that lean toward C.T. Silver? I have a lead on a chap who may have one of the Sporting Roadsters & have talked to the owner of the car similar to the one in the 2nd photo in Sacramento.

Notice the resemblance of the Victoria to the doppelganger Mod. 29 Victoria Landaus that survive(1910 Doris Duke/James Melton provenance, and 1911 in the Henry Ford --- both with Brewster bodies).

• 3 weeks later...

.....................This card is for sale on E-Bay right now......................

The most elaborate, coach-built-bodied, expensive Peerless I have ever seen a picture of.

The price mentioned in the text is three, four or five grand short -- but may reflect the difference between the American & Australian dollars. Not a catalog car. 13.5 l/825 Cubic Inch engine.

product image

product image

1 hour ago, jeff_a said:

......The price mentioned in the text is three, four or five grand short -- but may reflect the difference between the American & Australian dollars. 

Jeff,

Depends when the cards were produced, price quoted probably would be US Dollars. Australia currency, for a long time was still in Pounds ala the UK. Changed from Pounds to Aussie Dollars in 1966.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the great photo Steve. Sent you a PM. I'm thinking it may instead be the Six-80 Roadster Coupe that came from Brian Coffee in the Buckeye State...I sent you a message last year regarding someone else's Six-90 Roadster, a 70 or 80 HP boattail w/ an aluminum crankcase{engine built by Peerless, designed by Cadillac} , instead of a 63 HP one built by Continental w/ an iron crankcase.

I talked to Steve on the phone, and it's one of two Peerless Six-90 boattail coupes in the world, not a Six-80. The black primer in this photo for some reason looked like the '28 Six-80 when it was taken down to bare metal, with it taken at this angle, which also has a rebuilt engine similar in color. Mr. Coffee from Dayton sold a 1928 Six-80 fairly recently to Barry Lowe.

Don't know why I didn't notice the radically different roof visor, cowl light location and engine (manifolds on r.s. here....on l.s. on a '28 6-80 Boat Tail). Must be because I was on vacation at a ski resort somewhere and didn't have time to examine the photo as I normally would. Yeah...and the high altitude!

Quaint old ad mentioning the 1904 Limousine that made it to St. Louis on the 1904 Pre-Glidden Tour. Peerless was the first to offer enclosed cars from the factory about this time, and it would have been one of the more civilized autos on this reliability run.

I remember reading about the trip and it was no cakewalk or yellow brick road. One newspaper report said the last portion was a mudbath and called the roads "prehistoric".

Image 1 - 1904 OLD MAGAZINE PRINT AD, PEERLESS MOTOR CAR CO, THE CAR OF ACHEIVEMENT!

• 3 weeks later...

In a Skagit-Snohomish HCCA Region Newsletter, there appear to have been two Peerlesses, a 1912 60-Six Touring Car (from the restorer's rather recently), and a 1913 48-Six Roadster. They were on a Pathfinders National Parks Tour in 2020 ranging from Arizona to Idaho via a number of national parks. They were in the company of some premier motorcars....including examples of Premier, Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost, Locomobile, Mercer, Simplex, Bugatti, and Pierce-Arrow. The Peerless Roadster has been seen all over the country for 50 years, but the 1912 7-P Touring Car is one I am not familiar with.

Screenshot 2021-12-26 at 8.00.53 PM.png 1912

Screenshot 2021-12-26 at 8.19.58 PM.png 1913

• 2 months later...

Thanks for putting that photo up. I saw it on the Detroit Public Library digital collection. It shows a dozen workers and three rear entrance tonneau motorcars. The one in the foreground may have a one-cylinder Peerless engine of Louis Mooers design.

Sources differ on the cars built and the cars sold in 1902. The PEERLESS AUTOMOBILES IN THE BRASS ERA: 1900-1915 book says 90, and The Standard Catalog says 238. They may have had some of the 1-cylinder Motorettes patterned after De Dion Bouton for sale early in the year -- in addition to the radically innovative front-engined models shown above. The April 15th date of the bulletin coupled with the "when the year's production of cars was less than a dozen" does not tell us much about the last 9 months of Peerless production.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This PEERLESS Model 6-61A Sedan sold recently for 45,950 Euros.

Source: ClassicDigest.com

1929 Peerless Model 60-Six is listed Sold on ClassicDigest in Aalter by  Oldtimerfarm Dealer for €45950. - ClassicDigest.com.......

Here is the text from the sales agency -- fairly accurate except:

a) a 60-Six Peerless had the largest engine ever put in a production car, 13.5 L, 825 cu. in., but these were 1912-1914 models

b) the Peerless-built V-8 was phased out for a Continental-built straight-8 in 1929, not 1930

c) there were 3 Peerless V-16 cars and 1 V-12 produced...as a matter of fact, all 4 were driven to Pasadena, CA from Cleveland

d) the last Peerless ever produced was not until November 7th, 1931...when a Custom Eight Sedan was built for Cleveland Chief of Police George Matowitz

Peerless Model 60-Six Model 61 '29 1929

General description : Lowered price from €49.950- €45.950 Dutch papers Coach n°: C613360 Vin n°: 11E8723 Engine: Peerless/Continental HE8723 Owner has the car for 23 years. Bought from a member of the Peerless Club in 1995. Older paint job in the original colors, purple with black mud guards. Interior is fully original, only the springs from the front seat have been replaced. Floor mats are remade copying the original ones. Peerless Motor Company produced motorcars in Cleveland, Ohio from 1900 to 1931. Â One of the "Three Ps"- Packard, Pierce-Arrow and Peerless - the company was known for building high-quality, luxury automobiles. Peerless popularized a number of vehicle innovations that later became standard equipment, including drum brakes and the first enclosed-body production cars. During WW I, Peerless manufactured military vehicle chassis and trucks. In 1929, the entire Peerless range was redesigned to compete with other vehicles produced by Stutz and Marmon. This move saw increased sales, and for 1930 another design refresh was undertaken. The Peerless-designed V8 was replaced by a Continental straight-8 as a cost-saving measure. However, the Great Depression of 1929 greatly reduced the sales of luxury automobiles. Peerless stripped down production and attempted to market one line of vehicles to wealthy Americans who were not affected by the depression. In 1930-31, Peerless commissioned Murphy Body Works to design what the company envisioned as its 1933 model. The task was assigned to a young frank Hershey, who produced a remarkably clean, elegant vehicle. A single V 16-engined 1931 Peerless was finished in June 1931, the last Peerless ever produced. Specifications Wheelbase : 294 cm (116 in) Weight : 1383 kg (3050 lbs Engine : straight six 3800 cc (231 cu in) 63 hp at 3600 rpm