cleaning white walls

jfarrell

Guest Tonys Buick

Try Mr. Clean's Magic Sponge, works much better than Westley's Tire White, won't hurt the white walls, and a lot less of a mess. I use them on my '49 Super, and the white walls on my Harley Davidson. I'm sure there are many more uses for these things on our cars besides just cleaning white walls.

-Tony

'49 Buick 56S Sedanette

'64 Skylark 2-dr. Hardtop

'65 Skylark 4-dr. Sedan

Guest 70 Electra

If the Westly's Bleech White doesn't do the job, a good old fashioned SOS pad (soap in steel wool) still works miracles on nasty old tires.

Guest imported_Thriller

Not sure how well it will work on yellowed tires, but Meguiar's has two products - #39 and #40 - which are vinyl and rubber cleaner / protectants. #39 is a bit more heavy duty of a cleaner. The plus to them is that they are made for automotive use and can be used on vinyl tops, interiors, etc.

I have used #40 and have been quite impressed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buick5563</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have never gotten Bleche-White to work (streaks horribly). Simple Green is the best. Cleans all the grease and everything else off. Leaves a natural non shiny finish.

Thanks Old Tank, for that tip...

Mike </div></div>

Mike, I usually do it when I wash my car, with the hose still hooked up. I go around to every tire and spray it liberally. Then I do it again almost immediately. I use a scrub brush with a little water to work up a lather, and scrub the hell out of each tire. I rinse wach tire when I'm finished, and they look like a million bucks. I've had great luck with bleech white.

Use Wal-Mart's Purple Power, it's $3.00 per gallon cheeper Castrol Super Clean. Spray on dry, rub rough steel wool on the white, brush the black, hose, repeat if necessary.. That's what I used in my detail shop. If there's a better way please share it with me. Mitch

For yellowed tires, clean them first (simple green or whatever), then wipe on and soak with mineral spirits. Wipe off. Then scrub with Simple Green. I've found that Simple Green is much better than Westley's Bleach White (even though they use my name). I wash with the Simple Green afterward to remove the "melting" abilities of the mineral spirits.

Simple Green and use a red Scotch-brite pad to scrub. I have used the Coker WW cleaner with good results and they claim it will not crack the walls like Bleche White. For very nasty yellow walls the Bleche White is probably best: saturate and soak for 10 minutes, scrub, repeat as needed or until tired and disgusted.

Willie

Guest Reatta1

Interesting variety of cleaning methods here, but here is my sugestion. A simple kitchen sponge with the abrasive material on one side soaked in plain old Classic Coke. Scrub the whitewalls then rinse with water and wipe dry with damp regular sponge. When you are all done, you can put the leftover coke in a glass of ice with three fingers of good rum and enjoy a job well done. blush.gif

Guest rlowrod

I know it sounds a little nuts but if you can't get the stain out with cleaner, sand the white walls will 600 grit wet and dry. works great.